Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-13-2020, 09:48 PM   #1
satinof10m5
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 m5

Puff of blue smoke out of tail pipes after a long idle

Hey guys, hoping some can help me out with this. I have a 2012 f10 m5. Car has a lot of mods. Car has been running great but recently noticed after a long idle once I hit the gas there a big puff of blue smoke. I know she like to burn oil but the puff of blue smoke just recently started to happen. Doesn't puff smoke after that just after idling for a while. I know there is a bunch of threads on this issue but no one has actually came across a solution. Could it be oil leaking into the valves or is it my turbos?? I would really appreciate if you guys could help me out with this one.

Thanks matt
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #2
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Could be either, turbos or valve seals. How about after the car has been sitting parked for a day or so, do you get a puff of blue smoke on start up?
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
satinof10m5
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
Could be either, turbos or valve seals. How about after the car has been sitting parked for a day or so, do you get a puff of blue smoke on start up?
No, the car will sit and there's no blue smoke on start up. After initial start up once car isles for a few minutes and then I hit the gas a nice puff come out but then after nothing really unless it idles again for a while.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
F10CPROG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition

Are you sure its smoke? Does it smell oily?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
satinof10m5
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10CPROG View Post
Are you sure its smoke? Does it smell oily?
Yes it does. Definitely oil, very strange it just started to do it too. I've seen a few threads on the same issue but no one has ever diagnosed the oroblem
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:26 AM   #6
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Rings or turbo or valve stem seals

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 05:36 AM   #7
M5Yams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m5 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by satinof10m5 View Post
Hey guys, hoping some can help me out with this. I have a 2012 f10 m5. Car has a lot of mods. Car has been running great but recently noticed after a long idle once I hit the gas there a big puff of blue smoke. I know she like to burn oil but the puff of blue smoke just recently started to happen. Doesn't puff smoke after that just after idling for a while. I know there is a bunch of threads on this issue but no one has actually came across a solution. Could it be oil leaking into the valves or is it my turbos?? I would really appreciate if you guys could help me out with this one.

Thanks matt
I would say you have a slow leak of oil into the combustion chamber, the only reason you aren't seeing it all the time is because the engine is pushing it out but at idle it doesnt have the same pressure. I have read that a lot of guys will get that puff of oil out of the tailpipe and they will used a can of seafoam on their car and the issue stops entirely. I personally haven't tried it yet but I have been thinking about it as it's a pretty highly rated product. My guess is the same as everyone else rings, turbos, or valve cover gasket, but I'd try seafoam first.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #8
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
It's not valve stem seals if you have no smoke on start up.

Might be a PCV system problem? At idle is the highest vacuum level. So as mentioned already, the engine is pulling oil in from somewhere while under vacuum conditions.

Have you noticed an increase in oil consumption yet? Seeing smoke makes it look like a ton of oil might be burning, but in reality it doesn't take much oil to make smoke.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #9
satinof10m5
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Yams View Post
Quote:

Thanks matt
I would say you have a slow leak of oil into the combustion chamber, the only reason you aren't seeing it all the time is because the engine is pushing it out but at idle it doesnt have the same pressure. I have read that a lot of guys will get that puff of oil out of the tailpipe and they will used a can of seafoam on their car and the issue stops entirely. I personally haven't tried it yet but I have been thinking about it as it's a pretty highly rated product. My guess is the same as everyone else rings, turbos, or valve cover gasket, but I'd try seafoam first.
Sea foam? How do I apply it? Never heard of it before. Do you have anymore information? Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:30 AM   #10
satinof10m5
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
It's not valve stem seals if you have no smoke on start up.

Might be a PCV system problem? At idle is the highest vacuum level. So as mentioned already, the engine is pulling oil in from somewhere while under vacuum conditions.

Have you noticed an increase in oil consumption yet? Seeing smoke makes it look like a ton of oil might be burning, but in reality it doesn't take much oil to make smoke.
Yes, I have noticed that there is more oil consumption . Probably burned over 1 quart of oil with in 1500km.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:21 PM   #11
M5Yams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m5 competition

Quote:
Sea foam? How do I apply it? Never heard of it before. Do you have anymore information? Thanks for the info.
Yup Sea Foam engine treatment, the have stuff for fuel system cleaning and crankcase cleaning( the one I think you would want to give a shot) They are really well reviewed and many people have said its slowed or stopped their oil consumption. I would give it a google but you can pick it up from Autozone I believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #12
satinof10m5
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Yams View Post
Quote:
Yup Sea Foam engine treatment, the have stuff for fuel system cleaning and crankcase cleaning( the one I think you would want to give a shot) They are really well reviewed and many people have said its slowed or stopped their oil consumption. I would give it a google but you can pick it up from Autozone I believe.
Awesome thank you so much for the info!! Appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 02:26 AM   #13
sinth
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

any updates on what this was?
Appreciate 0