Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-25-2022, 08:40 PM   #1
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black sapphire M5

What's up !

So I've had my f10 m5 from day 1, 2013 m5 currently at 96k miles. Has 1 accident on it from back in 2017, always been treated well no rebuilt title.

This isn't my only car so not crushed on really selling, but sad news of a bad piston ring. (Turns out it's bad stem seals, after having a 2nd opinion)

Do I rebuild to an upgraded block capable of 800hp, do the valve stem job or do I sell as is for discount. Do I drop about 5k on a car that's probably worth about 30k… or use 40k as a down payment on something else.
M5Rick60060.50
      05-25-2022, 08:56 PM   #2
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Hmmm interesting situation.

On one hand, if you sell it for ~$12k, it'd be like selling it for $25k-$30k since you save the engine costs.

On the other, if this is your fun car, then you'd have a potentially trouble free, new engine to enjoy for a long time.

Thing is, with these replacement engines, shit could happen to them too. I know a person who had their engine blow up, replaced with an RK forged engine, and then that blew up not even a year later. Now is it the tune, the install, the engine, etc.? Each company will blame the other and you're still without an engine.

You had it for almost 10 years now and 100k miles, if I were you I'd move on to something else to experience. But I've been keeping my cars about 2 years at most these days. To be honest, I don't know what you'd replace with that's as fun as our cars though.
Appreciate 2
Mdriv3r148.50
      05-25-2022, 10:47 PM   #3
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post

On one hand, if you sell it for ~$12k, it'd be like selling it for $25k-$30k since you save the engine costs.

On the other, if this is your fun car, then you'd have a potentially trouble free, new engine to enjoy for a long time.

Thing is, with these replacement engines, shit could happen to them too. I know a person who had their engine blow up, replaced with an RK forged engine, and then that blew up not even a year later. Now is it the tune, the install, the engine, etc.? Each company will blame the other and you're still without an engine.

You had it for almost 10 years now and 100k miles, if I were you I'd move on to something else to experience. But I've been keeping my cars about 2 years at most these days. To be honest, I don't know what you'd replace with that's as fun as our cars though.
Thank you for the feedback Raz.

If I move on it will be to a f90 comp cert pre owned.

Maybe I'll just throw my f10 on eBay, hoping someone see it for the great deal it will be. It's paid off, so not really pressed.

Side of me want to keep, rebuild the motor and hop into a 2021-2022 m4 comp awd. But not in the mood to wait for a new build.
      05-26-2022, 12:49 AM   #4
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Brandoe View Post
Quote:

Maybe I'll just throw my f10 on eBay, hoping someone see it for the great deal it will be. It's paid off, so not really pressed.

Side of me want to keep, rebuild the motor and hop into a 2021-2022 m4 comp awd. But not in the mood to wait for a new build.
Sorry to hear. If you dont rebuild it. I might be interested in purchasing it. Feel free to post here or pm me. If you keep it, there are a couple engine builds to check out.
F90 is a great setup. Just stock the 0-60 speeds are top ten at the moment.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2022, 01:27 AM   #5
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Sure thing man. At the end of the day you could also fix the engine and get an F90…

Car's paid off, it's "only" 12-15k. Keep the F90 stock as a daily and the F10 safely modified as a canyon car.

I'm pretty sure Carbahn Autoworks has a two year unlimited mileage warranty on all their engines. They're about an hour from me so I can even help out if needed.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2022, 08:18 AM   #6
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdriv3r View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry to hear. If you dont rebuild it. I might be interested in purchasing it. Feel free to post here or pm me. If you keep it, there are a couple engine builds to check out.
F90 is a great setup. Just stock the 0-60 speeds are top ten at the moment.
Thank you.

I will keep you posted.
      05-26-2022, 08:20 AM   #7
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure thing man. At the end of the day you could also fix the engine and get an F90…

Car's paid off, it's "only" 12-15k. Keep the F90 stock as a daily and the F10 safely modified as a canyon car.

I'm pretty sure Carbahn Autoworks has a two year unlimited mileage warranty on all their engines. They're about an hour from me so I can even help out if needed.
"Only" lol but thank you for that offer. May take you up on it if I go that route of rebuilding.

I'll give my self some time to think on it. Really love the platform, but also rather spend the money on a new platform and experience.
      05-26-2022, 07:09 PM   #8
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

I'd rebuild it and enjoy. I've got about 20 k on my rebuild and the car is still awesome every day. 101k mile on my 2015 comp. Shipped my car to Pure Performance in Houston was under 14k for a stock rebuild with upgraded bearings.
Appreciate 2
SCD-1983575.50
      05-26-2022, 07:19 PM   #9
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etnsandman View Post
I'd rebuild it and enjoy. I've got about 20 k on my rebuild and the car is still awesome every day. 101k mile on my 2015 comp. Shipped my car to Pure Performance in Houston was under 14k for a stock rebuild with upgraded bearings.
Thank you for this info ! I've been in touch with them about rebuilding as well. It's good to know someone from the forum has used them. I seen some reviews and some IG post with customers, makes me feel more comfortable.

Are you stock ? Or tuned during that 20k miles ? If you're tuned, would you mind messaging me your hp and tq during that 20k.

Thank you
      06-02-2022, 10:24 AM   #10
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
TinCanSailor has had his engine rebuilt too, he seems to have had a good experience with his
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2022, 03:39 PM   #11
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update !

So I took my car to a reputable shop well known in the tuning world. They look over the entire car, and pin pointed the issue to valve stem seals.

Kind of a relief, it not being a worn piston ring… but still a big job, but not as expensive.

This is why it's good to always get a second opinion on things.
M5Rick60060.50
      06-11-2022, 04:28 PM   #12
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update !

So I took my car to a reputable shop well known in the tuning world. They look over the entire car, and pin pointed the issue to valve stem seals.

Kind of a relief, it not being a worn piston ring… but still a big job, but not as expensive.

How much will that be?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 04:38 PM   #13
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Update !

How much will that be?
Quoted $4200 for the valve stem job vs 12-14k rebuild. So it's a big difference.

But.. being if I go and do the stems, I would rebuild.
      06-11-2022, 04:43 PM   #14
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

That's not bad at all! Why would you rebuild?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 04:45 PM   #15
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's not bad at all! Why would you rebuild?
So I say the same thing… but with the mileage you don't expect anything else will wear ? Maybe rod bearings ?
      06-11-2022, 04:55 PM   #16
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

You never know at that mileage. It's kind of like buying a warranty because something COULD go wrong. I'm more of a fan of keeping the money in a bank account or even safely invested.

You also have the fortune of knowing the car's history from the beginning. How often you've changed the oil, how you've driven it when cold, if it's tuned, etc. If taken care of, rod bearings shouldn't be an issue on these engines, although there are outliers.

If you're worried about it you could put the $4k and sell it after. However if I bought it new, I'd hate to realize such a loss so I'd be much more inclined to keep it, even if it's just a weekend fun car.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2022, 05:05 PM   #17
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You never know at that mileage. It's kind of like buying a warranty because something COULD go wrong. I'm more of a fan of keeping the money in a bank account or even safely invested.

You also have the fortune of knowing the car's history from the beginning. How often you've changed the oil, how you've driven it when cold, if it's tuned, etc. If taken care of, rod bearings shouldn't be an issue on these engines, although there are outliers.

If you're worried about it you could put the $4k and sell it after. However if I bought it new, I'd hate to realize such a loss so I'd be much more inclined to keep it, even if it's just a weekend fun car.
You're right.

Thank you for all the feedback Raz, it def helps makes me look at it from a different angle also.

I'll be making a decision soon.
      06-11-2022, 05:09 PM   #18
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Sure thing brother! I go through the same thoughts and sometimes have to remind myself to calm down lol
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2022, 11:25 AM   #19
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
TinCanSailor has had his engine rebuilt too, he seems to have had a good experience with his
Celebrating 2year with my stock build by RKAutowerks Car has just under 100k miles on it and looks mint and the engine has never been stronger.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 02:24 PM   #20
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Quoted $4200 for the valve stem job vs 12-14k rebuild. So it's a big difference.

But.. being if I go and do the stems, I would rebuild.
Inferno has 150k on the clock and has never rebuilt so I'd do just the stems.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 04:21 PM   #21
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Celebrating 2year with my stock build by RKAutowerks Car has just under 100k miles on it and looks mint and the engine has never been stronger.
I will chime in for RK as well. When they say its an enthusiast shop run by enthusiasts, they aren't lying. They are also work with a warranty company and exclusively does engines for them for this car. I got mine done last month and the communication was great. Mike sent me pictures of things he noticed about the car, was able to essentially bring up concerns based on what things looked like including pictures of my engine as it was taken out. Many of which, I had already addressed, some of which shed light into what I got when I purchased it used despite the fact that I sent it to a reputable performance shop for pre purchase inspection. Either way... I had the same dilemma, and at the end of the day, I realized that I would miss the car. It feels good, looks good, makes me happy... happier than anything else that I would get paying for the new engine minus the cost of chunking the car at a deep discount. I got a tour when I picked it up.. their shop is immaculate. They are also a warranty engine shop. These guys have invested in this... they know what they are doing. The conversations that I have had have been extremely insightful. We went for a ride and he told me things to do, things to look out for, gave me oil recommendations. They actually put in motul 300v 15w-50 so I guess thats what I will start doing. Turn around time was like 5 weeks, mainly because I went ahead and told them to put in forged pistons and rods "just in case..." I have no regrets. I love this car.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2022, 05:01 PM   #22
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddjay View Post
I will chime in for RK as well. When they say its an enthusiast shop run by enthusiasts, they aren't lying. They are also work with a warranty company and exclusively does engines for them for this car. I got mine done last month and the communication was great. Mike sent me pictures of things he noticed about the car, was able to essentially bring up concerns based on what things looked like including pictures of my engine as it was taken out. Many of which, I had already addressed, some of which shed light into what I got when I purchased it used despite the fact that I sent it to a reputable performance shop for pre purchase inspection. Either way... I had the same dilemma, and at the end of the day, I realized that I would miss the car. It feels good, looks good, makes me happy... happier than anything else that I would get paying for the new engine minus the cost of chunking the car at a deep discount. I got a tour when I picked it up.. their shop is immaculate. They are also a warranty engine shop. These guys have invested in this... they know what they are doing. The conversations that I have had have been extremely insightful. We went for a ride and he told me things to do, things to look out for, gave me oil recommendations. They actually put in motul 300v 15w-50 so I guess thats what I will start doing. Turn around time was like 5 weeks, mainly because I went ahead and told them to put in forged pistons and rods "just in case..." I have no regrets. I love this car.
Well said. My only regret is not doing the forged rods and pistons.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0