M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #45
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
I can't get past that ugly grille on the CTS-V. looks like it belongs on Mike Jones teeth. interior is even worse then the exterior. but if you're seeking a sedan with monster strait line power, you could do far worse I suppose
I'd have to say that the CTS-V is about more than just straight line power. For starters, look at its Ring lap time. Spanked the M3 by over 15 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I have to disagree with you on the interior. The interior of CTS-V has few nice touches and might look better then the interior of a basic BMW 1 series. Offcourse the cheapest BMW made car in its lineup 1 series is not the best to compare against when it comes to interior quality. It is a 1 series for a reason.

CTS-V is not in the same ball park as M3, M5, or M6 interior which feel more substantial in interior fit and finish and quality of material. Ditto goes for Audi, MB, Jaguar, or even Lexus competitors interiors they all are superior to the CTS interior.

On the other hand it is one of the best interiors among USA made cars. Anyone that is buying the CTS-V knows it is not for the interior it is for a great performance bargain and overall decent pkg.
I'd agree with pretty much everything said here. I thought the CTS-V nav. screen was chintzy but IMHO the E9X M3 interior is pretty crappy too. That's coming from an E90 owner. Just looks outdated. Materials are nice though.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #46
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I'd have to say that the CTS-V is about more than just straight line power. For starters, look at its Ring lap time. Spanked the M3 by over 15 seconds.
Amazing how far some have their heads buried in the 'sand'.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #47
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post

They think only euro cars can handle, when even a mustang out handles the M3. Right now, American cars are out handling anything from around the world.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #48
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post

They think only euro cars can handle, when even a mustang out handles the M3. Right now, American cars are out handling anything from around the world.
I'm one that will appreciate/buy a quality car made by any manufacturer (well, almost any ), regardless of country of origin. Definitely not brand myopic.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #49
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:

I'd agree with pretty much everything said here. I thought the CTS-V nav. screen was chintzy but IMHO the E9X M3 interior is pretty crappy too. That's coming from an E90 owner. Just looks outdated. Materials are nice though.
I'd like to see you match that time in a CTS-V...

Here's an example. Ford claims the Boss 302 is faster then several cars including the M3 at Laguna Seca. Reality is, the Boss has never beaten the M3's times at any other track when tested by several non-american magazines including Evo. Manufacturers lie. Thats why no one cars about Ring times anymore unless independently tested.

Last edited by Digital.James; 05-20-2012 at 07:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #50
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
amazing how far some people have their heads up some dude's "ass"
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #51
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Because two people are in agreement that you're clueless and made an ignorant comment? You're just making yourself look even more unintelligent.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #52
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'd like to see you match that time in a CTS-V...

Here's an example. Ford claims the Boss 302 is faster then several cars including the M3 at Laguna Seca. Reality is, the Boss has never beaten the M3's times at any other track when tested by several non-american magazines including Evo. Manufacturers lie. Thats why no one cars about Ring times anymore unless independently tested.
I'd like to see you match the M3's time.

Who cares about the Boss 302? 1 second is substantial. 15 is an eternity.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #53
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Because two people are in agreement that you're clueless and made an ignorant comment? You're just making yourself look even more unintelligent.
where was the ignorant comment? you can act all holy and shit, but the fact is, I'm right and you're wrong. Prove me wrong with solid independent testing that the CTS-V is faster around a track that isn't from Road and Track or Car and Driver (the two most lying auto pubs out there). It isn't there, and does not exist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34
I'd like to see you match the M3's time.

Who cares about the Boss 302? 1 second is substantial. 15 is an eternity.
I'd bet my time was closer to the reported time then the CTS-Vs. The M3s time has been proven by multiple independent tests, where as the CTS-V can't come close to any domestic testing abroad. Why do you think GM has such a bad rap in Europe (See ZR1). Not sure why you can't understand. A factory tweaked car running a quick time proves nothing. Same reason why Chris Harris called out Ferrari, GM is lying and sending out "special cars".

Last edited by Digital.James; 05-20-2012 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #54
EvosM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: WTB E90 M3

I like the styling of the CTS and the interior (besides the horrible seats) isn't too bad. The biggest winner is the Bose surround system in the Caddy, I can guarantee you nothing beats the way it sounds. Not even the Bang and Olufsen in some Audi's.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #55
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
where was the ignorant comment? you can fucking act all holy and shit, but the fact is, I'm right and you're wrong. Prove me wrong with solid independent testing that the CTS-V is faster around a track that isn't from Road and Track or Car and Driver (the two most lying auto pubs out there). It isn't there, and does not exist...
Ignorant comment here-" but if you're seeking a sedan with monster strait line power, you could do far worse I suppose"

By all accounts I've seen the CTS-V has be lauded by the vast majority of reviews as a very good handling car and not just a 'strait' line powered car you claim. You fail right there.
Just because you think the two mags are biased and so is the Nurburgring times doesnt make it so. It just makes you paranoid and a tin foil hat wearing, head up ass, myopic, foreign car is better attitude BS you're spewing here.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #56
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Ignorant comment here-" but if you're seeking a sedan with monster strait line power, you could do far worse I suppose"

By all accounts I've seen the CTS-V has be lauded by the vast majority of reviews as a very good handling car and not just a 'strait' line powered car you claim. You fail right there.
Just because you think the two mags are biased and so is the Nurburgring times doesnt make it so. It just makes you paranoid and a tin foil hat wearing, head up ass, myopic, foreign car is better attitude BS you're spewing here.

As if the euro car mags arent biased. Give them a car with torque and they cant drive. They'll have you believe a 400hp car is as fast as 600hp car.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #57
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
where was the ignorant comment? you can fucking act all holy and shit, but the fact is, I'm right and you're wrong. Prove me wrong with solid independent testing that the CTS-V is faster around a track that isn't from Road and Track or Car and Driver (the two most lying auto pubs out there). It isn't there, and does not exist...

I'd bet my time was closer to the reported time then the CTS-Vs. The M3s time has been proven by multiple independent tests, where as the CTS-V can't come close to any domestic testing abroad. Why do you think GM has such a bad rap in Europe (See ZR1). Not sure why you can't understand. A factory tweaked car running a quick time proves nothing. Same reason why Chris Harris called out Ferrari, GM is lying and sending out "special cars".
You have a personal Ring lap time to report? I'm all ears.

Caddy didn't too bad here against a Competition Package M3. Realize that because of the power/size discrepancy this isn't a true apples to apples comparison.

But because the Cadillac "won" the review was biased, right?

http://www.insideline.com/cadillac/c...-m3-coupe.html

You do realize that the verified lap time by the CTS-V was a full 15 seconds+ faster than the M3, right? That's a huge gap.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #58
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Beat the M3 here too:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/laptimes/4ca79a3c1ebd6.html

Is it faster on every track? Probably not. Will the driver make a difference? Always - no matter the car.

Point is the CTS-V can hang and you kind of just popped off at the mouth, for whatever reason, before you knew much about it. It's okay bro. Your car is still awesome but I assure you that there's always someone/something faster.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #59
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

There are fanbois (well at least one) here and there are auto enthusiasts here, certain individuals should be ignored
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #60
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Why not just import it from the US?
      05-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #61
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I agree with you the E9x interior design can look pretty plain without the i-drive NAV. But that is because most BMW interiors are designed with i-drive in mind without them they look lost. That is why in higher series cars like 5, 6 and 7 even if you do not get the NAV system you still get the i-drive screen for aesthetic purposes.

None the less you are right the fit and finish is still nice for BMW and Caddy is close but not there yet.

Oh and another thing is that sitting in both my best friends M3's it seems like BMW did a half ass job on the center tunnel for M3's right around the gear box to where the center armrest or storage bin is located. Because in my E92 335i the wood interior runs all the way up to the armrest from the gear box. The entire center tunnel has matching wood. But in the M3 there is no wood or carbon fiber instead a plain jane naked black plastic. Why BMW.....it makes no sense.

Just take a look at these two pics.....why would BMW do half a** job on M car? vs non M car.

One thing that I did like about the CTS-V interior was the suede steering wheel cover it felt real nice and soft on the race track.

Quote:

nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 05-20-2012 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #62
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post

As if the euro car mags arent biased. Give them a car with torque and they cant drive. They'll have you believe a 400hp car is as fast as 600hp car.
Yeah I love how only the American rags can possibly be biased. But the Euro rags.... INCONCEIVABLE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_coder View Post
I think thats a joke, a bad one

Remember that Nurburgring its a benchmark, but most cars from US that "handles like europe cars" are set up just for this specific course. In real road situation and other courses mustang, cadillac etc didnt have a chance. Thrust me I ested lots of cars in my job and writing " American cars outhandling anything from around the world" its just funny... oh wait.. it isnt even funny.

I agree new US cars handles a lot better than models from past years but still dont have this finess , lightness in driving, and allover driver feel. They are just overpowered so they can gain some time on straight thats all. I was at ring few times and i suggested you to go there before you speak sentences like that again.

Dont get me wrong i live US cars for sound they make and power ( Viper srt and Vette Z06 are my fav ) but still when it comes of proper handing and connection between car and driver there is still a lot work to do
"Just for this specific course", referring to the 'Ring? You do know why manufacturers bench there, right? Because it covers pretty much every aspect of balancing a chassis. It's a highly technical and widely varying course.

Please list your credentials behind your expertise on these vehicles, along with a list of those you have driven and where (which I'm sure the Z06, CTS-V, and BOSS are on, right???). Also, I'm not sure if you realize this, but your sig screams, HEY I'M VIOLATING ToU, PERMABAN MY IPS IMMEDIATELY. You might want to change that, especially before posting in a thread with a mod.

Anyway, for those saying the times for the American cars are "fake", maybe take a look at the guys who put up a lot of those times. Pobst has chosen Euro cars over American cars after driving them back to back on the same course, even when the American cars win. Now tell me.... Why would he sandbag the Euro car and then pick it anyway? He wouldn't.

I think it still takes more skill to extract the full potential of a lot of these cars, BOSS and Shelby included (and I'd imagine CTS-V and ZL1 as well). The balance of steering and feedback along with their predictable tendencies at the limit make the amateur driver feel like they can go faster in the M3 versus some of these cars. That makes a metric shit tonne of sense. However, one has to realize that these professional drivers, like Pobst, have the skill and experience to drive the American cars much faster than your average Joe. It doesn't surprise me that some of you think the M3 is faster from the driver's seat. That's to be expected when amateurs are at the wheel (<--- This is NOT a dig at anyone, I'm an amateur too). However, this isn't necessarily going to translate to faster lap times in the hands of a pro. They're professionals for a reason.

As far as the accusation that GM sent out a hero car to do that lap.... Who doesn't send ringers to the media? Off the top of my head, the ridonkulous '07 335i that was making rounds is one I can think of. All manufacturers do it. If your hero car doesn't lap as fast as the other guy's hero car, maybe their car is indeed faster? Maybe you just suck at setting up your hero car.... I don't know. But in the end, why is it so hard to believe a 556 HP car can lap the ring that fast? Because of its weight? Well I don't mean to compare the CTS-V to the GT-R, but Godzilla has proven weight can be effectively ignored to an extent (albeit through a great AWD system). What about the M5? That thing has been thumbing its nose at curb weight for a long time too. So now when Cadillac does it, it must be faked? Gimme a freaking break.

Last edited by ragingclue; 05-21-2012 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #63
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Where are you guys seeing $12,500 off MSRP, best I can see online is $2k to dealers and $2k in loyalty or conquest cash?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #64
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I agree with you the E9x interior design can look pretty plain without the i-drive NAV. But that is because most BMW interiors are designed with i-drive in mind without them they look lost. That is why in higher series cars like 5, 6 and 7 even if you do not get the NAV system you still get the i-drive screen for aesthetic purposes.

None the less you are right the fit and finish is still nice for BMW and Caddy is close but not there yet.

Oh and another thing is that sitting in both my best friends M3's it seems like BMW did a half ass job on the center tunnel for M3's right around the gear box to where the center armrest or storage bin is located. Because in my E92 335i the wood interior runs all the way up to the armrest from the gear box. The entire center tunnel has matching wood. But in the M3 there is no wood or carbon fiber instead a plain jane naked black plastic. Why BMW.....it makes no sense.

Just take a look at these two pics.....why would BMW do half a** job on M car? vs non M car.

One thing that I did like about the CTS-V interior was the suede steering wheel cover it felt real nice and soft on the race track.

Jesus what do you guys drive Bentleys???

The interior is Awesome.. The seats don't peal, the buttons work right, you can see the digital screen, and best of all no foam dash.. Its a win win everywhere..
Attached Images

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #65
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I personally would like the interior better if it was less glossy, and I abhor pop-up nav screens.

But I still like it better than the E9X interior. Again, just MHO.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #66
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I personally would like the interior better if it was less glossy, and I abhor pop-up nav screens.

But I still like it better than the E9X interior. Again, just MHO.
My girlfriend HATEs American cars it took 2 trips to the dealership just to convince her to sit in it and she was shocked.. I didn't like the way the seats looked but man were they comfortable.

When I have been looking for cars to replace my BMW I never dreamed it would be a Cadillac. But its that good.

Also I will NEVER deal with BMW ever again.. BMW NA obviously didn't want my business the way they treated me. They kiss your ass when you are buying the car but when you need help cus the car is having problems they do not care.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0