M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
copovi
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m5

2014 BMW M5 Dinan Chip

Any one out there having problems with the dinan chip? I had one installed on my bmw m5 2014 and have been encountering a few problems. After spending three weeks at the bmw dealership and with their techs we unplugged the dianan chip and haven't had any further issues. While the chip was installed my driver assistance (blind spot, lane departure system) were sending malfunction signals as well as the deactivating themselves on their own. After unplugging the chip, everything went back to normal. Anyone having same kind of issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by copovi
Any one out there having problems with the dinan chip? I had one installed on my bmw m5 2014 and have been encountering a few problems. After spending three weeks at the bmw dealership and with their techs we unplugged the dianan chip and haven't had any further issues. While the chip was installed my driver assistance (blind spot, lane departure system) were sending malfunction signals as well as the deactivating themselves on their own. After unplugging the chip, everything went back to normal. Anyone having same kind of issues?
My car was the test mule. I have had three boxes since for test purposes until the latest firmware arrived. I have not had this issue like that. The ECUs should be unrelated to those features. I wonder if they loosened some other plugs in the install process?

Keep us posted.
      01-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rivian R1T

Yes. Just installed and also encountering these problems. No dealer response yet. Interestingly, my heated steering wheel is not working as well. Hope they can find a solution or I'm removing mine and getting refund.
      01-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Copovi, f12m6md, who did the Dinan installation?

Was it done at a bmw dealership?

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

I think its best to go back to Dinan for it.
i'm sure they have good customer services.
      01-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

I think its best to go back to Dinan for it.
i'm sure they have good customer services.
      01-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
copovi
Rep

Spinny02, ever since the BMW tech unplugged the chip, no other warnings or issues came up. I have spoken to the Dinan dealer that installed the chip and was told to drive for a few days to make sure that it is the chip and if needed they would do a software update. I will post any updates next week after my test drive without chip is over.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #8
copovi
Rep

David12, the chip was installed by an authorized Dinan dealer. However, because the issues I was having and being that the car is under warranty, I decided to go to the dealership. Especially since it was BMW that told me at first that they did not think that my issues had anything to do it the chip.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #9
copovi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
My car was the test mule. I have had three boxes since for test purposes until the latest firmware arrived. I have not had this issue like that. The ECUs should be unrelated to those features. I wonder if they loosened some other plugs in the install process?

Keep us posted.
The dealership was also under the impression that the issues were unrelated to the chip. After trying everything else they went by process of elimination starting with unplugging the chip. All issues have disappeared for the time being (two days later).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Ok sounds like the dealer needs to work with Dinan to get this resolved. They will take great care of you and get you 100%
      01-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep

Good to know. Hope this gets resolved by Dinan soon. My install was by a Dinan BMW dealer too.
      01-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #12
Hawkeye1
Displaced Iowan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by copovi
I have Stage 1 and have experienced none of the problems you describe. Good luck, and I agree with Spinny. Between Dinan and the dealer, you should be taken care of.
2018 911 GT3 (Manual) - Mine
2013 911 S Cabriolet - Mostly mine
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #13
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have installed many Dinantronics and have never experienced any of those issue's you described.
The harness plugs directly into both factory ECU's
I wonder if it was a installation error by the technician
Hope it all works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #14
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep

Update...

Have not experienced any Driver Assistance or steering wheel heating errors since the one time last week. I have driven the car hard recently and nothing is popping up now....good news. Still don't know the link between the few of us with similar problems. Maybe the install has the potential to interfere with those systems. Who knows. Nonetheless, I'm not removing the system. The car is much faster and I love it!

Mark
      01-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #15
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Mark we're gonna have to run our cars again now. I had sent u a text
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #16
Thompson_Performance
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F12M6MD View Post
Update...

Have not experienced any Driver Assistance or steering wheel heating errors since the one time last week. I have driven the car hard recently and nothing is popping up now....good news. Still don't know the link between the few of us with similar problems. Maybe the install has the potential to interfere with those systems. Who knows. Nonetheless, I'm not removing the system. The car is much faster and I love it!

Mark
What was the outcome? Did the dealer update the software and now your issues are resolved? I only ask because we that exact issue with a M5 with dinantronics.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #17
copovi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson_Performance View Post
What was the outcome? Did the dealer update the software and now your issues are resolved? I only ask because we that exact issue with a M5 with dinantronics.
At this moment the car is with the dinan dealer that installed the chip and they are working on it to resolve the issue, I will post again once I get the car back or I hear of any updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #18
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The error occurred the morning after install. It was driving fine from the dealership for 20 miles, then parked overnight. I parked car for weekend then on Sunday evening the car started and drove without error. Because no error has returned, I have not gone back to BMW. Interestingly, I have not heard via email from either my SA or parts manager at dealership. Dinan_Engineering here on the forum has been very responsive but without conclusion as they hadn't heard of or seen this error before. Spinny also did not encounter these errors despite being the guinea pig for this piggyback. So far I cannot pin down the reason for the error. All I can say is my car is driving and operating normally for now. Weird stuff. Is the issue with the M5 ongoing over multiple days and restarts etc?

Mark
      01-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #19
Thompson_Performance
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F12M6MD View Post
The error occurred the morning after install. It was driving fine from the dealership for 20 miles, then parked overnight. I parked car for weekend then on Sunday evening the car started and drove without error. Because no error has returned, I have not gone back to BMW. Interestingly, I have not heard via email from either my SA or parts manager at dealership. Dinan_Engineering here on the forum has been very responsive but without conclusion as they hadn't heard of or seen this error before. Spinny also did not encounter these errors despite being the guinea pig for this piggyback. So far I cannot pin down the reason for the error. All I can say is my car is driving and operating normally for now. Weird stuff. Is the issue with the M5 ongoing over multiple days and restarts etc?

Mark
Our errors only occurs when the vehicle sits over night and first started in the morning. We thought we fixed the car but the issues came back. The harness was removed today and we will re check the vehicle in the morning. Currently our software computer is down so I can't check for updates. I will most likely call Dinan tomorrow after we let the vehicle sit.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #20
F12M6MD
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Our errors only occurs when the vehicle sits over night and first started in the morning. We thought we fixed the car but the issues came back. The harness was removed today and we will re check the vehicle in the morning. Currently our software computer is down so I can't check for updates. I will most likely call Dinan tomorrow after we let the vehicle sit.
Hmmm. Very strange. Keep us posted.

Mark
      01-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #21
copovi
Rep

Ok got my car back today and i will drive it for few days and will post any update, i want to say thank you to the people at Dinan as well the guys at Dinamic for looking in to this and coordinating with each other on resolving the issue. Hopefully in my next post i will be writing about the new Dinan product to add to the car........
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #22
Thompson_Performance
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by copovi View Post
Ok got my car back today and i will drive it for few days and will post any update, i want to say thank you to the people at Dinan as well the guys at Dinamic for looking in to this and coordinating with each other on resolving the issue. Hopefully in my next post i will be writing about the new Dinan product to add to the car........
Did they happen to discuss with you what the fix was?
Appreciate 0