BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
I remember a while back one of the mods posted something regarding a HP cap of 600. Was that a reference to this special edition BMW, in other words was that for this generation only? Or is that definite for generations to come?
This is the most powerful BMW street car to date. Probably won't last forever.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 01:20 AM   #24
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

07-30-2015, 02:26 AM   #25
neo871
Major
Romania
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive MPPSK

Spine-tingling, as they say!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 03:02 AM   #26
fsfikke
Private
Rep
Drives: 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Can't wait for my next ED in the G90.
That's gonna take a while, maybe start with the F90 first
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 05:17 AM   #27
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NlckyBlack View Post
Americans are too incompetent and ignorant to even understand how to drive like the Germans. Having driven on the autobahn, its such a refreshing feeling to be a part of something where everybody's on the same page and you can safely share the road with a vehicle doing 80mph or 180mph.
After living in Germany for 8 years I agree 100% I loved when I picked my baby up there best few days of my driving life!!! Only here in America can you be on the Highway an see three dump trucks doing a drag race at 45 in a 65 zone......
2002 M5 Carbon Black (sold) should have never sold her
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 05:38 AM   #28
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
I remember a while back one of the mods posted something regarding a HP cap of 600. Was that a reference to this special edition BMW, in other words was that for this generation only? Or is that definite for generations to come?
That was in reference to a rwd m5 platform.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 06:13 AM   #29
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruza View Post
Driving the Autobahn is one of the main reasons I've done an ED on both of my ///M Cars. The drivers there have much better discipline, respect, everything.

Dont think I saw any idiots weaving in and out of traffic out there. The left lane stays clear for those who are DRIVING.
I have just returned from my summer holiday in Northern Italy. We drove from Copenhagen, through Denmark, Germany on the Autobahn, Austria, Switzerland and of course to Italy.

My God I love the Autobahn - not just for the sheer excitement of the de-restricted sections, but for the nice wide stretches with a very well disciplined German people driving them..

I love every part of the trip, because of the variation of the nature and roads, but the best part of the 1650 kilometer (each way) stretch was by far Switzerland though - God it's beautiful - you drive through mountains and are constantly presented with waterfalls, big lakes AND roads like the one attached here
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #30
timot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F31 340i M Sport

That vid was great. Instills a kind of pride for German made driving machines.
Sold - 2003 BMW E39 530i M SPORT - CLASSIC Q
Sold - 2004 AUDI B6 S4 AVANT - THE UNICORN
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #31
13M5F10
Hide! My wife's coming!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 | MSR Stage 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
I have just returned from my summer holiday in Northern Italy. We drove from Copenhagen, through Denmark, Germany on the Autobahn, Austria, Switzerland and of course to Italy.

My God I love the Autobahn - not just for the sheer excitement of the de-restricted sections, but for the nice wide stretches with a very well disciplined German people driving them..

I love every part of the trip, because of the variation of the nature and roads, but the best part of the 1650 kilometer (each way) stretch was by far Switzerland though - God it's beautiful - you drive through mountains and are constantly presented with waterfalls, big lakes AND roads like the one attached here
I couldn't agree more. I always look forward to my trips to Germany to visit my in laws (wife is from here). I rent a nice fast car from Sixt and drive everywhere. My favorite trip was to Austria, driving through the alps was very beautiful.

I'm currently in Germany and loving every moment on the autobahn. Wish we could have suck nice roads and disciplined drivers back in the states.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2015, 08:28 AM   #32
//M235ixD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 //M235i xDrive

So topical here in the USA if you are not riding someone's ass they will not move from fast lane. I had quiet an experience in my last ED driving through the autobahn in Germany with my F22 and not warring about flashing light behind me!!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #33
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbmwnut View Post
i hate watching this stuff...
australia, just like the USA it appears, is full if idiot drivers who are totally clueless, PLUS speed cameras everywhere. i have received a couple
of speeding fines this year, the fastest i got shafted for was .. 115 KPH.

THATS RIGHT ,, KPH, not MPH.....
So, are you buying a 316d next, our do you get lots of track time?

I the US we have some open spaces. I'll get up to 100-120 mph going to visit my sister next weekend driving through some rural spaces in Pennsylvania. I am currently in coastal Spain, with 120 kph limits and random speed traps. The mountain roads around nearby Ronda are magical, but not with young kids in the car.. Maybe next visit.

Marc
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #34
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I think it is a philosophical limit as they can reduce weight rather than throwing power at the problem. They're playing with CF and aluminum now and they should be able to build more agile cars that accelerate enough to "crush our spleens." (Bye, Jeremy C.)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 12:35 AM   #35
ozbmwnut
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

[QUOTE=marcva;18342676]So, are you buying a 316d next, our do you get lots of track time?

No, neither.....
Why did I buy an M5?.. Simply because you are a long time dead.. Even though I may rarely get to utilize its full potential, the driving please is still there, all be it at the pace of a fast moving snail..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 01:18 AM   #36
ciprian75
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

East Euro Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
German Autobahns now carry a lot of traffic from Eastern Europe without the same lane discipline. Personally I would never close up at high speed on a group of cars in the middle lane, where a car may move to the outside lane without checking mirrors. There are some MAJOR smashes caused by cars pulling into the path of much faster vehicles
Steve,
I think your commentary about Eastern Europe traffic being somehow less disciplined is a load of rubbish. It does make you look sort of cool on the surface as if you know your stuff but in reality you just come across as ignorant .
I'm not sure which countries you are referring to, or have direct experience with (dash cam videos on YouTube don't count), but I can tell you from experience that driving in Eastern Europe is just as fun and organized as West and South West Europe. I drove through Hungary, Romania, Croatia, Czech Republic and not only they have top notch free ways that would put to shame the California free ways on which I drive on everyday, but they drive properly as well.
These countries have very strict and rigorous driving and knowledge tests and guess what; when they drive they can read and obey all the traffic signs even though the Euro traffic signs have no words under the symbol to explain what it means! And they also know how to drive in roundabouts!
I do admit some of them drive with their winter jackets on which I find very funny to this day! It makes for nice and cozy ride I guess!
On a second note, after Drive went to the $4.99 subscription plan I signed up only to cancel my monthly membership after Chris Harris left. Without Chris Harris, Drive is nothing but an empty vessel going nowhere. These guys are trying to be funny and interesting but they fail miserably because they are just not funny.
One last point. I drove through all the countries in the west, south west, central and most east European ones except the former USSR. They all have road discipline and no one drives in the left lane except to pass or go fast. I can see why Germany gets most of the credit for great driving but fast driving is possible and not frowned upon pretty much everywhere in Europe.

Last edited by ciprian75; 08-01-2015 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 05:59 AM   #37
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
This is a few weeks old but I never saw anyone post it before. This makes sense as Chris Harris posted a while back on his Instagram that he drove the 30 Jahr M5 on the Autobahn.

It is also a small showcase of why American driving laws are outdated.
Dave, you know you want to visit Germany again... The Autobahn is calling you.

From a nice jaunt this morning:
Attached Images

07-31-2015, 10:22 AM   #38
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1Pilot View Post
Dave, you know you want to visit Germany again... The Autobahn is calling you.

From a nice jaunt this morning:
Stop making me jealous!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #39
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciprian75 View Post
Steve,
I think your commentary about Eastern Europe traffic being somehow less disciplined is a load of rubbish. It does make you look sort of cool on the surface as if you know your stuff but in reality you just come across as an ignorant fool.
I'm not sure which countries you are referring to, or have direct experience with (dash cam videos on YouTube don't count), but I can tell you from experience that driving in Eastern Europe is just as fun and organized as West and South West Europe. I drove through Hungary, Romania, Croatia, Czech Republic
Well, living in the Netherlands, working in Germany I can substantiate SteveC's comment. The general feeling here definitely is that road discipline is deteriorating, and that it's probably also related to the influx of eastern european traffic.

Some facts: road user fatalities in most eastern european countries (including Hungary, Croatia, Romania) are twice as high as compared to western europe.

Check the source:

Btw: the German AutoBahn is specifically designed for high speed use (think of slip road design, banking in corners, width of lanes etc). Not so in other european countries. So driving full throttle is much more risky outside D.
Attached Images

07-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #40
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Great vid by the way
Deutschland
      08-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #41
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

The number of accidents is related to infrastructure and culture.
Awesome vid, thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 12:28 AM   #42
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
To be fair, I think a lot of the perceived "incompetence" of American drivers is induced by the law itself. They could learn to handle the freeway like the autobahn if the laws were in place (or out of the way, as it were). For example, it's easy for someone to justify not getting out of your way if they are already going the speed limit or faster, even though it is bad etiquette. The law backs them up. However, without a speed limit suddenly there is no excuse, and only a true dick will not stay out of your way. Additionally, without a speed limit it becomes truly dangerous to hang out in the passing lanes, and people will simply be afraid to do so.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 01:33 AM   #43
ciprian75
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Yes, the fatalities are way higher in Eastern Europe because as @vladberca mentioned is due to the mostly outdated road network. As noted by the chart, the accidents are higher in those respective countries and have no relation to the discussion at hand which is about road etiquette.
@EdM5 commentary on "road discipline is deteriorating" is baseless and purely speculative.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 04:14 AM   #44
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Nothing to do with etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciprian75 View Post
Yes, the fatalities are way higher in Eastern Europe because as @vladberca mentioned is due to the mostly outdated road network. As noted by the chart, the accidents are higher in those respective countries and have no relation to the discussion at hand which is about road etiquette.
@EdM5 commentary on "road discipline is deteriorating" is baseless and purely speculative.
  • Poor outdated road networks
  • Poor law enforcement
  • Integrity of the driving license system
  • Driver training
  • Unroadworthy cars and trucks
  • Truck drivers driving for too many hours
  • Rural drivers not well versed with freeway and city driving
  • Alcohol
  • Fatigue

Now take these drivers and put them on a German autobahn. They are not used to the speeds that people drive, nor the volume of cars being driven very quickly. Their speed tends to gradually increase until they are driving way faster than they are used to. Due to economic reasons and the laws in their countries related to vehicle testing, their cars may not be well or expertly maintained. Suddenly their braking distance has doubled and the distance they need to check behind has increased dramatically. The laws that govern the use of the road are also sometimes different, for example laws regarding overtaking, Vorfahrtsregeln etc.

In Germany, young drivers are required to complete a certain number of hours with a qualified instructor, including night driving, city driving and time on the autobahn. This is not the case in all countries and was certainly not the case before EU accession, when many older East Europeans obtained their drivers license.
I have driven more than half a million kilometres on German autobahns and extensively in the New Member States of Eastern Europe. Driving German autobahns has a very different quality than roads in other countries, based simply on the speed differentials you can encounter and the volume of very fast moving traffic.

In summary, its nothing to do with etiquette per se. Its to do with practice and ability. If you're used to driving mainly rural roads in Romania or Bulgaria for example, you're likely to find your first experience on the A5 Bundesautobahn pretty intimidating.

BTW, you mention roundabouts. The UK is roundabout HQ, so the average driver in the UK is pretty expert at negotiating something as common as traffic lights. However, if they apply what they've learned to German roundabouts (Left Hand Drive aside), they're likely to have an accident....a perfect example that skills learned in one country may not be applicable in another. I now live in the UK. Whenever I visit Germany there's a period of adjustment and a certain rhythm required for driving the Autobahn, at least for driving it well.

Last edited by SteveC; 08-01-2015 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 0