clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Any BBK for F10 M5

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Anyone knows if any of the major BBK companies are cooking up anything for the F10 M5? I am interested in a set of BBK to improve on the bite.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

larger brakes help improve cooling and thus ability to maintain braking performance over longer periods of time under stress. Without using a more abrasive track type pad compound a trick that a "bbk" manufacturer usually tries is to have overall larger diameter pistons than oem calipers making the brake pedal travel shorter for a given ammount of braking force and hence making them feel like they have more "bite". I find oem brake feel on all bmw M cars to be just right. more sensitive brake pedal response just leads to coarse inputs and ultimately worse performance. Brembo's piston diameters seem to be designed so they match oem brake pedal feel.

If you want more bite, switch to the oem BMW Performance brake pads for the M5. These are equipped on the M5 ring taxi's and there is nothing lacking in the braking department. They will improve brake performance but at the cost of wearing the rotors down faster.

I think the oem brakes on the M5 with the correct pad material are finally adequate for an M car used for repeated laps on a track. I still think the rear brakes look too ugly though. I for one would like to order a set of brembo 4 piston calipers for the rear to match the fronts.
      05-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Rexmachineturbo
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 and M235 cabrio

QUOTE] bro go for the ceramic brakes option !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
matthewEW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TT RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve View Post
I would be very cautious in having ceramic brakes. Remember, you have to go 20" to have them, plus there are things that one has to know about ceramic brakes. I was considering them until I got feedback from other people who have used ceramic brakes with other make of cars (same results with BMW cars). You have to get used to some initial squeaking coming out of the ceramic brakes from a cold start until they get a bit warm -- kinda disconcerting if you ask me. Also you'd think they "add value" to the car but the opposite happens according to these same people who have had ceramic brakes in their cars. Considering the cost of having the brakes replaced, cars with those brakes make them less appealing to prospective buyers, that is of course if you intend to sell the car within a short period of time to get a new model car. If you intend to go to the tracks and keep the car for a long time then they may be worth having.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve View Post
It very much depends on how they setup the ceramic brakes. It might not improve the initial bite at all. Ceramic brakes also tend to be rough and noisy when cold. I have owned quite a number of BMWs over the years and everyone of them have always felt good in the brakes dept and i never once felt caught out with insufficient bite for all those cars. The F10 M5 is the first BMW i find myself panicking and needing to apply more brake pressure to stop in time. I am not a hard and late braker and generally brake early. My M3's brakes felt intuitive with ample bite in comparison. The F10 M5's brakes get a thumbs down from me.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
Rexmachineturbo
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 and M235 cabrio

QUOTE]bro you need to drive slower hahha or deploy a parachute behind he he
Appreciate 0