United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANguru
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
If you are going to follow the rules follow all of them including the speedlimits.
well this thread is not about the speed limit.. is it?
Very good point. Let me create an opportunity for you to comment.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #24
Tomcat2048
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
today driving to work, i passed a dude in a z4 and changed into his lane -not close, a few car lengths ahead. he got his panties in a bunch and tailgated me onto the freeway for awhile. he tried to pass me on the right, so i switched into left lane, downshifted into 3rd and hammered it. needless to say, he did not try to pursue very long.

just wondering if the audience thinks changing lanes without signalling is insulting.

thanks.
I almost always signal before changing lanes. The one thing I noticed ever since I got my M5 is that everyone on the highway seems to want to race me. I had an M3 before and occasionally had the same problem but now it seems like almost everyone wants to be ahead of me...oh well.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #25
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5
Quote:
i'm signalling my intention to get out of this post.
Haha. Some pent up aggression on this topic huh? Wow
tell me about it. I think some people are boiling baby rabbits as we speak.
Bro,
Perhaps you should have opted for BMW Dynamic turn-signaling which I believe is part of the lane-departure feature bundled with Driver Assist pkg.

Then you wouldn't have to get PWNED here. Bro.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #26
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #27
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Yeah and I dislike people that "cruise" in passing lane and don't move over...I guess they feel they are going the speed limit and don't need to move.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #28
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

Quote:
perfect!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #29
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I'd be angry if you swerved into my lane with no signals and put us both in danger. If you put on your signals, I can accommodate your lane change or at least expect it if you are in close proximity to me. But if you are 5-6 cars ahead and the flow of traffic is smooth, you can move in and out signal free. I make it a habit to use them, but different driving styles I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:59 AM   #30
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

deactivate or disconnect the signal light bulbs (or tell the dealer you don't need those when ordering the car), at least when you get into something, you have an excuse. Otherwise, I would use the signal if that was me.
      12-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #31
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413
deactivate or disconnect the signal light bulbs (or tell the dealer you don't need those when ordering the car), at least when you get into something, you have an excuse. Otherwise, I would use the signal if that was me.
Lol... Good stuff... I often get a laugh out of people debating whether they should or should not do something as if there were no governing law in effect. Even if your car is not equipped with working signals, the driver must still signal a turn or lane change. But to address the original question, I'll hold my opinion and instead post an excerpt of the Uniform Vehicle Code.

"...driving laws and codes vary from state to state, but virtually every state and commonwealth includes a similar law. In fact, the Uniform Vehicle Code, a set of guidelines developed to help states draft vehicle legislation, requires that all vehicles signal their intention to "move right or left upon a roadway" with either electric turn signals or arm signals. It also specifies that the signal be given "continuously during not less than the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before turning."

CHAPTER 11 - Uniform Vehicle Code: Rules of the Road - Pt. 2
ARTICLE VI. TURNING AND STARTING,
AND SIGNALS ON STOPPING AND TURNING

11-604.Turning movements and required signals
(a) No person shall turn a vehicle or move right or left upon a roadway unless and until such movement can be made with reasonable safety nor without giving an appropriate signal in the manner hereinafter provided.
(b) For vehicles equipped with mechanical or electrical turn signals, a signal of intention to turn or move right or left when required shall be given continuously during not less than the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before turning.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #32
Richard Cranium
Private
Rep
Drives: It's a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANguru View Post
well this thread is not about the speed limit.. is it?
Don't worry, Stealth.pilot has started another about breaking those laws as well.....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #33
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I'm not really concerned with who I piss off on the road. I have an agenda, and as far as I'm concerned while driving, it's the only one that matters. BMW drivers don't like it when BMW drivers treat them as they treat everyone else. Still, I don't care what car you drive, I need to be somewhere.
Wow, not even sure where to start with this: the implication that BMW drivers as a group treat other BMW drivers differently on the road (or that they should), or the raging egocentrism on display here. Sorry to burst your bubble, but your agenda is NOT the only one that matters in the world, and if you always need to be somewhere else, leave a few minutes early. As for special treatment for BMW drivers, I guess if you want to be overly courteous to another BMW driver then by all means, but judging by your post it sounds like I'd have to drive a BMW to even have a HOPE of you not being an ass to me on the road.
Actually in driving school they tell you that you need to believe that you're the only good driver and the only way you're going to get where you're going is if you treat everyone as such.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #34
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
I don't think OP wanted a lesson in current laws.

I agree with OP, it has happened to me before. In my case I did use my turn signal and there was plenty of space. Guy behind me started flashing his lights and started tailing me. I think some people get their feelings hurt when they're overtaken.

Remember, there are crazy crazy people out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #35
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Actually in driving school they tell you that you need to believe that you're the only good driver and the only way you're going to get where you're going is if you treat everyone as such.
Assuming everyone else on the road is a crappy driver is basic defensive driving and makes a lot of sense. But that's entirely different from acting as if you're the only person on the road who matters and telling yourself that everyone else can shove off if they don't appreciate your douchebag behavior that results from that premise.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #36
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Assuming everyone else on the road is a crappy driver is basic defensive driving and makes a lot of sense. But that's entirely different from acting as if you're the only person on the road who matters and telling yourself that everyone else can shove off if they don't appreciate your douchebag behavior that results from that premise.
Duly noted. Though, just because I think anyone who is upset with me on the road can "shove off" doesn't mean that I spend my days driving erratically and illegally. My driving style is unapologetic, not irresponsible. If I don't use my turn signal, it's hardly a reflection of my habits. Aggressive driving is not crazy driving, it's defensively egotistical driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #37
Richard Cranium
Private
Rep
Drives: It's a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post

Remember, there are crazy crazy people out there.
Including those that think the laws are only out there "for everyone else".......
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #38
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

YES it is insulting
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #39
M5Hambre
Soldier
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SGM

One should always signal before changing lanes. That's why it's the law!
      12-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #40
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
today driving to work, i passed a dude in a z4 and changed into his lane -not close, a few car lengths ahead. he got his panties in a bunch and tailgated me onto the freeway for awhile. he tried to pass me on the right, so i switched into left lane, downshifted into 3rd and hammered it. needless to say, he did not try to pursue very long.

just wondering if the audience thinks changing lanes without signalling is insulting.

thanks.
Always do it. Its not insulting. Its unsafe.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #41
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Always do it. Its not insulting. Its unsafe.
Only if there is someone to signal to. If you are driving on a desserted road and are the only car, is it unsafe? If there is another car and it is 0.5 miles behind travelling 30mph slower than you, then is it unsafe?

People act as if the answer to this question is black and white. It is no more black and white than breaking the speed limit.

I speed, but I don't speed in school zones or residential areas, or any other location where doing so would be dangerous. I also use my indicators where doing so provides warning of my intention to someone who may otherwise need to take evasive action or risk collision. But I don't need to use my indicators 100% of the time, any more than I need to obey the speed limit 100% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #42
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

the amount of holier than thou phony outrage in this thread makes me laugh.

"Let me quote the law" so I can show my intolerance over some who doesn't signal in a way my anonymous internet identity deems appropriate... as if every sanctimonious person on this forum has never broken a traffic law... yet also has a passion for high end german sportscars.

Driving laws are made for the lowest common denominator to maximize safety. Should you follow them? Yes to the max extent possible. However, there are still plenty of morons on the road that have created the situation we have in the states that will never allow an autobahn... speed limits aside, the mere concept of slow traffic staying to the right eludes most Americans.

So for signaling, my opinion is that common sense is key. If you are going to affect the current vector and velocity of one of your fellow drivers on the road-- signal. If you are far enough away, or passing and accelerating, its not really necessary.
      12-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #43
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post

"Let me quote the law" so I can show my intolerance over some who doesn't signal in a way my anonymous internet identity deems appropriate... as if every sanctimonious person on this forum has never broken a traffic law... yet also has a passion for high end german sportscars.

Driving laws are made for the lowest common denominator to maximize safety. Should you follow them? Yes to the max extent possible. However, there are still plenty of morons on the road that have created the situation we have in the states that will never allow an autobahn... speed limits aside, the mere concept of slow traffic staying to the right eludes most Americans.

So for signaling, my opinion is that common sense is key. If you are going to affect the current vector and velocity of one of your fellow drivers on the road-- signal. If you are far enough away, or passing and accelerating, its not really necessary.
Hear hear! Well written.

Quoting the highway code on this thread is in essence an act of bigotry. We all know speeding is also against the highway code in most states, and yet I doubt there is a single M5 owner who drives within the speed limit 100% of the time. So what gives anyone the right to throw the rule book at someone else on this while the rule book thrower himself breaks the highway code by speeding?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #44
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post

Hear hear! Well written.

Quoting the highway code on this thread is in essence an act of bigotry. We all know speeding is also against the highway code in most states, and yet I doubt there is a single M5 owner who drives within the speed limit 100% of the time. So what gives anyone the right to throw the rule book at someone else on this while the rule book thrower himself breaks the highway code by speeding?

You fly boys crack me up with your assumptions lol. Please be assured my intentions were good. I thought some information about the subject would add to the discussion. It was not my intent to have the last word and end the discussion. I admit I do take some solace in my opinion that, on good days, I am an average driver with average skill and attention span and I appreciate drivers that signal their intent to change course.

That said, if either of your anonymous Internet identities are in anyway reflective of what you actually do for a living and we should cross paths, I'd insist on buying the beers to show my appreciation. Thanks....
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread