BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
phelot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche

2014 M5 Competition Package Differences

I currently have a 2013 M5 DCT and I was able to do a test drive the new 2014 M5 with Competition Package this weekend.

Here are a couple of thoughts/notes from driving them back to back.

Steering wheel is smaller in diameter. It makes the car feel more agile because you don't have to turn as much.

The deadzone of the steering is more weighted even in Comfort mode and feels sharper since you only have to turn the wheel about 2-3 degrees vs maybe 3-4 degrees on my current car before you feel the resistance and the car responds.

This definitely made the steering feel better.

Also the suspension was much firmer. Going over bumps the suspension felt more attached to the car rather than it feeling a little floaty and disconnected.

The accelerator also felt like it had more resistance, which made it feel more responsive since the input felt like it started much earlier than it does in my car.

Overall the car feels noticeably more agile and gives more feedback.

Couple of other things to note was the new IDrive Knob, Fixed Cup Holders, Aluminum Trim around Nav Screen, Adjustable Bolsters which worked ok (they're the inflatable kind), and headlight/grill/tail light changes.

I'm seriously considering upgrading to it, but I'll probably wait for the new M3 before making the decision.

Hope this is helpful to those curious out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelot View Post
I currently have a 2013 M5 DCT and I was able to do a test drive the new 2014 M5 with Competition Package this weekend.

Steering wheel is smaller in diameter. It makes the car feel more agile because you don't have to turn as much.

The deadzone of the steering is more weighted even in Comfort mode and feels sharper since you only have to turn the wheel about 2-3 degrees vs maybe 3-4 degrees on my current car before you feel the resistance and the car responds.

Also the suspension was much firmer. Going over bumps the suspension felt more attached to the car rather than it feeling a little floaty and disconnected.

The accelerator also felt like it had more resistance, which made it feel more responsive since the input felt like it started much earlier than it does in my car.

Couple of other things to note was the new IDrive Knob, Fixed Cup Holders, Aluminum Trim around Nav Screen, Adjustable Bolsters which worked ok (they're the inflatable kind), and headlight/grill/tail light changes.

I'm seriously considering upgrading to it, but I'll probably wait for the new M3 before making the decision.

I have the LCI collecting 1st September, NO comp pack, I test drove the NONE comp pack LCI today and the steering is upgraded from the 2013 and the car feels better all round IMO, I took the 2013 out after and could feel the difference, LCI feels a bit more planted if that makes sense, and as you say centres better.
I have not driven the Comp pack but here in the UK it's just not worth the Money IMO, any extra power way up the top, and all but useless here.
Those wheels are awful.
      08-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

I saw a black 2014 with CP this weekend. The wheels look better in person.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisratz View Post
I saw a black 2014 with CP this weekend. The wheels look better in person.
Maybe but in pictures they look cheap IMO and give the impression of being small . Not suited to the M5.
      08-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Lual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 CP / X5 G05 ‘21

Thanks for sharing your experience
What about he exhaust note?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
phelot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche

I thought the exhaust sounded just a little more aggressive when you went on the accelerator.

I'm not sure if this an adjustment on the "fake" sound or just my imagination.

And the wheels do look better in person, but I still like the older wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Where did you test drive it? I'd love to test drive that same car if possible. McKenna? Irvine? Shelly? New Century?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
Where did you test drive it? I'd love to test drive that same car if possible. McKenna? Irvine? Shelly? New Century?
I saw one yesterday at Beverly Hills BMW. Black with CP.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

My salesperson said you can opt for the regular 343M wheels with the Competition Package if you wanted. An option for those on the fence.
      08-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I need to take the car out again.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
My salesperson said you can opt for the regular 343M wheels with the Competition Package if you wanted. An option for those on the fence.
yup, here in the UK you can also get the 343s in black also.

how's the tesla?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes you can go 19" or both 20" wheels on the configurator, the choice is yours.
      08-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
yup, here in the UK you can also get the 343s in black also.

how's the tesla?
Fantastic car. It has its quirks but it really is amazing to drive. You'll start to see them in the UK soon. They've just begun doing EU deliveries.

It is not the M5 (and I do miss it), but with the Performance Plus package I opted for, it does handle quite well - in between my F10 550 M Sport with the Dinan suspension components and the M5. It's also similar in terms of acceleration. The lower center of gravity helps a great deal but the seats are rubbish for any kind of spirited driving. Minimal side support. A tragic flaw in a car that most can't believe is 100% electric (and built in the US!)

I'm hoping they add additional tweaks via software soon to enable a comfort/sport settings for throttle and suspension, and hopefully a firmer weight for the electric steering. Sport, as exists right now, is very good but I would like it to be a little firmer. The beauty of this car is that this is all possible with software updates that you receive over the air, as opposed to booking it in to service.

I hope you'll test drive one and let me know what you think.
      08-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lual View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience
What about he exhaust note?
The exhaust was like the STD but just a tad louder, nothing much.
The STD wired open may be close, I have not tested that yet.
No performance advantage noticed anyway, so money spent on the competition pack needs real consideration.
You must way up cost to performance / feel gains.
Test back to back before parting with cash.
Personally NOT for me, and I am glad I just went for the LCI without it.
PS) i Have opted for the 20 way Multi function seats, they are a must on the extras list.
      08-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelot

Thanks, very helpful!
      08-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Great review, thanks. Amazing, 2 LCI ZCPs on the lot at my dealership and no possibility of a test drive. The 601s do look better in person but still pale in comparison to the 343s.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #17
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I have the LCI collecting 1st September, NO comp pack, I test drove the NONE comp pack LCI today and the steering is upgraded from the 2013 and the car feels better all round IMO, I took the 2013 out after and could feel the difference, LCI feels a bit more planted if that makes sense, and as you say centres better.
I have not driven the Comp pack but here in the UK it's just not worth the Money IMO, any extra power way up the top, and all but useless here.
Those wheels are awful.
Great to hear this John...one of the things I didn't like on my 2012 M6 was the steering which, after coming out of the Merc SLS, felt slow and artificial. It is the primary reason I went for the Competition Pack as that promises and even more direct rack (well, it wasn't for the 15bhp now was it ).

Glad you like the wheels I'm getting on my new M6 ha ha

I too thought they looked really quote bad in photo's and deliberated for a long period on what to do. However, after seeing a few different perspectives of the wheels, I think they have potential to look good in real life and in any case, I thought it would be easier to 'downgrade' to the standard wheels if I don't like them than it would be to upgrade to Competition Pack wheels if I later regretted not choosing them.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
The exhaust was like the STD but just a tad louder, nothing much.
The STD wired open may be close, I have not tested that yet.
No performance advantage noticed anyway, so money spent on the competition pack needs real consideration.
You must way up cost to performance / feel gains.
Test back to back before parting with cash.
Personally NOT for me, and I am glad I just went for the LCI without it.
PS) i Have opted for the 20 way Multi function seats, they are a must on the extras list.
car sits lower and more proper too with the CP. I think the CP addressed all the shortcomings the 2013 M5 had of being too soft, money well spent. The wheels do look alot better in person and sets the car apart from the standard M5's My CP is on order.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #19
KKS53
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 Lime Rock '14 M5

Thanks for the post - it sounds like there was no noticeable difference in power from your standpoint. BMW is claiming 0.1 sec shaving in the 0-60 but that is small enough to be noticeable depending on driver skill.

I picked up my '14 with CP this past weekend but have not driven the STD so your parallel comparison having driven both was helpful. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh53
Thanks for the post - it sounds like there was no noticeable difference in power from your standpoint. BMW is claiming 0.1 sec shaving in the 0-60 but that is small enough to be noticeable depending on driver skill.

I picked up my '14 with CP this past weekend but have not driven the STD so your parallel comparison having driven both was helpful. Thanks again.
The power gain of the comp pack is from holding boost and thus torque out to higher rpm . You would not notice it unless you drove the car over 6k rpm , and I doubt he was redlining it during a test drive . Making the car a bit more peaky up top is exactly what it needed not more midrange so , that plus the suspension and the steering upgrades makes it worth 6k in my opinion ( we all would opt for the 343 for 1300 anyway ) . The performance exhaust is the stock exhaust with the baffling removed. It sounds fantastic when paired with a catted or catless downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #21
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
it does handle quite well - in between my F10 550 M Sport with the Dinan suspension components and the M5.
That is a very odd comparison you make. A buddy and I went on an intensely hard test drive of the F10 550i completely tricked out with Dinan EVERYTHING (brand new at dealer we know) and the car was amazing. Biggest complaint was that the suspension was FAR from stiff enough for the power. He was commenting on how he could not switch lanes NEARLY as crisply as I was in my F12 and how soft it felt. To put the comp pkg BETWEEN the Dinan 550i and the M5 seems very off base as the stock M5 handles far better than the Dinan 550i.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #22
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh53 View Post

That is likely also figured into the improvements in the rear differential, particularly the improved MDM mode.
Appreciate 0