M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

03-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Susoa
4 Star General
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC

2013 M5 purchase help

Hi all,

Ive been waiting for a long time to finally own one of these, 25 years, and it looks like Im ready to pull the trigger. I have an F10 550i M sport currently but I loved my E36 and E46 M3's. I have a couple of topics that I welcome input on.

1. What are the must have options? The only one that I'm really considering is the exec package but is it worth the $. The main options I need are 20" wheels, Sat. radio. HUD seems like it would be a good feature also.

2. There are 2 cars on the market now but they were built in 2012. Wouldn't resale value be less on a 2012 production car? Also any difference in a 2012 vs 2013 production year car?

3. If I ordered one then I wouldn't get it until mid-May. It seems like I need to get it ASAP if its a 2013 model. Again this one pertains to resale as I know these things have poor residual value. Is the F10 M5 holding its value better than the E60 M5?

4. I ordered my last car and don't really want to wait 2 months for this one but the PCD would be a nice benefit. The problem I had when I ordered my 2011 was that the car was ready but PCD had a 4 week wait. I cant take that again. I wonder if they can guarantee me a spot?

5. Last one, is it to late in the year to order a 2013? It seems like I would be taking a big deprecation 7 months after I get it. I am planning to keep the car until for at least 5 years however.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Last edited by Susoa; 03-17-2013 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susoa View Post
Hi all,

Ive been waiting for a long time to finally own one of these, 25 years, and it looks like Im ready to pull the trigger. I have an F10 550i M sport currently but I loved my E36 and E46 M3's. I have a couple of topics that I welcome input on.

1. What are the must have options? The only one that I'm really considering is the exec package but is it worth the $. The main options I need are 20" wheels, Sat. radio. HUD seems like it would be a good feature also.

2. There are 2 cars on the market now but they were built in 2012. Wouldn't resale value be less on a 2012 production car? Also any difference in a 2012 vs 2013 production year car?

3. If I ordered one then I wouldn't get it until mid-May. It seems like I need to get it ASAP if its a 2013 model. Again this one pertains to resale as I know these things have poor residual value. Is the F10 M5 holding its value better than the E60 M5?

4. I ordered my last car and don't really want to wait 2 months for this one but the PCD would be a nice benefit. The problem I had when I ordered my 2011 was that the car was ready but PCD had a 4 week wait. I cant take that again. I wonder if they can guarantee me a spot?

5. Last one, is it to late in the year to order a 2013? It seems like I would be taking a big deprecation 7 months after I get it. I am planning to keep the car until for at least 5 years however.

1) Regarding must have options: My ranking would be: 1. Executive Package (incl. HUD), 2. 20" wheels, 3. Full Leather, 4. Bang and Olufsen, 5. Drivers Assistance Package. I think 1-3 are must have. 4 and 5 are less valuable but nice.

2) Makes no difference. What matters is in service date and mileage. The cars during the 2013 production year are all the same whether they were made in 2012 or 2013.

3) If you are buying, I would buy either off the lot right now, or wait for a 2014. Buying a 2013 in May with special order is going to hit you on depr. Cars on the lot right now will be a good deal and you get more months use. The car should hold value better than E60 only because the former was pretty unreliable, but don't expect it to be much better.

4) PCD is a waste of time if you've done it before. Instead save yourself some time and do the M School instead. It's much more valuable and with this car you need it. Unlike the E60, this car has a ton of power and you will need skills if you drive in MDM. Otherwise you will spin it off the road.

5) See answer to 3.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susoa View Post
Hi all,

-HUD is great- i would order as stand alone but it seems like you do get a lot with executive package. i think b&o is worth it. the 20" wheels are worth it only if you buy the tire insurance with it (at least in the northeast).

-2012 production cars are $300 cheaper and are essentially the same car.

-agree with stealth. M school much more functional. PCD not worth the wait.

-i would highly favor taking a car that is inventory at the dealer. almost all the cars seem to have executive and drivers assistance with 20" wheels. Great deals to be had and glad I bought recently. plenty of spyshots of the 2014 F10, very minor. scribbling on the knob of idrive may not be worth the wait, or the premium for buying a 2014 car.
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Stealth nailed it on question #1
      04-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
6SpeedM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M5

I would hop on one of these - http://www.globalautosports.com/car/...dan-76868.html
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedM5 View Post
It still amazes me how often dealers can't get options right. This car clearly has full leather in the pics but it's described as extended leather, just continues to lessen my confidence in certain dealerships and salesmen. Granted we on the boards are a bit neurotic about our cars, but if it's your job and you get paid for it, get it right. It's not just this post, I've seen mant ads with options that don't match the pictures.

I originally placed my order w/o executive package, but got talked into it here on the board, and Im glad I did. My opinion of it, just during ED was that it was essential on a car of this caliber. I may not use all the options included in it, but when it comes to resell the car I know Ill be glad I opted for it. To get a $90k car with no options is just weird, shame on me. Even w/o Exec I did add the HUD originally as I felt that was a must have.

The 20" wheel option is a must too I feel unless you plan on getting aftermkt 20s for the M5. Its such a big car that I think the 20s look more proper on it - I will be using my 19s for winter.

Full leather - I opted against it, but only because I did not want too much Sakhir Orange. I like the seatbacks in black and the glove box in black, but it was a trade off for me since I like the leather dash and the extra leather paneling on the doors. Had I gotten Silverstone leather, no question I would have gotten full leather.

B&O - never even thought about getting it. Not a big music guy and I felt $3700 was a steep price to pay for an option that would only drown out the sounds of the engine and exhaust. Plus I didn't believe the BO was $3700 better than the stock radio. After doing my research, I found the B&O to have mixed reviews, not many raved about it and many complained about rattling, that itself justified my choice not to get it.

Last edited by PatrickC23; 04-09-2013 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0