M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

02-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #23
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
On my 13 M5 the fuse removal doesn't deactivate radio.
Does your car have the B&O 'Top HiFi' system? Here's my theory, and I don't know if it would apply to the fuse removal as well as the ASD module removal.

I would like to deactivate the ASD in my car, but after looking at the wiring diagrams in the ASD .pdf that jmh provided, I think there could be a different result depending on whether your car has the standard 'HiFi' system or the 'Top HiFi' system. I don't claim to know how this all works, but perhaps this paragraph from the manual will explain better than my words.

The main difference between the Top HiFi system and the HiFi system relies in that the former, the audio signals from the Headunit/CIC and the signals from the ASD are combined in the audio amplifier and output to the speakers, as opposed to the HiFi System where the audio inputs are combined in the ASD control unit and then the modified signals are sent to the AMPH.

My thinking is that cars with the standard HiFi system might lose the audio system if the ASD module is removed because of the routing/combining of the audio signals in the ASD control unit and not in the amplifier. The coding change that -dr- mentioned may be the most reliable way to defeat it in the end.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
On my 13 M5 the fuse removal doesn't deactivate radio.
Does your car have the B&O 'Top HiFi' system? Here's my theory, and I don't know if it would apply to the fuse removal as well as the ASD module removal.

I would like to deactivate the ASD in my car, but after looking at the wiring diagrams in the ASD .pdf that jmh provided, I think there could be a different result depending on whether your car has the standard 'HiFi' system or the 'Top HiFi' system. I don't claim to know how this all works, but perhaps this paragraph from the manual will explain better than my words.

The main difference between the Top HiFi system and the HiFi system relies in that the former, the audio signals from the Headunit/CIC and the signals from the ASD are combined in the audio amplifier and output to the speakers, as opposed to the HiFi System where the audio inputs are combined in the ASD control unit and then the modified signals are sent to the AMPH.

My thinking is that cars with the standard HiFi system might lose the audio system if the ASD module is removed because of the routing/combining of the audio signals in the ASD control unit and not in the amplifier. The coding change that -dr- mentioned may be the most reliable way to defeat it in the end.
Yes. I do have the B&O.
      02-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

You can unplug the ASD module.
The B&O will continue to play and everything else continues to operate normal.
Also no faults are logged (at least not on first look)
We had it unplugged in mine and everything was fine. I didn't have the the
time to connect it to the BMW system to do a complete fault scan.
Once it's out of hibernation (pending snow melting) I'll let you know

The other option is coding

All of the above applicable to those who actually can hear the ASD "induced" sound ....
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #26
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Here is a way to turn off ASD by coding without disconnecting anything.

Change the following FDL Code

CAF > 3000 ASD-Configuration - Funktionen - Baureihe to F021

Personally I still think you would be nuts to turn it off.

BTW, I have noticed the BMW exhaust gets quieter after break in, either that or US road surfaces and topology provide less sound reflection. However since I got the Eisenmann Sport exhaust my car sounds once again like it did in Europe - heavenly!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #27
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post

As is on this forum
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=35
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #28
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:

Personally I still think you would be nuts to turn it off.

BTW, I have noticed the BMW exhaust gets quieter after break in, either that or US road surfaces and topology provide less sound reflection. However since I got the Eisenmann Sport exhaust my car sounds once again like it did in Europe - heavenly!
I am definitely getting a exhaust installed this spring - thinking of Eisenmann Race? Thoughts?
      02-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #29
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
I am definitely getting a exhaust installed this spring - thinking of Eisenmann Race? Thoughts?
Haven't heard the Eisenmann Race. But I really think the Eisenmann Sport is perfect. Sounds great. Very audible both inside and outside the car. Maintains OEM valve control which the Race does not. No drone.

I love the Sport 90mm because it looks strong without looking aftermarket while delivering the sound experience one expects of an M5.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #30
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Haven't heard the Eisenmann Race. But I really think the Eisenmann Sport is perfect. Sounds great. Very audible both inside and outside the car. Maintains OEM valve control which the Race does not. No drone.

I love the Sport 90mm because it looks strong without looking aftermarket while delivering the sound experience one expects of an M5.
Fantastic - thanks so much.