M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #45
jbkonis
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 ZCP M3, 15 X5M

I must say it's the best all around vehicle combining limousine levels of comfort, with crazy performance.

The downside is a certain boat like feeling the weight and size present. No amount of power and gizmos can hide it. Also, it does everything very well, but has no one extremely redeeming feature. For lack of better words, the car's soulless.

Past M cars all had specific draw backs, but had certain qualities which were unmatched in the auto industry that more than compensated for said drawbacks. Now, the car's main feature is being "well rounded".

These are the conclusions I've come to after a month of ownership.

I must also say there's no other car that could fill this position in my stable currently on the market. So if it has the right combination of features you're looking for, do it!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 01:14 AM   #46
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7
Last week I test drove the M5, E63, R8 4.2, and 991S back to back.

Honestly, I liked all four of them. For me I would prefer the Porsche because I don't need 4 seats. The E63 was noticeably slower than the M5. The R8 is a lot of fun and sounds so good but the Porsche just runs away from it.

I don't think BMW messed up but I do think they need to get on board with making their cars lighter. Audi, Porsche, and Mercedes are all focusing on that now.
E 63 is faster than the M5 with the performance package (in a straight line).
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:20 AM   #47
kona jack
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I think the new car is perfect. I had two e60 M5's and the old M6. The new car is so much better my old ones. My wife has had an X5M for a year before my car arrived. The X5m is a great car but the new M5 is just amazing as a daily driver. Mine has the Akrapovic exhaust, which adds to the experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #48
m-ch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Nope ask member Vic how owned both and See the vid of High Speed Drag race m5f10 vs cls 63 pp posted here a while ago.

Also my own experience on German highways proves the m is faster as higher the Speed goes. I speak about stoke e/cls63 pp and m5f10 cars
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #49
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkonis
I must say it's the best all around vehicle combining limousine levels of comfort, with crazy performance.

The downside is a certain boat like feeling the weight and size present. No amount of power and gizmos can hide it. Also, it does everything very well, but has no one extremely redeeming feature. For lack of better words, the car's soulless.

Past M cars all had specific draw backs, but had certain qualities which were unmatched in the auto industry that more than compensated for said drawbacks. Now, the car's main feature is being "well rounded".

These are the conclusions I've come to after a month of ownership.

I must also say there's no other car that could fill this position in my stable currently on the market. So if it has the right combination of features you're looking for, do it!
Very well said! Soulless is maybe too strong a word, but you nailed the essence of the car: well rounded
      12-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #50
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7
Last week I test drove the M5, E63, R8 4.2, and 991S back to back.

Honestly, I liked all four of them. For me I would prefer the Porsche because I don't need 4 seats. The E63 was noticeably slower than the M5. The R8 is a lot of fun and sounds so good but the Porsche just runs away from it.

I don't think BMW messed up but I do think they need to get on board with making their cars lighter. Audi, Porsche, and Mercedes are all focusing on that now.

Not true, have raced e63 and cls63 many many times and m5 has slight advantage and starts walking both of them over 100mph.
Appreciate 0