BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
CarCrazy24
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M5 - Carbon Black/Red

Talking Just bought one of my dream cars, wanted to share =)

Hi everyone, new to the M5Post group, pleasure to meet you all.

I've been monitoring the E60 M5 market for years, as I remember vividly sitting in them while they were new on the showroom floors, just dreaming of what it would be like to own one.

My original goal was the E46 M3, but having a kid makes it hard to justify getting a car so compact (strollers and all the other essential baby stuff doesn't fit in a car of that size). Thus, to appease my wife, I told her the M5 was fun for me as a daily driver and also a luxury sedan with an "Automatic"...she took the bait and here we are!

I've seen that 2010 seems to be the best (and perhaps rarest) year, so I've held out for a while until I ran into this beauty. Carbon Black over Red extended leather. 38k miles! Florida car, nicely documented since new, freh set of rubber, and frankly looking immaculate inside and out.

Please lend me your best advise for this E60 M5 newbie. Things such as best drivetrain settings for the wife, best settings for M mode, most common problems to keep an eye out for, best driving practice (slow warm ups, lifting between shifts), best care practice (frequency of oil changes/maintenance), best places to go for parts and maintenance needs, and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

My only plans are to get a total front clear bra, and some sort of ceramic coating/detailing protection for the rest of the car's exterior. I hear there are some very effective (and basic) modifications to bring out a few more HP from the engine (some sort of air/carbon filter removal?) or ECU upgrades, please let me know. My goal is to keep the inherent character of the car intact, so no exhaust upgrades but I may consider an intake upgrade down the road.

Thank you and it's a pleasure to meet you all, looking forward to hearing back
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-09-2015, 04:29 AM   #2
bimmertones
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

Congrats on your new ride!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

CONGRATS!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Enjoy in good health
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Just 38K miles
Gosh, I had 35K on my 2014 LCI!!
Your car is almost newish !!
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 03:08 AM   #6
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

Congrats, I had one, the car is a beast. I would set the power to P400 and auto shifts at S1 until you and your wife get used to it. Also leave traction control on and you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 05:39 AM   #7
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy24 View Post
Hi everyone, new to the M5Post group, pleasure to meet you all.

I've been monitoring the E60 M5 market for years, as I remember vividly sitting in them while they were new on the showroom floors, just dreaming of what it would be like to own one.

My original goal was the E46 M3, but having a kid makes it hard to justify getting a car so compact (strollers and all the other essential baby stuff doesn't fit in a car of that size). Thus, to appease my wife, I told her the M5 was fun for me as a daily driver and also a luxury sedan with an "Automatic"...she took the bait and here we are!

I've seen that 2010 seems to be the best (and perhaps rarest) year, so I've held out for a while until I ran into this beauty. Carbon Black over Red extended leather. 38k miles! Florida car, nicely documented since new, freh set of rubber, and frankly looking immaculate inside and out.

Please lend me your best advise for this E60 M5 newbie. Things such as best drivetrain settings for the wife, best settings for M mode, most common problems to keep an eye out for, best driving practice (slow warm ups, lifting between shifts), best care practice (frequency of oil changes/maintenance), best places to go for parts and maintenance needs, and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

My only plans are to get a total front clear bra, and some sort of ceramic coating/detailing protection for the rest of the car's exterior. I hear there are some very effective (and basic) modifications to bring out a few more HP from the engine (some sort of air/carbon filter removal?) or ECU upgrades, please let me know. My goal is to keep the inherent character of the car intact, so no exhaust upgrades but I may consider an intake upgrade down the road.

Thank you and it's a pleasure to meet you all, looking forward to hearing back
Outstanding car man. Personally I'd retire a happy if in my garage sat an e60 m5, and e92 m3. They are two of my favorite cars and both in my opinion the last of their kind for BMW. While I despise SMG and some of the issues that plagued the M5/M6 platforms of those years, the cars when working are amazing regardless of current hp standards.

As far as mods some of the most beneficial and quickest to do would be
Tune
Intake
Exhaust
Air scoop
SMG Euro flash transmission tune which I can't recommend enough

Ones that'll make your car a tad more original and really pick some gains up without induction:
Schrick camshafts
Headers

Forced induction
Supercharger or be different and do custom twins which will cost $$,$$$

Issues I'd look out for as you start to close in on the 40-80k mile range the known issues of the rod bearings the engines have.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...re-thread.html

Not trying to scare you or anything but try to get an idea if you want to be preventative about it or not, Personally if I was you I'd do it at 40-50k miles just to see what they look like, and usually when you do preventative like that they end up looking fine lol but still.

Last edited by M5Rlz; 12-10-2015 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 1