BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Hey Guys you got the Competition Package Exhaust all wrong here in the forum !!

Well I had LCI M5 without ZCP and I was told that the difference was "Only" Mufflers and Resonators delete and valves control and did all of the above and don't get me wrong sound was up from like 4/10 to 6/10 which is great improvement but LAST TJE BIG SURPRISE IS I JUST GOT ZCP LCI SAME YEAR MODEL 2014 And been driving it over the last week or so and there's sheer and stark difference everywhere across the board from the loudness to the crackles and pops between shifting and those can be pleasantly loud !! like scary loud ! Not embarrassingly loud but pleasantly so!!

And what I felt too is you probably don't need exhaust Meister with this ZCP because valves seems to be open much more often and I doubt that Exhauste Meister is needed!

Last but not least one major difference too is that in my old M5 with CO mufflers, Resinators delete and open valves with Exhauste Meister the sound was kind of smooth between pops and shifts like a woman's voice compared to Rocky Balboa in the ZCP, that's exactly how I feel and where is that coming from I have no idea !!

To the point that when I saw the car first time I asked the person selling it to me you changed something about the Exhauste ?!!! Is this aftermarket or something ?! And he shrugged his shoulders saying "That's how ZCpackage sounds from factory" unbeknownst to him that I did everything THE FORUM CALIMED TO BE THE DIFFERNECES BETWEEN ZCP EXHAUSTE AND NON ZCP and I am glad to report you are wrong because guys and ZCP took it to another level from 6/10 after all you recommended to about 7.5/10 I would say and not less than AMG Exhauste I would venture and say !! So where's is the difference ?! Any ideas ?!

I really am interested to know,
And please don't even try to tell me an illusion because I got 5 people so far in the car and all except one said much louder and my little daughter said dad this car is "Way louder"!!!!

Last edited by soooma; 12-22-2015 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
The Kid
Learning New Things
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma
Well I had LCI M5 without ZCP and I was told that the difference was "Only" Mufflers and Resonators delete and valves control and did all of the above and don't get me wrong sound was up from like 4/10 to 6/10 which is great improvement but LAST TJE BIG SURPRISE IS I JUST GOT ZCP LCI SAME YEAR MODEL 2014 And been driving it over the last week or so and there's sheer and stark difference everywhere across the board from the loudness to the crackles and pops between shifting and those can be pleasantly loud !! like scary loud ! Not embarrassingly loud but pleasantly so!!

And what I felt too is you probably don't need exhaust Meister with this ZCP because valves seems to be open much more often and I doubt that Exhauste Meister is needed!

Last but not least one major difference too is that in my old M5 with CO mufflers, Resinators delete and open valves with Exhauste Meister the sound was kind of smooth between pops and shifts like a woman's voice compared to Rocky Balboa in the ZCP, that's exactly how I feel and where is that coming from I have no idea !!

To the point that when I saw the car first time I asked the person selling it to me you changed something about the Exhauste ?!!! Is this aftermarket or something ?! Mad he shrugged his shoulders off saying "That's how ZCpackage sounds from factory" unbeknownst to him that I did everything THE FORUM CALIMED TO BE THE DIFFERNECES BETWEEN ZCP EXHAUSTE AND NON ZCP and I am glad to report you are wrong because guys and ZCP took it to another level from 6/10 to about 7.5/10 I would say and not less than AMG Exhauste I would venture and say !!
Hey Soooma, could you give a sample of the sound?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #3
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
Found it impossible on iPhone mediocre mic to obviate the difference but to the ears OMG!! I don't wanna say night and day but if if dos I wouldn't be exaggerating !! And don't forget I had
1. CPackage mufflers with black tips
2. Resonators delete
3. Exhauste Meister !

Any ideas gurus ?!
And where did we get the idea that these are the ONLY differences !!

Last edited by soooma; 12-22-2015 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
The Kid
Learning New Things
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Quote:
Found it impossible on iPhone mediocre mic to obviate the difference but to the ears OMG!! I don't wanna say night and day but if if dos I wouldn't be exaggerating !! And don't forget I had
1. CPackage mufflers with black tips
2. Resinators delete
3. Exhauste Meister !

Any ideas gurus ?!
And where did we get the idea that these are the ONLY differences !!
You've got a point. I'm rocking this Dinan exhaust and I hear the difference in my end but I imagine if your setup sounds smoother yet still aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You've got a point. I'm rocking this Dinan exhaust and I hear the difference in my end but I imagine if your setup sounds smoother yet still aggressive.
This setup up was 6/10 good up from 4/10 stock LCI but ZCP is 7.5-8/10 and that's what I was trying to say!!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
erm324
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I completely agree with you - the competition package exhaust is significantly louder than I had thought (especially from outside the car, the cabin is well insulated). Thinking of running a set of AMS Catted downpipes to get a louder/clean sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
I completely agree with you - the competition package exhaust is significantly louder than I had thought (especially from outside the car, the cabin is well insulated). Thinking of running a set of AMS Catted downpipes to get a louder/clean sound.
Agreed especially with ASD disabled. I'm always amazed at how well insulated the cabin is until I do some spirited driving with the windows down. But then you have to hear the break squeal which is borderline embarrassing.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #8
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
Glad to hear some members agree because the difference is astounding especially how it sounds while revving the car close to yellow/red zone while doing some spirited driving !! Sounds like a real sports car and never felt that way!!

Is it just me?!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #9
Speed808Ix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW M5

ZCP for the WIN! sounds way better than my non LCI and non ZCP car.
2015 BMW M///5 Comp. Package I Black Sapphire Metalic I Full Black Leather I Gruppe M Intakes I 3D Design Side Skirts I HRE FF01 I RKP Lip I IND Cosmetic Pkg I JB4 BETA I BMS Meth SS I MSR CP I Challenge SS Brake Lines I Challenge Diffuser I Undercover DP's I Dodson Clutch Packs I VRS GTS Tips I M Perf. Carbon Mirrors, Spoiler and Full Interior +++
698 WHP & 653 WTRQ (Corrected)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed808ix View Post
ZCP for the WIN! sounds way better than my non LCI and non ZCP car.
I know but LCI to LCI ZCP is the interesting comparison because most people jumped ships from 13 to 14-15-16 LCI but few did LCI to LCI ZCP
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #11
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Could the sound symposer be making a more aggressive sound in the cabin over the non ZCP?

I have a 2015 ZCP and thought it was great sounding too. Once I turn the symposer off in the trunk, I really couldn't hear anything coming from the exhaust so that's when I decided to get the Meisterschaft GTC Valved version and I am in love with. So tame with the valves closed and once it's open...it sounds like a beast!
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #12
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb View Post
Agreed especially with ASD disabled. I'm always amazed at how well insulated the cabin is until I do some spirited driving with the windows down. But then you have to hear the break squeal which is borderline embarrassing.
Not just borderline embarrassing.
      12-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #13
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweitzer View Post
Not just borderline embarrassing.
Ask dealership to change the pads and that goes away 90% of it at least !
Happened to me True story
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 12:12 AM   #14
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Massive difference between between comp exhaust and AMG exhausts. Have you heard an AMG exhaust? I rent E63 AMG very often and there is a night and day difference between the two - windows up or windows down. AMG comes stock with Akra exhaust. The GTS that I am contemplating getting is also much more bad ass sounding than my 2015 comp package M5.

M5 comp exhaust is probably 6/10 at best IMO.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 05:23 AM   #15
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer View Post
Massive difference between between comp exhaust and AMG exhausts. Have you heard an AMG exhaust? I rent E63 AMG very often and there is a night and day difference between the two - windows up or windows down. AMG comes stock with Akra exhaust. The GTS that I am contemplating getting is also much more bad ass sounding than my 2015 comp package M5.

I did test drive the CLS63 AMG Launch Model PP 122K sticker in Palidium Silver and not louder but may be more aggressive type of Exhauste and more crackly less poppy but cold start was more glorious !! But not better than ZCP Exhauste by much, it's a different take I'd say or a tad better ! Man the ZCP Exhauaste when you revv engine is burbling and cracking like crazy !! I find it very satisfying as far as stock goes !! And also test drive Jag XKR as well as Maserati GTS 2014 and still not better than ZCP but different "Voice" like George Clooney vs Stallone
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #16
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I did test drive the CLS63 AMG Launch Model PP 122K sticker in Palidium Silver and not louder but may be more aggressive type of Exhauste and more crackly less poppy but cold start was more glorious !! But not better than ZCP Exhauste by much, it's a different take I'd say or a tad better ! Man the ZCP Exhauaste when you revv engine is burbling and cracking like crazy !! I find it very satisfying as far as stock goes !! And also test drive Jag XKR as well as Maserati GTS 2014 and still not better than ZCP but different "Voice" like George Clooney vs Stallone
Not sure what you are talking about. It is universally agreed that even comp package exhaust in M5 is tame. The M performance Exhaust (which is rebranded Akra) should be the standard exhaust on M5.

Day and night difference between the sound of comp package exhaust and Akra exhausts. But glad you are enjoying yours. Perhaps the honeymoon period.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #17
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Even the Akra exhaust on the M5 is quite tame compared to the stock exhaust on the new C63 AMG or AMG GTS.

I've never heard of someone refer to the CP exhaust as Beastly. If you think that sounds like a Beast, I couldn't imagine the reaction by riding in my car. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #18
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Even the Akra exhaust on the M5 is quite tame compared to the stock exhaust on the new C63 AMG or AMG GTS.

I've never heard of someone refer to the CP exhaust as Beastly. If you think that sounds like a Beast, I couldn't imagine the reaction by riding in my car. Lol!
+1. However, Akra's throatiness and gurgles (sound note) is multiples improved over CP. I think the Akra suits the character of the M5 quite well.

I have never heard your car. Mind posting a clip of your exhaust note?
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #19
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

I still believe it is very close to PP CLS 63AMG that is test drove and I am not sure why it sounds so much better than expected !!

Remember I had ZCP Mufflers and Resonators delete and Exhauste Meister on my last M5 LCI and wasn't even close to how good this M5 ZCP sounds !! To the the point when Ray parked he car for me to pick up the first question I asked was did you modify the Exhauste and I was not supposed to ask this if it sounded like mine!!

Why that I don't know !
May be I got an Akra by mistake for lack of ZCP Exhauste LOL !!!
I have no idea but again let me remind you I have driven so many cars with better Exhauste than CLS63 AMG like Maserati GTS and I am saying didn't sound better than my car !!

And remember I am didn't rave about my older LCI car after installing the CP mufflers and resonators delaye and Exhauaste Meister, but rather all I said was just louder and better but this ZCP or whatever I have on my car now!! Because I started having doubts !! Isn't shabby at all!!

Not gonna compare it to RPI with mufflers delete !!
But this car sounds so sweet and I can't be deluded about that because I wasn't prepared to do that because I had same setup on my older car !!!

IMHO sounds way better not just better than Stock LCI!!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 09:59 PM   #20
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I still believe it is very close to PP CLS 63AMG that is test drove and I am not sure why it sounds so much better than expected !!

Remember I had ZCP Mufflers and Resonators delete and Exhauste Meister on my last M5 LCI and wasn't even close to how good this M5 ZCP sounds !! To the the point when Ray parked he car for me to pick up the first question I asked was did you modify the Exhauste and I was not supposed to ask this if it sounded like mine!!

Why that I don't know !
May be I got an Akra by mistake for lack of ZCP Exhauste LOL !!!
I have no idea but again let me remind you I have driven so many cars with better Exhauste than CLS63 AMG like Maserati GTS and I am saying didn't sound better than my car !!

And remember I am didn't rave about my older LCI car after installing the CP mufflers and resonators delaye and Exhauaste Meister, but rather all I said was just louder and better but this ZCP or whatever I have on my car now!! Because I started having doubts !! Isn't shabby at all!!

Not gonna compare it to RPI with mufflers delete !!
But this car sounds so sweet and I can't be deluded about that because I wasn't prepared to do that because I had same setup on my older car !!!

IMHO sounds way better not just better than Stock LCI!!
Post a clip and let's see what you are raving about.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #21
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

Didn't mean to Compare it to your Godly RPI exhaust "Real beastly"
But in some sense still
Remember beasts are different types and sizes !

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #22
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Post a clip and let's see what you are raving about.
I am scared to now
I don't my bubble burst sir
Appreciate 0