M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #23
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

It used to be impossible to get anything Individual in the US. However, things have changed greatly since 2010. Individual is now an available program in the US, and must be signed off by your dealer and a few others. Some dealers simply don't like to do this for whatever reason, and the ones that will do it, normally only do certain paint and interior options. However as I said before, anything is possible. You must be willing to pay a premium and also be patient and willing to wait. For example, my car took almost six months. Keep in mind I wasted no time. I was as prepared as one could be and had everything in order. I know someone who built an Individual M6, which took about eleven months. It depends on how unique you create your M to be.

BMW has made great strides from 2010 as you can now order Frozen paintworks with no additional lead time. Also, they now offer various individual leather colors as you all know (such as Platin/Platinum, Champagne, Grey, etc). These options are not too expensive and allows one to be able to spec out a unique M5. I applaud BMW for offering this. Some people don't realize how awesome this really is.

This is my fourth Individual M5 and I personally don't deal with my dealer on my Individual orders, all they do is facilitate the end-purchase. I have built relationships from prior purchases and also through various M Events in Europe.

To answer some questions: I did not pick any of my options from a list of any sort. I sat in a standard M5 on a dealer lot with a notepad and designed my car the way I wanted it. It was easy for me to choose my paint and leather color as I had done a ton of research before I began building my car and working with Individual. I made a stitching graph to lay out where I wanted and where I did not want CS. I also added black leather to some parts of the interior to provide more contrast (such as the back of the front seats). I then worked with BMW Individual for months and creatively went back and forth to create and finalize this car (and another M5 in BW) for production.

I wish I could be of more help, but giving out phone numbers and emails is something I cannot do. I suggest you talk to your dealer and work with them. Anything is possible and if you truly want to pursue a car like this, you must be willing to wait for many months and willing to pay a high premium for what you want. There is no such thing as getting a deal or a discount on options like that, and you should expect to pay much more than you would think it costs. I knew what to expect as this was my fourth Individual M5 order. I paid what I paid because I sought a very special Individual M5. I feel lucky to of had this opportunity, and I enjoyed every aspect of designing my Individual M5. Thankfully the great people at M and Individual were amazing to work with and helped me literally make my visions and ideas come true when I took delivery and saw my car for the first time just a few days ago. They are really very nice people.. they even threw in a surprise (left in the car after it left the factory).. a portfolio in Amaro Brown leather with contrast stitching and a small M Badge on it.

Half the fun is designing your own car, and it makes the wait for delivery that much more exciting.
If anyone else ends up building an Individual M5 and is looking for some input on design feel fee to PM me and I'll help you the best I can.
      05-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #24
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Frozen Grey

all of that to ultimately say "im not telling" lol

to answer your question about the cams and coding in the other thread. All the cams work at all speeds excepts the rears which time out, and no one has found a work around, you're welcome for sharing...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek13
all of that to ultimately say "im not telling" lol

to answer your question about the cams and coding in the other thread. All the cams work at all speeds excepts the rears which time out, and no one has found a work around, you're welcome for sharing...
I'm not hiding anything or keeping anything secret. You can literally do almost anything you want, and as another member mentioned, your wallet is the limit.

I have never gone up to a dealer to ask this question. If I had a dealer that could do this, I would absolutely share that dealer. However I went about this in a completely different way a number of years ago. My original contacts have moved on elsewhere in BMW (BMW shuffles their employees around quite often). For the first time in years I dealt with a new group of people at M. With respect, I cannot just give out their contact info.

These M events that I attended in Europe.. BMW also had their top M selling dealers attend (top M salesmen at the dealers). Therefore I would suggest anyone interested to start with a dealership that moves a lot of M vehicles. Some don't know this, but you can purchase from ANY dealer and have the car delivered to ANY dealer. For example, I can order an M5 in California but have the car arrive at port in Brunswick, GA and take delivery at a Miami BMW dealership. So with that said, find a knowledgable and reputable dealer and start there.

If you can't find such a dealer, keep an eye out on cars.com (search M5 inventory for US) for M5's with an MSRP of $130,000+ (or even $120+) That would absolutely be an Individual M5, contact that dealer. That's a good place to start and you should absolutely make some headway.

If you still are having trouble, PM me and I'll try to help.
      05-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #26
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh
When I inquired about contrast stitching is was ~5600$ on top of the cost of extended / full individual (leather dash/doors etc)
As mentioned by the OP you can pretty much order any combination today , your dealer just needs to contact the BMW NA order desk and have them submit the order to BMW HQ
Your wallet is pretty much the limit...

Amaro Brown is one of the nicest interior colors and it was my #1 , but it was too light for my taste to go with Brilliant White (needed a stronger contrast)
I faced a similar issue during the design phase. Even though I had a frozen black exterior, I felt that the interior lacked contrast and was too brown. I also really wanted an Amaro Brown headliner, so I needed to find some sort of solution. IMO Bi-Color interior on the F10 M5 was not an option.

So in the end I just used the BMW standard interior setup and mixed some black leather into the interior and it solved the issue. I was still worried about the brown headliner, but in the end it actually made the car IMO.
      07-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
Dr. Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

"Mysterious" ~ Build Sheet

Hello!

Not to offend("avlnch" - your car is great looking!), but I've been lurking around "BMW" forums and investigating a "future purchase"
for years now and I see this all of the time.

C'mon people, let's not get all self important, here. If you've bought one, and you're on a forum, why not help out the next guy?!?

Even if you have no clue as to how and/or what you shelled out +-$100k for and a car was mysteriously built buy German elves and
delivered to your door, it came with a BUILD SHEET! Every "BMW" has one.

To be specific, I love this "Amaro Brown Merino" leather color! And, the Contrast stitching, really seals the deal. No "design phase" necessary!

BMW Option codes (These can be and are sometimes specific/different to a particular model):

5 series(Inc. "M") -

* ZAP5/Z1XX Amaro Brown / Black - Extended Merino Leather w/ Contrast Stitching

Where "ZAP5" is the leather color and "Z1XX" is the "Special Upholstery" (catch all) request code. In this case, that would be ~ "Contrast stitching."

There are more specific details:

- "Quilting yarn (Nr. 1 969 127) in lotus white, color code 0102 Z."
(You choose the color you want.)

but, any interested salesman("C.A."?) would/should know how to place an "Individual order" and can help you out. You can do more,
but then it get's more complicated and the pricing does skyrocket!

If the leather is not normally offered(In this case it is.~ "Priority 1"), it would be around +-$6600.00 additional ~ Total, Color & C. Stitching. NOT exorbitant when you're paying out almost the equivalent of a small house!

* 4M5 Leather("Nappa") covered dashboard. Only color - Black{Addl. cost}

* XD5 BMW Individual Alcantara Head Liner - Brown{Addl. cost}

With this code you need to SPECIFY THE COLOR. I think the only ones available are Black, Grey, Champagne, Silver & Brown.

Any more questions, feel free...

;-)

Good Luck!

Last edited by Dr. Who; 07-15-2013 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Add code
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #28
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Frozen Grey

Would ya look at that?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #29
AlphaAlpineM6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 & 2012 AMG CLS63

Garage List
on a side note - nice interior color

2008 M3 Sedan + catless + Tune
2012 CLS63 AMG
2014 M6 Coupe + catless + KW V3
2015 Porsche GT3
, 2015 M3, all stock, 1/1 Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #30
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@Dr._Who

Let's get something straight, because you seem to be very confused about me/my car, or don't understand what you are trying to explain to others.

I own an individual M5.. which happens to be loaded with special order equipment (not just the usual paint or usual paint/interior). While an Individual M5 that is loaded with SOE is not too common, it's available to any and all through your local dealer (some dealers are more knowledgable than others). This is a process. You must have patience as your requests need to go up the ladder and be approved.

You also seem to not understand how I order my cars.. I have already mentioned this.. I do not go through the usual and proper channels. What I do is communicate directly with M and Individual. Once I am done, I connect the people I know at Individual with my local dealer and they send my Sales Rep all the pricing he needs to complete the deal at the dealer end. Then I wait for, and take delivery of my car.

I have had a very long and steady relationship with the people at Individual.. some of which I have met in person and have known for many years.
In the last three years, I have ordered and taken delivery of four Individual M5's.
So, as one can imagine, I order my cars a bit differently than normal procedure. All this means is I don't have contact information to post on the forums. If you want an Individual M5, inquire at your local dealer.. It's that simple, there is nothing special or secret to it.

When I say "design phase" I am referring to six months of my time.. time spent going back and forth with M and Individual designing my car. All over my office I have leather samples, alcantara samples, yarn, stitching graphs, renderings, and a lot of photos I took of a standard M5 with notes written all over them.

While one could say that the design phase I went through is a bit unique (especially for a US customer), the car it's self is just an Individual M5, with a ton of special order equipment... which anyone can custom order.

My Individual M5 is not some special secret and I don't represent it as such.. nor am I holding out on anyone. Hopefully this clears things up. Thinking that my car is a secret and I am holding back is just ridiculous.
      07-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #31
BC87
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 M5

WOW, that is a gorgeous interior. AMAZING!! Well done avlnch. Oh almost forgot to answer your post. I keep it in my pocket or on the passenger seat.
      08-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #32
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@BC87 Thank you. I don't really post photos of my car online too often. Don't even have many on my cell phone right now. But I just installed an Akra exhaust.. which I love by the way.

So I might take it to the same spot I brought my E60 M5 and do a little photoshoot of the car.

Last edited by avlnch; 08-02-2013 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0