BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Impressed by the M5, and disappointed by other cars

Test drove the 911 Carrera 4s and the Jag F Type S V8. Now that I have the M5, I decided a 2 door coupe would be a great buy.

First the 911 Carrera 4s. It is a great car, great noise, great handling. The only problem I realized is how lazy the M5 made me. With all that torque the M5 just goes from any gear. Sometimes on long and curvy roads, 2nd and 3rd gear is all you really need. The Porsche on the other hand has to be reved. After it hits 4k RPM, yeah it takes off, but before 4k RPM I really expected a but more. I would love to have more torque from a lower range. Of course the price is something I do not understand as well. 125k! For something slower (straight line), less comfortable, and less usable for everyday driving.

The Jag F type. Nice car. Not as good as the Porsche, but my god what a sound! It is just loud and obnoxious, and will get the whole neighborhood pissed off. Its interior, just like the Porsche, is okay. The Jag loves to drift, its a RWD car after all. I didnt like the brakes, or the suspension set up. Its just to loose on the road. Not to mention the price tag on this car is 105k

So after test driving those cars, it makes me wonder... is it even worth getting a coupe sports car? I feel like the M5 is better than the Jag, and faster than the 911 4s in a straight line, and still handles exceptionally well for such a large car. After all, what I realized is that either the cars are too expensive, or BMW is just to generous with their prices. The M5 really is the best compromise between performance and luxury.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21
Test drove the 911 Carrera 4s and the Jag F Type S V8. Now that I have the M5, I decided a 2 door coupe would be a great buy.

First the 911 Carrera 4s. It is a great car, great noise, great handling. The only problem I realized is how lazy the M5 made me. With all that torque the M5 just goes from any gear. Sometimes on long and curvy roads, 2nd and 3rd gear is all you really need. The Porsche on the other hand has to be reved. After it hits 4k RPM, yeah it takes off, but before 4k RPM I really expected a but more. I would love to have more torque from a lower range. Of course the price is something I do not understand as well. 125k! For something slower (straight line), less comfortable, and less usable for everyday driving.

The Jag F type. Nice car. Not as good as the Porsche, but my god what a sound! It is just loud and obnoxious, and will get the whole neighborhood pissed off. Its interior, just like the Porsche, is okay. The Jag loves to drift, its a RWD car after all. I didnt like the brakes, or the suspension set up. Its just to loose on the road. Not to mention the price tag on this car is 105k

So after test driving those cars, it makes me wonder... is it even worth getting a coupe sports car? I feel like the M5 is better than the Jag, and faster than the 911 4s in a straight line, and still handles exceptionally well for such a large car. After all, what I realized is that either the cars are too expensive, or BMW is just to generous with their prices. The M5 really is the best compromise between performance and luxury.
This is why a lot of people have an M5 and an M6. Also look at the SL550.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Or....a pre-owned GT3? Or the new one if you wanna spend $130-$150. Then you will certainly have the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

lol! This was EXACTLY my experience with Porsche. No FUN unless you're really revved. The massive pull in all ranges that the M car delivers really spoils you. I ended up ordering a 2014 F13 M6 (trading my F10) to park next to our F12 convertible.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
This is why a lot of people have an M5 and an M6. Also look at the SL550.
Love the M6, just not sure if its worth having almost 2 similar cars. But I rather take the M6 over the SL550. I dont like the styling Mercedes has gone to. They look so weird. Only Mercedes I do like is the SLS 63 AMG Black series, but that is out of my price range.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
lol! This was EXACTLY my experience with Porsche. No FUN unless you're really revved. The massive pull in all ranges that the M car delivers really spoils you. I ended up ordering a 2014 F13 M6 (trading my F10) to park next to our F12 convertible.
Congrats on the F13!

The Porsche really surprised me! I took off, and immediately thought to myself.... is this all it has to offer? Then I remembered it is an NA engine and needs to be reved. So I gave it a chance. Really fun car, but nahhh I rather take the massive Torque from ///M.

One thing that surprised me, was I did some corners at 70 to 80 MPH with the Porsche, got in the M5, and did the same corners at about the same speed, with a harder pull on the exit. Also, I found the DCT in the M5 on Sports + more exciting, than the PDK...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I test drove the F-type V8 today. Great exterior and interior styling, ridiculous engine and exhaust noise, V8 engine IMO over powers the balance of the car.

I've also driven the 911 S convertible and coupe, but I still keep coming back to my M5. I've come to the conclusion that the M5 is the best car at 100K, to drive another car of similar performance and feel, you have to spend 140k+ (porsche GT3, Audi R8 V10, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
FLOMACKS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60

I was trying to talk myself all talked into getting a new 911 next weekend. I have a feeling i'll back off after the test drive. I backed off after the test drive a couple years ago, that was before the M5- I had a 550i.

Unless you're getting a turbo or the GT3.... if you can pull off the second car, then maybe.

I can't - I only have 3700 miles on my M5, and my wife will hit me with too many questions.
2015 S63AMG Sedan
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21 View Post
Congrats on the F13!

The Porsche really surprised me! I took off, and immediately thought to myself.... is this all it has to offer? Then I remembered it is an NA engine and needs to be reved. So I gave it a chance. Really fun car, but nahhh I rather take the massive Torque from ///M.

One thing that surprised me, was I did some corners at 70 to 80 MPH with the Porsche, got in the M5, and did the same corners at about the same speed, with a harder pull on the exit. Also, I found the DCT in the M5 on Sports + more exciting, than the PDK...
10000000% agreed on all points! I am so glad to hear all of this from someone else. I was starting to think i was nuts! Could a Porsche REALLY bore me? I guess it's true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgtrs2007 View Post
I test drove the F-type V8 today. Great exterior and interior styling, ridiculous engine and exhaust noise, V8 engine IMO over powers the balance of the car.

I've also driven the 911 S convertible and coupe, but I still keep coming back to my M5. I've come to the conclusion that the M5 is the best car at 100K, to drive another car of similar performance and feel, you have to spend 140k+ (porsche GT3, Audi R8 V10, etc.).
No doubt about ti!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllwlf View Post
I was trying to talk myself all talked into getting a new 911 next weekend. I have a feeling i'll back off after the test drive. I backed off after the test drive a couple years ago, that was before the M5- I had a 550i.

Unless you're getting a turbo or the GT3.... if you can pull off the second car, then maybe.

I can't - I only have 3700 miles on my M5, and my wife will hit me with too many questions.
hahahaha! Same here! I keep trying so hard to like the Porsche but each time I drive one I turn off immediately and get in my M car and love it even more. This INCLUDES 2012 997 Turbos-cab and coupe. There is just SOMETHING missing. The 997 just feels "old". The 991 feels newer but slow. The turbo comes out in December and it will be a rocket but the non "S" will e $180K when you add options (base is $142) and the base S starts at $182K. I could swing it but I got the new car itch and I am not truly convinced that I will LOVE either car regardless of speed (not sure what it is that doesn't turn me on about them-the M car just feels "right"-a perfect mix of power and luxury) and I didn't want to wait that long only to be disappointed. So I ordered the F13.

So, I see you are in Atl also. What part? You should join us at Caffeine & Octane sometime

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
I drove a 991S and was bored to tears. Agree that the PDK in that car is not as good as the M-DCT.

Next, I got in a manual Boxtser Spyder. I know Boxsters suck. Except the Spyder is not a typical Boxster. That car blew (still blows) my mind. I bought it. It's 180 degrees from the M5. No torque, but the best handling car I've ever driven. In fact, it's the most fun car I've ever owned. It gets driven while the M5 sits and loses battery voltage. Of course, the Spyder doesn't even have a roof, so can't compete as the only car someone would own.

So, the GT3 is of great interest for me. But only if the car is as raw as the Spyder, and PDK-S is truly fast. Videos seem to indicate that it will be.

Regardless, the M5 is an amazing car and I agree the best all rounder out there.
      07-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
tico12
tico12
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG; awaiting 2014 M5

I am bursting with anticipation for the arrival of my 2014 AB M5 due by the end of August. Only 1 month left with my faithful & fun C63 AMG.

Have never really driven an M5 (only short test), so hard to make direct comparisons. But have driven C4S extensively and I love that car. Borrow my buddies's a week at a time, and spent 3 days at Porsche winter driving school really pushing the limits.

Totally different from M5 in terms of function, comfort levels and torque. But push that Sport+ button and everything becomes super-sensitive. Engine and steering responsiveness are immediate. Suspension lowers and tightens and noise is in your ears(not piped in) Added benefit in my part of the world is secure all-season driving with 4wd. Sure the M5 might make you feel spoilt because you don't have to shift as often due to the torque, but some call that driver involvement.

Looking forward to a beautiful relationship with coming M5(power & practicality) but if I were in the market for a coupe, can't think of much I'd prefer to C4S(emotional connection & nimble handling & AWD)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
gsc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche Turbo

Depending on budget, I would look at an Sl63 AMG
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Interesting points, and I agree with most on the comparison. However, they're two different cars. I have both, and at first I said why did I buy the 911S because of the torque difference. The 911 has to be in the higher revs, but it gets there quick, and I have the 7 speed manual which I love to drive. The M5 I have the DCT, but I have been spending more time in the Porsche as the feel is second to none. By the way if you look at the track time on the new 991S compared to the previous GT3 they're pretty close.

The Porsche is for my alone time, and I want to ride through the twisties, and it's a beautiful car to say the least. Long term I will keep the Porsche longer than M5 just for the driving feel, and the engine sound is insane. Just my two cents. I have less than 4000 miles on the M5, and 500 on the Porsche so more testing to be done.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Interesting points, and I agree with most on the comparison. However, they're two different cars. I have both, and at first I said why did I buy the 911S because of the torque difference. The 911 has to be in the higher revs, but it gets there quick, and I have the 7 speed manual which I love to drive. The M5 I have the DCT, but I have been spending more time in the Porsche as the feel is second to none. By the way if you look at the track time on the new 991S compared to the previous GT3 they're pretty close.

The Porsche is for my alone time, and I want to ride through the twisties, and it's a beautiful car to say the least. Long term I will keep the Porsche longer than M5 just for the driving feel, and the engine sound is insane. Just my two cents. I have less than 4000 miles on the M5, and 500 on the Porsche so more testing to be done.
I am not saying the Porsche is bad. I am saying its different. If I never experienced all that torque from the M5, I could see myself getting a Porsche, but, do you really have to pay such a premium when you get more car for cheaper? Porsche wins handling no question, but the M5 does things it should not do, and the price tag makes more sense to me. If I am going to spend 120K+ I expected it to at least out perform the M5 in a straight line, and offer something more than the M5. I understand its two different cars, and you cant compare them, but the Porsche is not as exciting as the M car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
I am not saying the Porsche is bad. I am saying its different. If I never experienced all that torque from the M5, I could see myself getting a Porsche, but, do you really have to pay such a premium when you get more car for cheaper? Porsche wins handling no question, but the M5 does things it should not do, and the price tag makes more sense to me. If I am going to spend 120K+ I expected it to at least out perform the M5 in a straight line, and offer something more than the M5. I understand its two different cars, and you cant compare them, but the Porsche is not as exciting as the M car.
Totally agree about the price point. On another recent thread, i commented about going to Porsche recently, about ordering a new GT3. I left the showroom in a daze, between the price of options, and Porsche finance, and the general attitude, just why do they need to be so much money ?. Got back in the M5, and wondered just what i was doing at the Porsche showroom, the M5 is fantastic, and at a fair price for what you are getting. I am really a Turbo guy, but hey, £145k sterling for a new turbo S, just bonkers for a regular bloke that loves cars. Dont get me wrong, i could have bought the GT3 the other day, but im older and wiser, and it was just time for me to say, sorry Porsche, NO !, if i had felt they were really trying for me, things might have been different. Went out in the M5 last night, after a slight thunderstorm, and the air was very fresh and cool, after a long period of heat and humidity over here, and all i could say was "Holy SH$T, the power is definitely back, just superb.

Last edited by Simon H; 07-28-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Totally agree about the price point. On another recent thread, i commented about going to Porsche recently, about ordering a new GT3. I left the showroom in a daze, between the price of options, and Porsche finance, and the general attitude, just why do they need to be so much money ?. Got back in the M5, and wondered just what i was doing at the Porsche showroom, the M5 is fantastic, at a fair price for what you are getting. I am really a Turbo guy, but hey, £145 sterling for a new turbo S, just bonkers for a regular bloke that loves cars. Dont get me wrong, i could have bought the GT3 the other day, but im older and wiser, and is was just time for me to say, sorry Porsche, NO !, if i had felt they were really trying for me, things might have been different. Went out in the M5 last night, after a slight thunderstorm, and the air was very fresh and cool, after a long period of heat and humidity over here, and all i could say was "Holy SH$T, the power is definitely back, just superb.
VERY similar experience and sentiments here.

I always feel the same way when getting into one of my M cars after leaving a Porsche dealership or talking to a Porsche salesperson. After commenting to one salesman about hoe the M was so much more powerful than the Porsche, one salesperson at Porsche says to me "well we both know HAT'S not all there is to driving a car". REALLY? I get that-like luxury and comfort-both things lacking in the Porsche.

I suppose that I am one of those old guys who just loves the thrill of a powerful, well-mannered yet comfortable and luxurious car too...and happy to be so

Last edited by ColdList; 07-28-2013 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120 View Post
I am new to the forum and I currently have a 2013 M5 Monte Carlo blue 6 speed manual transmission with full leather,executive package,drivers assistance,b&o,20 inch wheels, with the silver stone interior. I traded in a 550 m sport x drive with DINAN stage 4 mods that I was very happy with and is a excellent performing sports sedan. But since I have owned the M5 (since June 26 and 1600 miles) I have not regretted my decision one bit. I am very happy I decided to go with the M5, espcially in six speed manual, that was a tough decision vs. the Dct but now I am happy I did it, would not go back to the 550 or automated manual. I do not know about the Porsche or jag, but after three months of research and test driving vehicles I am convinced the M5 is the best all around four door sports sedan for comfort and performance. This is my first m car and I am very happy. The M5 has always been my dream car and I feel very fortunate and lucky to have the opportunity to own one. By the way who else offers a four door 560 hp sedan in six speed manual.
When I ordered my first M5, I just about had a nervous break down about which transmission to pick. 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT? 6MT? DCT?

I went with the DCT.

Now here I am on the verge of ordering a Competition Package M5, and again I am facing the dilemma of 6MT or DCT. DCT is amazing, but I am finding my driving experience missing something. My worst fear is that I get a 6MT and I hate it. As the DCT is not a bad choice to live with. LOL. I love my E39 and I think that... well the F10 6MT experience can't be worse than that.
      07-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
E90076
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M, M2CS, M5CS

Lightly used 911 Turbo?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yep I hear the M5 is a beast, and not too many cars are faster 0 to 60 which is not a good measurement. You can make a Nova go fast. Don't get me wrong I love my M5 it's a multi purpose car. Just took the kids to a movie, and I'm the cool dad. But date night it's Porsche time(: Enjoy your cars .........
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #20
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yep I hear the M5 is a beast, and not too many cars are faster 0 to 60 which is not a good measurement. You can make a Nova go fast. Don't get me wrong I love my M5 it's a multi purpose car. Just took the kids to a movie, and I'm the cool dad. But date night it's Porsche time(: Enjoy your cars .........
Can't argue with that Henry. The 911 is definitely EXTREMELY hot looking and a serious chick magnet.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Can't argue with that Henry. The 911 is definitely EXTREMELY hot looking and a serious chick magnet.
Can't believe you're getting rid of the M5 you have one of the hotteson eon's on the board man! The Porsche will keep BMW honest, and know they have to always stay on their game. It is a check magnet shhhhhhhhhhhhh(:
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #22
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Can't believe you're getting rid of the M5 you have one of the hotteson eon's on the board man! The Porsche will keep BMW honest, and know they have to always stay on their game. It is a check magnet shhhhhhhhhhhhh(:
Thanks man. I do appreciate that but after driving the wife's M6 I just have to have one. Makes my M5 seem a lot less sporty. Not to take away from the M5. I absolutely LOVE my car. I just want to get myself something a bit more engaging that I can throw around corners easier and drive the heck out of. Really everything about it just feels a lot more fun to me. It sits lower, you sit lower in it, it corners better, etc. It is just more of a driver's car IMHO. I know some M5 owners may not agree but to each his own. Two diff cars each with their own advantages and uniquely enjoyable features. I just don't really need a sedan since I have a super crew truck and since my wife has the F12 it just is not ok for her to have the more fun car-lol! The comp. pkg. should be a really nice mix of everything. Very excited. Already have a sweet set of ADV7.0 Track Spec SL wheels sitting in my office waiting on her arrival and a full Vorsteiner Aero Kit (supposed to be the very first one with the exception of the one EAS got early to show) on order.

-Mike

p.s. A "check" magnet is right with the Porsche! I was building the new Turbo (non-"S") on line and I was mid $170s even with leaving out some options-yikes! I am hoping that when it does come out in December that I don't even tempt myself into driving one-could be extremely dangerous to my checkbook.

Last edited by ColdList; 07-28-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0