BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Front lips and Rear diffusers (3d design/ vorsteiner/ rkp)

Are front lips and rear diffusers completely cosmetic? Do they act positively / negatively on handling / aerodynamics?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR View Post
Are front lips and rear diffusers completely cosmetic? Do they act positively / negatively on handling / aerodynamics?
I have always felt that they are purely for looks. For as long as I have been into cars, tuners who make any kind of aero for any generation BMW M5, have yet to show any evidence of wind tunnel testing their products. This is why I have always disagreed with putting that stuff on my cars. To me, they just add weight.

You would need something drastic like on an Audi R8 Cup Car for a proper splitter or diffuser to generate enough force to make a difference.

But I'm sure that with a big enough wing at the correct angle, you could easily add downforce to a big sedan like an M5, but I'm not sure that it would be worth it, unless you are competitively tracking the car. In that case, why would you be driving an M5 in the first place. Lol!

Even for real functional aero for a big car like a Sports Sedan, the new 2016 Cadillac CTS-V is the real deal when it comes to that, but if you look at it, it actually detracts from the looks of the car. The angles involves with a lip spoiler on the trunk are just too aggressive for looks, even though they actually work.

I also think that Active Aero like on the Porsche 991 911 Turbo S's actively extending and retracting front splitter or the extending rear spoiler on an RS7 make more downforce than an aftermarket bolt-on aero product unless that product is much much larger than the stock spoiler/splitter.

See what I mean?
Attached Images

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-02-2015 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Thanks for the reply mate. I'm more concerned about possibility of a negative impact on aerodynamics and handling. Not looking for performance gains.

I agree, prominent rear spoilers look out of place on saloon cars.

The f10 m5 just looks too discreet / quiet imo. I like the look of the front lip and rear diffuser though.

Last edited by IshR; 03-02-2015 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0