Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Double-lock feature

Hello,

Sorry if it was discussed before. I was wondering how does the remote keyless entry double-lock feature work? It is stated that it is coded by the dealer. Thanks in advance for your input.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The "double-lock" feature is that when you lock the door the lock moves in a "double locking" fashion that makes it impossible to open the door from the outside or from the inside of the car.

This prevents someone smashing a window and opening the car door or putting a wire through a small gap or the sunroof and opening the door by pulling the interior door handle.

This has been standard on BMWs for a long time.
No coding needed.
Its activated when locking via the key remote or via the normal comfort access (keyless) locking method.

Remember about this feature when you leave the car with someone inside. If you lock the car with the remote or via the keyless touch, they will NOT be able to get out the car.
Rather have them lock the car from the inside via the lock button on the dash. Then they can open it again themselves if they need to get out.
      03-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
The "double-lock" feature is that when you lock the door the lock moves in a "double locking" fashion that makes it impossible to open the door from the outside or from the inside of the car.

This prevents someone smashing a window and opening the car door or putting a wire through a small gap or the sunroof and opening the door by pulling the interior door handle.

This has been standard on BMWs for a long time.
No coding needed.
Its activated when locking via the key remote or via the normal comfort access (keyless) locking method.

Remember about this feature when you leave the car with someone inside. If you lock the car with the remote or via the keyless touch, they will NOT be able to get out the car.
Rather have them lock the car from the inside via the lock button on the dash. Then they can open it again themselves if they need to get out.
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. BMWNA website indicates that it is coded by the dealer. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBA View Post
BMWNA website indicates that it is coded by the dealer.
Could you give me a link so I can read what they say ?
      03-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Never mind, found it

Quote:
Remote keyless entry security alarm system with selective unlocking and double-lock feature (programmed at your authorized BMW center), remote trunk opening, interior motion detector, and panic feature
I think its a badly worded statement.
Dont think the "programmed" bit refers to the double lock, but rather the whole alarm system. And that should also fit more with cars that dont come standard with alarms, but can have them fitted at the dealer (like some USA 3 Series ect)

Think it was cut and paste from somewhere.
      03-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Could you give me a link so I can read what they say ?
Sure, from the left side options under Learn pick "features & specs" then at the top pick "standard features" then scroll down to safety and security...

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...n/default.aspx
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #7
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Never mind, found it

I think its a badly worded statement.
Dont think the "programmed" bit refers to the double lock, but rather the whole alarm system. And that should also fit more with cars that dont come standard with alarms, but can have them fitted at the dealer (like some USA 3 Series ect)

Think it was cut and paste from somewhere.
Thank you for taking the time to look into it....
Appreciate 0