BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-06-2023, 05:54 PM   #1
Matt1985
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

First time M car owner question

Picked up my first M car last week - the long desired F10 M5. Feeling a bit frustrated as I simply can’t get the power down. Whenever I hit the accelerator the back end slips out and the power is ‘cut’ back.
Tyres are Pilot Super Sport and are new with the purchas of the car.
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setup I need in order to get more grip? I’ve been mostly driving in ‘efficiency’ (LOL) mode with comfort settings and gear
changes on the bottom setting.
Any help really appreciated!
PS. Sorry if these are daft questions but I feel way out of my depth! 😄
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60090.50
      02-07-2023, 12:24 AM   #2
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I’d definitely reccomend driving with traction off or atleast MDM mode, sport plus everything besides steering wheel (your preference) and your tires aren’t that good, I personally think super sports are trash, either get Pilot sport 4s’s or cup 2’s and you’ll never have the rear slip again

Also make sure your tire pressure isn’t that high, 35 cold 40 max hot those are normal psi’s for these cars I personally run 30 cold psi
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2023, 03:35 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1985 View Post
Picked up my first M car last week - the long desired F10 M5. Feeling a bit frustrated as I simply can’t get the power down. Whenever I hit the accelerator the back end slips out and the power is ‘cut’ back.
Tyres are Pilot Super Sport and are new with the purchas of the car.
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setup I need in order to get more grip? I’ve been mostly driving in ‘efficiency’ (LOL) mode with comfort settings and gear
changes on the bottom setting.
Any help really appreciated!
PS. Sorry if these are daft questions but I feel way out of my depth! ��
Hardly anyone on here has Super Sports tyres now and I don't know why they have the BMW recommended star on them, the other Pilot Sport PS4S have more grip and feel more planted on the road with less chirping on launching and are seen as the best for these. The Cup 2 tyres have great grip when it's warmer and dry but not good in wet and cold conditions,in fact quite dicey.

I'm personally happy with DSC on all the time for safety, engine can go into sport and super sport when warmed up and frankly the bad roads need comfort setting on most of the time.
The gearbox in auto is perfect and actually out-thinks you in what gear you should be in making the semi auto flip handles mostly redundant.

Last edited by M5Rick; 02-07-2023 at 03:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2023, 04:02 AM   #4
Matt1985
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the feedback!
Gutted to hear about the tyres as I don’t have £1200 knocking about to replace these ones 😕
Getting the cash together to buy the car has left my bank account a little lighter and the wife and kids want a holiday 😂
Thanks for the advice - shame about the tyres though
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 04:30 AM   #5
Matt1985
Registered
Rep

Traction control off? Hope this is not an idiot question but won’t they give me less grip?
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60090.50
      02-07-2023, 04:56 AM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep

^ Exactly and I wouldn't switch it off under any circumstances, dynamic drive MDM can be used when it's warm and dry,it cuts the traction by a fraction for a spirited drive as BMW puts it, I'd get used to the car first before exploring it's extremes.
I have the 305 30 20 PS4's on the rear of mine for better traction than the 295's and I always get more traction off the line with the DCT and suspension in comfort with part throttle in first then in 2-3 giving it more as speed rises.
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2023, 05:21 PM   #7
E36graduate
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT

We are in same boat and I made the same mistake test driving a M5 in New Hampshire with summer tires in (Michelin pss 4s) - the owner doesn’t drive in cold weather conditions. It was too easy to spin the tires, but coming from a B7RS4 with all season Michelin’s, I knew the difference. Those summer tires are hard as rocks in winter temps….

Let’s join up soon. I’m in SE Mass towards cape

2008 335xi - 6MT - BMS JB4 G5i - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - BMS WW Meth - Spec Stage 2+ - Spec SMFW - 19" MVR Magnum's - KW V1's - TMS 12.5+20mm Spacers
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2023, 07:56 PM   #8
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1985 View Post
Traction control off? Hope this is not an idiot question but won’t they give me less grip?
Reason why I said traction off is because the system could be a bit sensitive and even a slight bump in the road could activate it and cut boost

Once you have some decent gripping tires the car won’t be slipping anyways

Regarding cup 2’s in the rain I’ve personally had great experience with them, they act like any other summer tire in the rain
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2023, 05:06 AM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36graduate View Post
We are in same boat and I made the same mistake test driving a M5 in New Hampshire with summer tires in (Michelin pss 4s) - the owner doesn’t drive in cold weather conditions. It was too easy to spin the tires, but coming from a B7RS4 with all season Michelin’s, I knew the difference. Those summer tires are hard as rocks in winter temps….

Let’s join up soon. I’m in SE Mass towards cape
At least it's not compulsory you fit winter tyres there like they do in Europe with four spare wheels and tyres always hanging on the garage walls.
I'm in Olde England over the pond and have cousins in West Massachusetts
Appreciate 1