M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

What to do with food craves? tips an advice please!

I know im not the only one, but what do you guys do when tempted to eat junk or unhealthy food?

Do those "carb control" pills work?

I have a weakness! help me someone!!!!!!!

Even when I have had a had workout, couple hours later im craving something! if not that day or moment, then usually the next day at the same time Im craving fuckn burgers, ice cream, everything!

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

I remember a while back I was on a crazy healthy diet with weekends off. It worked pretty well, I would look forward to the weekend to feast haha and it was a good shock to the body too.

simple answer though, just don't do it or limit yourself to once per week.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 02:11 AM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Just give into it- depending on what it is. I've been craving jack link's beef jerky recently so I went out and bought like 5 bags so far. For a while I was eating Lay's kettle cooked jalapeno chips like crazy. I think your body is telling you something when you're craving something. Like I know when you look at a fruit and want it, your body is telling you that you need it. I figure craves are okay as long as you don't over do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

I would drink water when you are having cravings and know you shouldn't eat a particular food or it's in the middle of the night. A lot of times when you get that feeling of hunger, your body needs water.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

I've been told to drink water and snack on a couple of peanuts. Peanuts are supposed to trick the mind to think its full.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

peanuts and peanut butter are very filling

have a slice of peanut butter and toast in the mornings and it will keep you full for a long time
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

I have a couple tricks.

1) Eat foods high in protein. Protein will make your body feel full longer. If you make a larger portion of your meal protein, you won't crave as much later in the day.

2) Have a healthy snack food on hand. I keep a bag of almonds in my desk or apples in my fridge at home. That way if I'm craving something, I snack on those healthy foods to dillute the craving and am much healthier because of it.

Honestly it's just getting in the routine of those two things. After a while the cravings for 'junk food' subside. Once you change your diet then your body doesn't really care to have a big greasy burger any more, or if so, no cheese & mayo. It will start to crave healthier items as they'll start to taste better and 'junk' food starts to taste worse. It's initially going to be a mental challenge, but I follow the two rules above and it's worked tremendously.

Edit: Drinking extra water helps a bit but wasn't enough for me. Was still craving food after, which is when the almonds come in handy.
      01-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmamg View Post
peanuts and peanut butter are very filling

have a slice of peanut butter and toast in the mornings and it will keep you full for a long time
its during around 5pm and after is when my cravings it. I dont even smoke green to trigger anything. fml

Im ganna try the water today

- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

The key to a healthy lifestyle is moderation. If you deprive your body of what it needs, it will only be a matter of time before you binge. Work on moderation; small portions or even substitute products.

Instead of an entire pizza, feed your craving by just having a few slices.

Instead of a six pack of beer, just have one.

...so on and so forth.

Also, eat slower. It takes about 10 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that you are full...it could be the difference between a slice and a whole pie..LOL!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I eat 2 bananas and drink a glass of water! It will fill you up instantly and stop youre cravings. When you are hungry your mind will think of all of the things you enjoy eating(burgers etc)....as soon as youre hunger is satisfied youre cravings will stop. The trick is to eat the bananas as soon as possible before you can make that decision to go for a burger because once its in youre mind that youre going to get one......youre going to get it
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
I eat 2 bananas and drink a glass of water! It will fill you up instantly and stop youre cravings. When you are hungry your mind will think of all of the things you enjoy eating(burgers etc)....as soon as youre hunger is satisfied youre cravings will stop. The trick is to eat the bananas as soon as possible before you can make that decision to go for a burger because once its in youre mind that youre going to get one......youre going to get it
thats more than 60 grams of carbs lol. Even though its natural you sill have to burn it..

I work on 1 banana a day if that. Your right about the burger thing and eating it before the crave. Im ganna give my credit/debit cards to my parents or somthing so I dont have the urge to go..

--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
The key to a healthy lifestyle is moderation. If you deprive your body of what it needs, it will only be a matter of time before you binge. Work on moderation; small portions or even substitute products.

Instead of an entire pizza, feed your craving by just having a few slices.

Instead of a six pack of beer, just have one.

...so on and so forth.

Also, eat slower. It takes about 10 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that you are full...it could be the difference between a slice and a whole pie..LOL!
See, that is my problem. Moderation is what kills me because I always tell myself to eat little but once I put that small amount in my stomach it becomes a ticking bomb

--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Drink water when you're hungry. A glass of water will usually help with the cravings. Moderation and self discipline really is the key here. I'm still on the path of losing weight and I slip off the path tons(lack of discipline). Those diet pills never worked for me, but when I started to moderate myself, and cut out fast food and such, I lost a lot of weight. Sometimes you just need to ignore the cravings if you know you've eaten enough already. It's all mental.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo>NA View Post
See, that is my problem. Moderation is what kills me because I always tell myself to eat little but once I put that small amount in my stomach it becomes a ticking bomb
I know what you mean man... hate it when that happens. Try to pre-portion before you eat.

Edit: Also, sometimes I like to destroy or give away my food so I don't have that temptation.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #15
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
I know what you mean man... hate it when that happens. Try to pre-portion before you eat.

Edit: Also, sometimes I like to destroy or give away my food so I don't have that temptation.
Sometimes I wish I can go fat camp even though im not fat lol. Or go live on a island for 3 months with nothing but beach, sand, and fruits lol.

--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #16
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Also with large meals, I started eating only half of it and boxing the rest/putting it in the fridge before I have the chance to eat the rest. You'll be fine for a while, and even if you have to pull out the rest later, it'll help speed metabolism and fulfill a craving you probably would have had anyway.

Great trick for moderation /\
      01-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #17
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Fight it. Eat a snack of some other kind that's heathier.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Drink more water and eat foods high in fiber.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #19
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I had the same problem. The first 2 weeks are the hardest. After that, you will become used to it..trust me. Give it a try.

I put my buddy on this diet and he lost 60 pounds in 14 months.

Drink plenty of water and eat with moderation.

I do Lean Cusines for lunch and oatmeal or Cherios for Bfast. I'll throw a fruit and a Protein Shake sometime before dinner. 5-6 small meals per day will also keep you metabolism active.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #20
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP View Post
Drink more water and eat foods high in fiber.
+1 Cheerios are great!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #21
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
+1 Cheerios are great!
I will eat oats like I used to. Cheerios is good and all, but no need for extra carbs and sugar not to mention milk in the equation..

--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Sometimes I wish I can go fat camp even though im not fat lol. Or go live on a island for 3 months with nothing but beach, sand, and fruits lol.
Lmao I thought I was the only one.. Not fat camp though may be like boot camp and get in a sick shape. If it wasnt for school and work or I would do it. May be in the summer

Appreciate 0