United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 - 14 M5

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Damage Done During Dealer Repair

Hey Guys,

I need some advice as to how to handle the following because this has never happened to me, and I know how car dealers can often take advantage of people and I don't want that to be me. I want my car fixed, that's the bottom line.

About three weeks ago I was driving on the Jersey Turnpike and an 18 wheeler decided to shed a tire. The tire reflected off a car to the left of me and into my car damaging the right side of the bumper and the right rocker panel. The tire went under the car that's how the rocker panel got damaged. There luckily was a State Trooper who witnessed all of this and pulled me, the other car, and the truck to the side. The trooper filled an accident report, I called my insurance and notified them and took the car right the dealer. The insurance company checked the car out, approved it as comprehensive and sent the dealership a check for however much it was.

Three weeks later (today) I went to the dealership to get my car. I was very excited as I watched her come closer, but as the car came closer I saw more and more defects in the work done. The bumper was completely repainted and that was about it. After looking over the with car my sales associate, since everyone in service had already gone home we found all of the following:

Dust and dirt under the paint - You can physically feel bumps when running your hand over the paint
Bubbling paint
Scratches on the rear quarter panel
A scratch on the drivers side door
The rocker panel was completely untouched with rubber marks still on it
There was over polishing on the front bumper where the car was painted (Black burn marks through the paint)
There were stone chips on the hood that weren't present before (Pictures to prove it)
The interior trim piece which surrounds the DCT gear leaver was scratched and chipped
The glove box was all scratched up

After all this was said and done I looked back at my gas log book. Yes, I write down every time I get gas, the mileage, the price and the station. I got gas about five miles from the dealership. However according to my book and the odometer, the car has been driven 12 miles. Correct me if I'm wrong but there's no way the car should have been driven that much.

The sales associate told me they would make this right however he said that not everything would be fixed due to price constants. I am really at a lose for words. I have bought SEVEN cars from the dealership and this is how I'm treated and how service is done? Maybe customer loyalty is gone with the wind.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

Last edited by WJSM5; 06-11-2015 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
WJSM5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Here are pictures - https://www.flickr.com/photos/133888.../shares/03C523
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:10 AM   #3
Rborrow14
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 & M6,X5 4.8is,E39,535

What part of NJ is This?>....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:16 AM   #4
Rborrow14
Banned
Rep

I just Read you Story Bud,this suck big Time!...altough have you Contacted BMW NA?. maybe they can help, and also the pictures you have provided are your key to nailing this scum and taking your insurance money. if anything, let me know if i can help My good friend has a body shop (International 2000) contact me if they can't sort this out for you..hope it turns out that dealer really take everything seriously. I would go BBB and blast them everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:16 AM   #5
WJSM5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rborrow14
What part of NJ is This?>....
Not giving specific dealership but mercer county.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #6
Rborrow14
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSM5 View Post
Not giving specific dealership but mercer county.
ah, Ok. hope it turns out for the best then.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #7
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Just saw your pictures - that is absolutely unacceptable. The car was definitely taken for a ride / weekend joy trip.

I would blast out the dealership name here and rip these jerks a new butthole. The paint quality is terrible, there are skid marks on your front bumper, and the interior looks all scratched up. They HAVE to fix all of this.

Talk to them nicely first but be firm. Document everything - all calls, names etc. Call a lawyer (we really need a list of lawyers by region on this forum that are recommended for such things given its a tedious task to find these people when we need them) and know your legal options. You can file a BBB complaint here https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complai...nt/get-started. BMW NA is an option but that's a silver bullet and don't waste it early on. Call them once everything is documented...

Hopefully your dealer realizes he is being an arse. If he doesn't then firm up and threaten full legal action, BBB and BMWNA and BMW AG complaints. Have your lawyer with you at the dealership when you threaten action so they know you are serious.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #8
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

That blows. Ive also noticed that customer loyalty is worth nothing anymore. Maybe we;re just old fashioned in this day and age of instant everything.

Id blast the dealer's name all over here and also on social media and @ BMW on twitter and get them to notice. Its a dick move, but it works. Companies dont want to publicise their fuckups on such an open forums as twitter or FB.

Good luck!
f.
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

120 miles for what exactly? They took your car for a joy ride or someone took it home. Find out who drove the car. You have everything documented so go see the owner of the dealership, I would not even attempt to talk to service anymore. This is disgraceful. Show the owner what happened to your car after you brought it in for service. Someone should be fired for this, a total lack of respect for you.

If you can't get any satisfaction I would internet the living shit out of this dealer and I wouldn't stop. I would post everyday.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Lawyer up.
      06-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #11
WJSM5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Update: Called the dealership, spoke with the assistant manager. He says he will talk to the SA I used and get back to me. He wasn't sure on what the resolution would be.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Lawyer up.
I'm not real big on this usually but your case is pretty damn compelling. That is a stunningly bad job. They have beat the *&^% out of your car. Good luck and keep us posted. Sucks this happened.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #13
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten
Quote:
Lawyer up.
I'm not real big on this usually but your case is pretty damn compelling. That is a stunningly bad job. They have beat the *&^% out of your car. Good luck and keep us posted. Sucks this happened.
Agreed, but correct who now how they treated the car, tires, motor... It's obvious they were hard on it because the new damage. I don't know if I would want the car back with all that repainting. I would definitely get some loss of value money from them. I don't think I would let that ship repair of their first paint job was that bad. I would take it somewhere else. Sorry to hear this, it's really horrible and should not be expected form a BMW dealer.
      06-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #14
WJSM5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02
Quote:
Quote:
Lawyer up.
Agreed, but correct who now how they treated the car, tires, motor... It's obvious they were hard on it because the new damage. I don't know if I would want the car back with all that repainting. I would definitely get some loss of value money from them. I don't think I would let that ship repair of their first paint job was that bad. I would take it somewhere else. Sorry to hear this, it's really horrible and should not be expected form a BMW dealer.
Do you think the cost of a lawyer would end up being worth it? I want her fixed, and the amount of damage done while they had it is unreal. The paint is literally bumpy!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #15
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Personal opinion but I would contact BMW NA and a lawyer as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #16
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02
Quote:
Quote:
Lawyer up.
Do you think the cost of a lawyer would end up being worth it? I want her fixed, and the amount of damage done while they had it is unreal. The paint is literally bumpy!
I would never want to buy the car after seeing these pics. They butt-effed your car and are trying to wash their hands clean.

This is a pretty substantial out of pocket for your dealer. I would imagine that they will try to push back and blame-game as much as they can and try to "split" the cost. Although I would talk to dealer first and demand an immediate resolution, I most certainly think that you need to lawyer up and show up at their door with him / her. Don't be like that other poster who refused to give up the name of the dealer even after he claimed he was mistreated. As someone said, social media is very powerful. Blast them on Twitter, FB and here. Link to BMW handle with link for before and after pictures. Put the fear of lawyer and bad publicity in them and all of a sudden that $5000 out of pocket repair bill for them will seem like a good deal.

I did that to Honda once. My parents had an accord within warranty which had a bad transmission. They reported to dealer several times but he never did anything. Just when car goes out of warranty, next oil change dealer says you need a new transmission. I was fucking pissed off. I called the dealer and he was a douchebag - Desimone Honda in Marlton, NJ. I called Honda USA and complained about this dealer. I then blasted them on social media and within a week I had a call from Honda to pay full money for new transmission plus installation.

I think most dealers are honest. But the ones who are scumbags need to be taught a lesson. Please don't hesitate to blast them.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #17
WJSM5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Well since everyone thinks I should announce the dealer it was Princeton BMW. I spoke to my SA, he said they will try to fix everything at next service. Told me to email him the list of things wrong. He insisted the car wasn't driven but I know it was I have proof. He then continued to tell me they weren't going to fix the rocker panel because it wasn't covered by insurance. Of course it was though because there was damage done to it. The manager and director are out until Monday. The dealer itself has always been good to me. I've bought multiple M5s from them and they have always been great on repairs but this one bottom line sucked! Apparently the work was done by an external painting company, I'm doubting it's the dealership now more the painters.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #18
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

They are lying already by insisting the car wasn't driven? They will try to fix everything, what the hell does that mean. I would not allow them to touch my car. Go somewhere else, get it fixed properly and lawyer up.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #19
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well since everyone thinks I should announce the dealer it was Princeton BMW. I spoke to my SA, he said they will try to fix everything at next service. Told me to email him the list of things wrong. He insisted the car wasn't driven but I know it was I have proof. He then continued to tell me they weren't going to fix the rocker panel because it wasn't covered by insurance. Of course it was though because there was damage done to it. The manager and director are out until Monday. The dealer itself has always been good to me. I've bought multiple M5s from them and they have always been great on repairs but this one bottom line sucked! Apparently the work was done by an external painting company, I'm doubting it's the dealership now more the painters.
Something seems off. The fact that the dealer is saying "try" and "won't fix" makes me very uncomfortable. Have you called your insurance company? Ask your adjuster to come visit you and show him the car. Your insurance company can probably sue the dealer.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #20
WJSM5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer
Quote:
Something seems off. The fact that the dealer is saying "try" and "won't fix" makes me very uncomfortable. Have you called your insurance company? Ask your adjuster to come visit you and show him the car. Your insurance company can probably sue the dealer.
Will do I will call my insurance company. I emailed my service advisor back. He emailed me asking to send me the issues and "we will try to get I all done". I agree "try" should not be used it should be we will fix. He then continued to ask me to not reflect this issue on the BMW survey. My SA has always been great and appears to be doing all he can. Maybe in just naive.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #21
Rborrow14
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSM5 View Post
Will do I will call my insurance company. I emailed my service advisor back. He emailed me asking to send me the issues and "we will try to get I all done". I agree "try" should not be used it should be we will fix. He then continued to ask me to not reflect this issue on the BMW survey. My SA has always been great and appears to be doing all he can. Maybe in just naive.

I know Princeton BMw also. Had mix reviews from them,
Call your insurance ask them for the estimate, should have a list of what they told the insurance what will be fix, and it should give you a break down of what the i surance paid and what was supposedly fix from the check they sent them.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #22
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer
Quote:
I would tell him that I'm extremely unhappy at their unprofessional behavior and the survey will reflect that unless they can fix it in next __ days. Do t fill the survey till then. Also call insurance and ask for detailed estimate and what was included in payments. I would then waive that paper in the SA's face. Someone at dealership went for a joyride / had a party in your car.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth

Last edited by E90potentialbuyer; 06-11-2015 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0