M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #1
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

M Performance Exhaust question

Guys, never thought I would be wanting this but... Thinking about getting MPE for '15 ZCP.

I have two rather dumb questions:
1) How loud is it relative to the stock ZCP exhaust?
Don't want anything too obnoxious, no louder than ZCP sound from cold start.
2) Is there really any performance difference or mainly just sound?

Two years ago I wasn't into exhausts or carbon fiber. Now I want more of each. Getting more and more sucked in! Thx
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe
Guys, never thought I would be wanting this but... Thinking about getting MPE for '15 ZCP.

I have two rather dumb questions:
1) How loud is it relative to the stock ZCP exhaust?
Don't want anything too obnoxious, no louder than ZCP sound from cold start.
2) Is there really any performance difference or mainly just sound?

Two years ago I wasn't into exhausts or carbon fiber. Now I want more of each. Getting more and more sucked in! Thx
It's not really louder, and the performance gain is negligible. But it is lighter and looks great, if you can swing it go for it, I have it on the M6 and the Akra version on my X5M.

Want real performance gains you will need downpipe and a tune. But it will be loud and seems like you don't want that....which is fine because that's how I wanted mine too.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

The cabin is so quiet where I can't hear the exhaust note especially with ASD disabled. So if you don't get anything louder and there is no performance gain, what's the point? Put that money towards more CF goodies where you can see it.

I like the noise of the comp pack exhaust with the windows down, but then you have to deal with the annoying brake squeal.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb
The cabin is so quiet where I can't hear the exhaust note especially with ASD disabled. So if you don't get anything louder and there is no performance gain, what's the point? Put that money towards more CF goodies where you can see it.

I like the noise of the comp pack exhaust with the windows down, but then you have to deal with the annoying brake squeal.
So if it's not louder and provides no performance benefit why do people but it?
Appreciate 1
Aus_M64.00
      01-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

This is why what I did is buy a customized Eisenmann from IND which accommodates M Performance tips. This allows me to have the louder sound of the Eisenmann with the sexy look of the M Performance Carbon tips. Plus the Eisenmann canisters look more OEM grade than the BMW ones (my service guy himself told me this when he had the car on a lift).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
I think most people buy it for a louder exhaust note and the looks. But you can also buy CF exhaust tips which look cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Ive read many conflicting posts about the ZCP set up... some hail it as the best thing with no need for mods and then there are the posts here. Any sound comparo clips (links) that we can see and hear? I know that my non ZCP F10 M5 had rather docile sound and I installed the Eisenmann Race.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the comments.
Funny, when I start up my car from a cold start it sounds perfect to slightly too loud for my taste but when the flap closes after about 20-25 seconds it sound ways too soft for my taste.
Has it been determined definitively if it's okay to wire those flaps open?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #9
HappyMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Quote:

Akra has a beautiful tone to it compared to eisenmen and others
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Ive read many conflicting posts about the ZCP set up... some hail it as the best thing with no need for mods and then there are the posts here. Any sound comparo clips (links) that we can see and hear? I know that my non ZCP F10 M5 had rather docile sound and I installed the Eisenmann Race.
True
But I not only had Non ZCP and ZCP but I also deleted Resinators on the non ZCP and then replaced mufflers with ZCP mufflers and finally Exhauste Meister and the gains were noticeable and real but nothing like the EEAL THING ZCP

I would rate
Non ZCP M5 4/10
Modded regular with Mufflers and resonators delete 5.5/10
ZCP 7/10 Hands down
And didn't need to worse valves open or use Exhauste Meister and notes hat valves are open most of the time
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #11
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Quote:

Well, one it is what the factory safety car uses, it is made of titanium, and it looks good.

But at the same time I can see why people don't want to go for it, there are other cheaper options around with more performance gains.

At this price point you buy it because you can, otherwise can't say it is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #12
///Mpower///
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55
Is there a huge difference in sound between the Eisenmann race and Sport? I want a little more noise, but don't want it to sound obnoxious.
'13 M5 - Singapore Gray, Black Ext. Napa, Dinan FF Exhaust, much more to follow.
'12 X5 M - Carbon blk, Cinnamon interior <retired>
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
Blkthght
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 CP Singapore Grey

Quote:
Thanks for the comments.
Funny, when I start up my car from a cold start it sounds perfect to slightly too loud for my taste but when the flap closes after about 20-25 seconds it sound ways too soft for my taste.
Has it been determined definitively if it's okay to wire those flaps open?
Based on the above, looks like we have the exact same tastes when it comes to exhaust sound....i.e. not too loud but not quiet. So I recommend this: www.exhaustmeister.com

Best $100 I have ever spent on a car. Remote valve control device that keeps the valves open or close at the drivers preference. Pure plug and play so the install was easy. Programmable to the car's home-link garage door opener buttons. And on a ZCP car...it sounds awesome. I showed it off to my service advisor who also owns an M5 and he had never heard of it. He said that before he brought me back my car from the 1200 mile run in service that he spent a few minutes opening and closing the valves and that he was really impressed.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #14
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Quote:
Here's some possible answers:
1) The MPE is a collaboration between BMW and Akrapovic. That and it comes with factory warranty which is a positive thing for some buyers.
2) For those who want to stay stock/OEM and are avoiding aftermarket, then this MPE is the best possible choice for them.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #15
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

It just sounds a little louder than stock but gains are not on exhauast it will be on tune n dp, but if you dont want the dp for now a good tune can put you still in good numbers!
No point on spending MPE if you are looming for gains.

Tune
Filters
You'll be set
Appreciate 0