M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

06-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

The metal wire $5 exhaust mode

I want to just tell everyone that you MUST, I repeat, you MUST do this mod. There is just so much difference between the regular exhaust and the one with flaps wired open, it's unbelievable. And just the fact that it only costs $5 (in fact, for me it cost $2) and 5-10 minutes of your time is ridiculous. Especially during start up and city cruising under 2000 rpm, the car takes an entirely different personality. Everytime I start it, it feels like a bomb exploded underneath!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful Driver
I want to just tell everyone that you MUST, I repeat, you MUST do this mod. There is just so much difference between the regular exhaust and the one with flaps wired open, it's unbelievable. And just the fact that it only costs $5 (in fact, for me it cost $2) and 5-10 minutes of your time is ridiculous. Especially during start up and city cruising under 2000 rpm, the car takes an entirely different personality. Everytime I start it, it feels like a bomb exploded underneath!
I could do the same thing for free tho. Thanks for the advice
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful Driver View Post
So give us a cold start video with and without the wiring? At least do one with the wire since I am sure we are all pretty familiar with the OEM cold start anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep

I have to remove the wire to give you a cold start video, which I can, but not this weekend as I don't have the time and I need the car, but I can definitely try doing it during weekday next week.

Doing this is extremely easy.

1. Make sure the car is completely off.
2. Do this when the car is cold as the exhaust will be extremely hot.
3. You can lift the car using race ramps or jack to make it easy to reach, but I didn't and it was fine.
4. Using your hand, manually move the metal stick that controls the flaps and hold the flaps open.
5. Take a piece of wood, or metal (I honestly used the back of a torque wrench) and stick it into the exhaust to keep the flaps open. This is so that you don't have to hold the flaps open with one hand and wire them with another, which would be hard to do.
6. Take a nice metal wire (I got mine from home depot, galvanized steel will do just fine, just make sure it's not the thinnest one) and a bolt cutters and move the wire above the metal control arm that controls the plates and back down. There are two wholes on the vacuum assembly that connects the flaps to the exhaust, one of them is smaller than the other. You basically insert the wire from one hole, move it above the metal control arm, and bend it back down and insert it to the other hole. Then simply either use pliers or your hand (the wire I used was extremely hard to do this with hand) and make both wires meet and start turning them. Do it as tight as you can as you don't want the wire or the flap to move as you hit rough road.

The entire mod took me less than 15 minutes for both exhausts combined.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Your late on this early mod son but I'm happy you thought enough of the team to bring it to the fold. Safe driving
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

This mod ended in a huge fight last time. Almost like the 21 year old thread...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
This mod ended in a huge fight last time. Almost like the 21 year old thread...
Why, what happened?
I got the Exhauste Meister and works nicely and control over valve is the best part of it from the HomeLink you can open valve!! Very nice at least 20% louder deeper !! What I am not sure of is whether this what competition package sound is like or there's more to the CP than just open valves!! Baffles delete?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Try driving with your back seats folded down. I left mine down for a few days after I had something back there and it sounded great.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Try driving with your back seats folded down. I left mine down for a few days after I had something back there and it sounded great.
Good idea I will make holes in my rear seats
hahahahah
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 02:02 AM   #10
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
hahahahah
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 03:22 AM   #11
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Soooma. Something tells me you just might do that and start a trend. He he.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Why, what happened?
I got the Exhauste Meister and works nicely and control over valve is the best part of it from the HomeLink you can open valve!! Very nice at least 20% louder deeper !! What I am not sure of is whether this what competition package sound is like or there's more to the CP than just open valves!! Baffles delete?
Sooma, competition package or regular exhaust, opening valves will make the exhaust louder and deeper. So if you have competition package, thats even better.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #13
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
I have to remove the wire to give you a cold start video, which I can, but not this weekend as I don't have the time and I need the car, but I can definitely try doing it during weekday next week.

Doing this is extremely easy.

1. Make sure the car is completely off.
2. Do this when the car is cold as the exhaust will be extremely hot.
3. You can lift the car using race ramps or jack to make it easy to reach, but I didn't and it was fine.
4. Using your hand, manually move the metal stick that controls the flaps and hold the flaps open.
5. Take a piece of wood, or metal (I honestly used the back of a torque wrench) and stick it into the exhaust to keep the flaps open. This is so that you don't have to hold the flaps open with one hand and wire them with another, which would be hard to do.
6. Take a nice metal wire (I got mine from home depot, galvanized steel will do just fine, just make sure it's not the thinnest one) and a bolt cutters and move the wire above the metal control arm that controls the plates and back down. There are two wholes on the vacuum assembly that connects the flaps to the exhaust, one of them is smaller than the other. You basically insert the wire from one hole, move it above the metal control arm, and bend it back down and insert it to the other hole. Then simply either use pliers or your hand (the wire I used was extremely hard to do this with hand) and make both wires meet and start turning them. Do it as tight as you can as you don't want the wire or the flap to move as you hit rough road.

The entire mod took me less than 15 minutes for both exhausts combined.

So I have a question, if the engineered AM exhausts incorporate the valve and BMW put the valve in, don't you think it might serve a useful purpose?

Anyway, there is only one valve, the other pipe is open. Here is a cutaway view of the OEM exhaust courtesy of IND.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Quote:
I did the $10K exhaust mod. LOL
      06-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
hahahahah
Just remove the rear seats to reduce weight.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
Careful Driver
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
So I have a question, if the engineered AM exhausts incorporate the valve and BMW put the valve in, don't you think it might serve a useful purpose?

Anyway, there is only one valve, the other pipe is open. Here is a cutaway view of the OEM exhaust courtesy of IND.

The valve is entirely for noise reduction. It does not impact the mileage and performance. Its a mechanical and pressure controlled valve.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #17
is300wrx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I attempted to do this just now and failed. For whatever reason,I couldn't locate the smaller of the two holes...

Couldn't find any wires at home depot so I used coat hanger btw
Appreciate 0