Closed Thread

03-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #45
///M5Canuck
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post
What you're hearing through the speakers is pre-recorded. You're not hearing the actual engine or exhaust. So if you get an aftermarket exhaust, you'll still hear the exact same thing through the speakers.

I would have no problem if they were feeding the actual engine/exhaust sound through the speakers from a microphone. Then if your engine or exhaust sound changed, you would hear it through the speakers. Evidently BMW tried locating microphones all over the engine/exhaust, but had major sound/feedback problems and couldn't get a reliable sound transfer. So they recorded an engine on a dyno, and this is what you hear. So, no matter what your car actually sounds like, regardless of exhaust or intake mods, you'll still hear exactly the same recording through the speakers.

The first mod (of many) I made on my E60 was to remove the resonator. Big difference in the sound inside and outside of the car. A lot of people will want to do exhaust mods on this car. They at least have to give people an easy way to turn this off without disabling the entire sound system.
Maybe reconsider putting a smile on the Mona Lisa then...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #46
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
IMOP it is completely irrelevant mdh.

I dont know how you can draw any conclusion if you havent driven it, been inside it, or heard it.

You are starting to sound like all other ranters at M5board who want to buried with their E60 M5. Seriously that car had a shit transmission, shit Idrive and shit mileage.

This small, minor, detail is nowhere near the deal breakers your car had that many people prob didnt get because of.

Give it a chance. Drive the car and then pass your judgement. I get a feeling though you already decided without any evidence.

If you'd read my posts, you'd see that I don't need to test drive the car to form an opinion. I also don't agree that the sound of a high performance car is a 'small, minor detail'. You've evidently got an opinion without ever driving the car as well.

You'd also see that I posted on this thread about the terrible E60 tranny, mileage, and the car was basically ugly. I agree the Idrive sucked as well. You'd also read that I think the F10 is the better car. I still loved my E60 though.

But unlike you and others, I don't get upset with people who bring up valid points on it's faults.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #47
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
The new M5 is certainly a great, maybe an epic car. Supercar acceleration, the most luxurious M5 ever, and beats the crap out of the E60 and most cars on the track. All this for around $100K.

Amazing.

But nothing is perfect, and for me, the big issue is Active Sound. I can understand this doesn't matter to a lot of people, and that's great. But who says you have to think every single thing about your car is great? Not me. My E60 M5 was the best car I've ever had - 130,000 miles worth. But the SMG sucked. Compared to the DCT in the M5 it was borderline consumer abuse.

I don't understand people talking about 'haters' complaining about Active Sound, and saying 'I love the engine sound'. Well, you're not hearing your engine sound. It's ok to not care, and that's probably the best reason to not worry about it. But the "I love the engine sound" is ridiculous. I love the new M5, but the Active Sound does suck, and like the SMG, maybe BMW will do something about it if there is enough noise (real) from enthusiasts.
I have driven the F10 M5 and I love the active sound. Inside the cabin it is the best sounding M5 made.

Just wait till you drive it. You will change your mind. I can't wait to get mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #48
///M5Canuck
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xDrive

Quote:
If you'd read my posts, you'd see that I don't need to test drive the car to form an opinion. I also don't agree that the sound of a high performance car is a 'small, minor detail'. You've evidently got an opinion without ever driving the car as well.

You'd also see that I posted on this thread about the terrible E60 tranny, mileage, and the car was basically ugly. I agree the Idrive sucked as well. You'd also read that I think the F10 is the better car. I still loved my E60 though.

But unlike you and others, I don't get upset with people who bring up valid points on it's faults.
It is actually just a very American thing to do; make an uninformed opinion. We do that in our daily lives, our politics, it is a poor way of operating. Experience it, then report back; but at this point you will get in and hate it no matter how it sounds; even though when you are driving in it, you really cannot even tell it exists; you only know about it because BMW sent out a press release.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #49
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M5Canuck View Post
It is actually just a very American thing to do; make an uninformed opinion. We do that in our daily lives, our politics, it is a poor way of operating. Experience it, then report back; but at this point you will get in and hate it no matter how it sounds; even though when you are driving in it, you really cannot even tell it exists; you only know about it because BMW sent out a press release.
yeah...I understand...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #50
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Alright, you've voiced your opinion on the matter, and several others (including F10 M5 owners) have voiced theirs disagreeing. Now it's time to move on before it's getting personal. Thanks.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread