07-21-2012, 02:50 AM   #23
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I live in a high rise and have an underground parking space in a walled off personal spot within the garage where I completely lose GPS signal, radio and cellular.

However with my Bel StiR+ and my 9500CI both lock onto the signal within about 2 minutes.

The custom installed ones can perform well as long as you mount the GPS antenna in a suitable place. My installer found a location with both good reception which is not visible.
Excellent info again Stealth.pilot. You're making me think seriously about the Bel StiR+ system with some kind of laser shifter (though not one as pricey as yours since you almost never encounter laser in the Metro New York area).

Do you find that the lack of a directional signal indicator ala the Valentine on the Bel to be a hindrance? I spend an awful lot of time in New York glued to 5 mph over the speed limit because my detector has signaled what looks like a positive contact somewhere, but I don't know if its in front or behind!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #24
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight
Quote:
I live in a high rise and have an underground parking space in a walled off personal spot within the garage where I completely lose GPS signal, radio and cellular.

However with my Bel StiR+ and my 9500CI both lock onto the signal within about 2 minutes.

The custom installed ones can perform well as long as you mount the GPS antenna in a suitable place. My installer found a location with both good reception which is not visible.
Excellent info again Stealth.pilot. You're making me think seriously about the Bel StiR+ system with some kind of laser shifter (though not one as pricey as yours since you almost never encounter laser in the Metro New York area).

Do you find that the lack of a directional signal indicator ala the Valentine on the Bel to be a hindrance? I spend an awful lot of time in New York glued to 5 mph over the speed limit because my detector has signaled what looks like a positive contact somewhere, but I don't know if its in front or behind!
The lack of arrows doesn't bother me because I tend to drive faster than law enforcement so the alerts are always in the front. And the Bel does have multiple bogey counters.

However I know it does bother some people. I have a friend who has both a Bel and a V1 running in parallel to give him the best of both worlds and both are integrated into his Corvette HUD. It's an awesome setup.

BTW -I wonder if your GPS connection issues are accentuated by the building density in manhattan. I remember even navigation units can take 5-10 mins to lock on in Manhattan.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #25
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
One other thing to note. valentine research's patent on arrows expired in April 2011, so we should expect new detectors with arrows on the market soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #26
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
One other thing to note. valentine research's patent on arrows expired in April 2011, so we should expect new detectors with arrows on the market soon.
Another thing I didn't know. Thanks stealth.pilot. Sounds like it might be a good idea to wait to make any decisions.
Appreciate 0