03-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #23
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Yeah so basically all you guys drive at night with the equivalent of sunglasses on.

Personally I'd rather put the lives of pedestrians and cyclists ahead of vanity. But to each his own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I've never gone darker than 70%. This isn't about risking vehicular collision. It's about pedestrians and cyclists.

You guys can say what you want, but it's hard to argue darker is safer. There is a reason there are more accidents at night.
That is why there is NV with Pedestrian detection LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #24
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
And I would suppose that any tinting store like Tintworld or the likes should be able to do the roof for me, right?

Thank you
R U serious with this question. Bro you scare me.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #25
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
R U serious with this question. Bro you scare me.
Why?
I am that not handy?
-
Yes sir....
Not much experience with such things...
I dont how to do myself and I was just making sure who does!

Sorry, disappointed -?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:07 PM   #26
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
Those are vinyl wraps on the roof. Tint installers don't usually do wraps.
      03-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #27
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle50 View Post
Those are vinyl wraps on the roof. Tint installers don't usually do wraps.
Who does then?
Not me - That I know
Body shops?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #28
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Just type in a search in yahoo for the area you live in and some companies will show up

Btw the majority of us will go to a professional for this install
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 12:47 AM   #29
ShainoF10M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Boom.
This is my AW/SO

CR50 on all windows and moonroof. CR70 on windshield.
That looks great! Especially with the background you chose.

BTW - a couple of comments on earlier posts:

1) I assume most people have been warned not to tint your moonroof. I'm told it traps heat when the moonroof (headliner) is closed on hot days and will cause the glass to shatter. I did not tint mine but you cannot tell.

2) I have not experienced any reduced sensitivity of my radar detector mounted next to my rear view. I can't say that I tested it scientifically with a control set, but it works great detecting and jamming radar/laser guns.

3)Tint looks much darker on our cars because of the pull-up mesh screens around the rear half of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #30
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShainoF10M5 View Post
That looks great! Especially with the background you chose.

BTW - a couple of comments on earlier posts:

1) I assume most people have been warned not to tint your moonroof. I'm told it traps heat when the moonroof (headliner) is closed on hot days and will cause the glass to shatter. I did not tint mine but you cannot tell.

2) I have not experienced any reduced sensitivity of my radar detector mounted next to my rear view. I can't say that I tested it scientifically with a control set, but it works great detecting and jamming radar/laser guns.

3)Tint looks much darker on our cars because of the pull-up mesh screens around the rear half of the car.
I can't think of any logical reason why this would be the case. The CR window film prevents heat buildup vs the regular glass without it. I am certain the heat beneath the moonroof is equal or more likely greater than if treated with film.

Is there some explanation I am missing?
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #31
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///SAL View Post
Thanks guys, 30-35 will be the range
Good choice. Make sure the tint is ceramic
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #32
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettt
Quote:
Thanks guys, 30-35 will be the range
Good choice. Make sure the tint is ceramic
Yes, thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 02:09 AM   #33
ShainoF10M5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
I can't think of any logical reason why this would be the case. The CR window film prevents heat buildup vs the regular glass without it. I am certain the heat beneath the moonroof is equal or more likely greater than if treated with film.

Is there some explanation I am missing?
I was told by my tinting pro that when solar rays penetrate the tinted moonroof window, they would normally be reflected back through the glass from the inside (or in case the roof liner is open, dispersed throughout the interior of the car).

When this glass is tinted, heat is absorbed, stored, and elevates from the closed roof liner. The rays ricochet back and forth like a laser with the net effect of elevating the heat instead of maintaining equilibrium from a non-tinted moonroof. In other words, the balance of energy release is just enough out of balance that heat increases dramatically - shattering the moonroof.

I think this is only a problem when your moonroof is tinted and the roof liner is in the closed position - the "hotbox" scenario. I didn't want to be wrong, so Si skipped it and it is impossible to notice.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #34
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShainoF10M5 View Post
I was told by my tinting pro that when solar rays penetrate the tinted moonroof window, they would normally be reflected back through the glass from the inside (or in case the roof liner is open, dispersed throughout the interior of the car).

When this glass is tinted, heat is absorbed, stored, and elevates from the closed roof liner. The rays ricochet back and forth like a laser with the net effect of elevating the heat instead of maintaining equilibrium from a non-tinted moonroof. In other words, the balance of energy release is just enough out of balance that heat increases dramatically - shattering the moonroof.

I think this is only a problem when your moonroof is tinted and the roof liner is in the closed position - the "hotbox" scenario. I didn't want to be wrong, so Si skipped it and it is impossible to notice.
Interesting... Do we know this to be fact? Or simply a theory? I have the pano roof of my X5 done DARK and I love it for venting the roof and not having the sun on me too strong.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #35
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
Interesting... Do we know this to be fact? Or simply a theory? I have the pano roof of my X5 done DARK and I love it for venting the roof and not having the sun on me too strong.
I would imagine what he is saying is true if you use a tint which a absorbs solar energy instead of reflecting it. A high quality tint, especially my favorite prestige photo sync! reflects most of the solar energy while letting the light through.

A cheap tint like 3M color stable reduces light by absorbing the light and Solar energy (this is what tints which reduce heat by only absorbing light do). Such a. Tint reduces heat in the cabin, but by absorbing not reflecting which increases probability of glass failure.

So if you want to reduce heat while not heating up the sunroof, you want a tint with high VLT and high TSER.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #36
ShainoF10M5
Private
United_States
Rep

The more I research this topic there doesn't seem to be a lot of conclusive studies one way or the other. Most do agree, however, that a dark tint on the moonroof is most likely to cause this problem, so go with a lighter tint if you choose to tint this piece.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #37
YianniM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
how do you guys tint your windsheild dont you have expection stickers stuck to the windshield? or is it just in certain states. I always wanted to tint my windshield but i would have to remove it annually to get a new sticker...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #38
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixta325
how do you guys tint your windsheild dont you have expection stickers stuck to the windshield? or is it just in certain states. I always wanted to tint my windshield but i would have to remove it annually to get a new sticker...
Tint it around! :
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #39
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

I live in NY State and when I had my car windows tinted, I just followed what the law in NY State prescribed -- side windows 30% dark (must allow 70% of the light). Although NY State allows any dark tint for the rear, I did mine also at 30%. I kept the Windshield with no tint; NY State law only allows the top 6 inch portion of the windshield to be tinted. My detailer used 3M Crystalline (I chose the tint that allows 70% light) which filters 95+% UV and 75% heat.
      03-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #40
bodonx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijahman
At night the car has decent level of privacy, during the day the light is allowed in the seat color is visible, more so with the sunroof open. But if you are looking for clear definition of seeing the seat color, I would go lighter than 50. Stealths suggestion I think would be perfect for you...

I used 3M Crystalline CR50 with CR90 on windshield CR50 on sunroof class

+1
On this

I have the exact color combo. I have 70% 3M on the winshield and 50% 3M in the rest.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #41
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixta325 View Post
Make sure your new car dealer hand you the sticker on delivery, and does not affix to the window. Head over to your local CVS or walgreens and pickup 8.5" x 11" clear window cling type material ... Can't remember the brand name. Stick your inspection sticker to the window cling material, and trim the window cling material to the exact size of the sticker with an exacto knife or scissors. Apply to the windshield. It is easily removable, and does not adhere to the window film.

I have been doing this for many years, and it works great! I also have a medical exemption for the NJ tint laws ... So I never worry about tinting the windshield because of these two things
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #42
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Tint it around! :
Absolutely not ... That must look like poo
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #43
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpusher84
Quote:
Tint it around! :
Absolutely not ... That must look like poo
Nooo come on!!! If the installer is a pro u cut it tight to the sticker!! It looks good if i find a pic ill post it
Appreciate 0