dallink
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI MCB on order 11/11

Weather conditions for launch control / wheel spin question

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi. Since I got the 1200 mile service done I've been pushing it harder, but have found that I'm getting massive wheel spin, for example just got huge lurch sideways before DSC kicked in when accelerating at 40 mph in second, same but less so in third. It is generally just wet everywhere here in uk though, although it's the same when the road doesn't look that bad.

Anyway, I've not tried it yet due to road conditions, but I'm wondering if launch control will ever work over here or just result in a mass of wheel spin, do you need really warm dry conditions and tyres?

It's not like I'm desperate to go mental, just would be good to try it as I've paid for it.....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallink View Post
Hi. Since I got the 1200 mile service done I've been pushing it harder, but have found that I'm getting massive wheel spin, for example just got huge lurch sideways before DSC kicked in when accelerating at 40 mph in second, same but less so in third. It is generally just wet everywhere here in uk though, although it's the same when the road doesn't look that bad.

Anyway, I've not tried it yet due to road conditions, but I'm wondering if launch control will ever work over here or just result in a mass of wheel spin, do you need really warm dry conditions and tyres?

It's not like I'm desperate to go mental, just would be good to try it as I've paid for it.....
My winter tyres help, but any damp roads and you can't drop full power without wheel spin. Wait ill summer.
      01-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I wouldn't use launch control until the weather is dryer.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Stiggly
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallink View Post

Welcome to the power I guess.

I am experiencing the same issues. I was giving her a spirited push the other day and was amazed by how often the traction light kept lighting my dash up.

I'm not concerned as it just reminds me of the power that lies beneath. It makes me smile as I know once the roads are warm and dry I will get an idea of what I really own.

As for the launch control then I doubt I would ever use it regardless of conditions. I had it in my E92 M3 which had DCT. I never used it but I could see where it would benefit when searching for a rapid start. In the M5 I imagine I would just pop her into M2 which in my car has most of the nannies switched off and S3.....just floor the pedal and wow.

Last edited by Stiggly; 01-04-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Just leave DSC on until the weather clears up. I barely get traction in this 60-70 degree weather down here in miami LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
GratefulM5
Living the Dream
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i Convertible, '19 X5

its been colder here in Dallas (teens to 50s) and today was finally near 70... I was able to put a lot more power down rolling on a highway on ramp in 2nd/3rd gears - car catapulted forward without any spin... These PSSs hate colder weather but as it warms up it's oh so nice. Can't wait until spring to get these tires sticky again!

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
dallink
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks everyone, will look forward to spring for several reasons now
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
dallink
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar
Just leave DSC on until the weather clears up. I barely get traction in this 60-70 degree weather down here in miami LOL.
I was in Miami last week, quite wet and windy, reminded me of home, albeit 3 times as hot
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
see the other thread were he totalled his car...
Appreciate 0