Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
F30 3-series has them too...

Too be honest I'd be a lot more interested in the M3/4 if the seating we're better. I don't really like the 3 series seating as much.
seats are different in the M3 and M4, I would be surprised if they are as comfortable as the M5 seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #24
Stiggly
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120 View Post
Don't run out and buy year 1. At least wait for the competition package in the m3/m4. Believe me you will regret it when you have just run out and bought the new M3 and 6 months later out comes the ZCP with 30 more hp and improved handling.
^^^^^^What he said
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #25
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
I really like the 6 speed manual in bmw's. That is one big reason I chose the m5, along with always loving m5's. I really hope bmw keeps the 6 speed manual as a option in the m5, and if they do not I will be happy in a m3/m4. The Dct is a great transmission, but for me it is boring and it's not all about being .2 seconds faster to 60 mph for me. Again it's not all about the numbers. Remember until the e60 smg, all M cars were only available with manual transmissions.
Yep you are correct, and they all had pull up hand brakes. Too much horse power vs the old world. Can't confirm when it will happen but it makes no sense to produce low volume sales just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #26
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yeah I'm not sure how the Full Leather interior in the F80/82 will turn out. If it will even be half as luxurious as the M5's, but I'm glad that the lower tiered M cars are starting to get the nice stuff. We'll have to wait and see.
The build sheet states it will have full Merino leather as an option. I bet the interior will be very nice. The E9x platform never offered full leather, only extended.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
The build sheet states it will have full Merino leather as an option. I bet the interior will be very nice. The E9x platform never offered full leather, only extended.
There was some interior video that showed the dash stitching etc. Will be a beautiful touch.
      10-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #28
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
if i can't hold my girl's hand while driving, i just lay it somewhere else.
Nice!

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #29
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Im in line for an M3 with ED...can't wait!! but still keeping the M5 and M6 Beasts
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #30
335ifanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: Revuelto, Urus Performante, X5

Just put a deposit down for the M4, I was also interested in the B&O sound system and the dealer told me that on launch they might offer this as a option. The other missing options don't really matter to me because there not really necessary and imo a waste of money. I have every possible option on my 7 and I probably use less than half of them.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #31
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

they better not put dinky 4 piston brakes in the rear... Hopefully will not need automatic bbk upgrade right out of the box!
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #32
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Again it's not all about the numbers. I test drove a Dct and a six speed manual. After driving the Dct I was not sold. After driving the 6 speed manual I was convinced. I have had two five series automatics before the m5 and while they are great cars, they are not exactly what I call attention grabing or engaging.The m3/m4 will always be available with manual transmissions largely because of the amount of tracking the cars receive.
I absolutely agree with you for once(: however builders only care a performance and 0 to 60. Look at how much we talk about speed here and everyone wants to go faster. The only point I'm making look at your very high end sports cars they are all DCT, and I no for a fact Porsche soon will be getting rid of all sticks. Sucks but clearly the path of performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #33
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Again it's not all about the numbers. I test drove a Dct and a six speed manual. After driving the Dct I was not sold. After driving the 6 speed manual I was convinced. I have had two five series automatics before the m5 and while they are great cars, they are not exactly what I call attention grabing or engaging.The m3/m4 will always be available with manual transmissions largely because of the amount of tracking the cars receive.
Not sure I follow your logic here. If it's (road course) track performance an owner is interested in, then the DCT is the obvious choice being both faster, safer and 'easier' to drive.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #34
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
if i can't hold my girl's hand while driving, i just lay it somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #35
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Again, it's boring ! Safer and easier is not M heritage. The Dct is not engaging for me at all, just a high end steptronic.
FTC, we clearly get the point and it's a interesting topic. I would say heritage equals change. Would you say honestly Ferrari and Porsche are not heritage?
Ferrari has no manuals, and Porsche will be soon, and the infamous GT3 has no manual, and the builder clearly stated this car was built for the track and a manual will slow it down. I get the manaul thing my 991S is a 7 speed manual which I love, and I will not track to it works for me. Also if you go to M school they have over 100M cars on property, and not one manual so where's the heritage? Just a change in times bro, and the more horse power you add the manual becomes more ineffective for what the car was built to do. Point taken you love yours which is great, but know the sales are declining for a reason even with Porsche 9 of 10 991 are PDK. Again not debating just stating the facts. Find me a manual 458 or McClaren?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #36
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

It will be a 6 speed for me.
      11-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #37
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

First dibs on your set-up Dave if you trade the M5 for the M4/3 The M3/4 is growing on me but the one thing I would miss is the space for the M5 over the M3.......
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #38
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Not only improved performance, but improved efficiency & reliability. Ftc understand where your coming from regarding feeling more at one with the car. I haven't driven manual for several years, and do sometimes miss the 'raw' driving experience, however, I don't miss going through clutches relatively quickly (at least in comparison to less powerful cars) and nor do I miss the heavy clutch pedal, stiff gearbox and cold start 'kangaroo' jumps (at least in the man e46 m). I was in the camp giving feedback that M cars needed to be easier to drive at low speeds (in the days when your only other option was 1st generation SMG).

Can't disagree more with your glorified steptronic comment, dual clutch gearboxes offer a better feel in manual shift mode than a torque converter (also vastly improved over previous gen) and they have come a long way in terms of low speed driving (parking speeds, etc) since the first gen VW DSGs. Agree with bimmer6; sign of the times and feedback from owners is telling manufacturers that you are in the minority.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #39
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftc120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Man my gut says you will be doing something else. I think if you look at the low volume sales on manuals they will go. Hell look at Porsche if you go to a dealer you see very little manuals. Mine is a 7 speed manual, and funny story they actuall sit on the lots as the PDK is favorable. I was at the Porsche dealer last week, and the head service guy said current GT3 owners are asking for a manual, and Porsche clearly said the goal was to make a faster car bottom line no manuals.

I see the M5 going the same direction at some point because of low volume, and it makes production less efficient. I would guess the bulk of M5 owners don't track the car, and like to creature comforts and the push of a button have a race car. I enjoy the manual in the 991, but a daily driver I would never want a manual just for comfort reasons, drinking a coffee, talking on the phone, and most imporatant holding that special someone's hand Now the 991 I tell her to freaking hold on. Look at all, Lambo, Ferrari so it's comming sooner than later as these cars have too much power for shifting which kills lap time. Good luck man.
I really like the 6 speed manual in bmw's. That is one big reason I chose the m5, along with always loving m5's. I really hope bmw keeps the 6 speed manual as a option in the m5, and if they do not I will be happy in a m3/m4. The Dct is a great transmission, but for me it is boring and it's not all about being .2 seconds faster to 60 mph for me. Again it's not all about the numbers. Remember until the e60 smg, all M cars were only available with manual transmissions.
Hate to break it to ya but this is the last m5 with a 6MT

If you require it for an m5 you better have one now or it will be no more.

I specifically bought this m5 in 6MT because I can't drive anything else well and it was the last year for the m5 that will have it

Confirmed by bmw engineering when released
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #40
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus
Not only improved performance, but improved efficiency & reliability. Ftc understand where your coming from regarding feeling more at one with the car. I haven't driven manual for several years, and do sometimes miss the 'raw' driving experience, however, I don't miss going through clutches relatively quickly (at least in comparison to less powerful cars) and nor do I miss the heavy clutch pedal, stiff gearbox and cold start 'kangaroo' jumps (at least in the man e46 m). I was in the camp giving feedback that M cars needed to be easier to drive at low speeds (in the days when your only other option was 1st generation SMG).

Can't disagree more with your glorified steptronic comment, dual clutch gearboxes offer a better feel in manual shift mode than a torque converter (also vastly improved over previous gen) and they have come a long way in terms of low speed driving (parking speeds, etc) since the first gen VW DSGs. Agree with bimmer6; sign of the times and feedback from owners is telling manufacturers that you are in the minority.
The m5 6MT is nothing of what you describe

There is no heavy pedal, there is no burning up of clutches, it is not jumpy if you know how to drive manual. It is very well put together especially with the throttle blip they intro'd
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #41
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
Quote:
I completely agree...

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #42
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post
The m5 6MT is nothing of what you describe

There is no heavy pedal, there is no burning up of clutches, it is not jumpy if you know how to drive manual. It is very well put together especially with the throttle blip they intro'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEOF40 FS M3 View Post
I completely agree...
the only reason i never bought 6 MT m3 is due the fact i had higher risk of accident, double clutching in every single corner with traction control OFF, driving manual before

so it is good there is no manual option for m5 in uk safer for me
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #43
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

sorry to break this to you lovers of 6mt in the M5, but if you really wanted to feel connected to your car, buying a 2.5 ton limousine was your first mistake.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #44
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

I don't understand why people are trying to convince one is better than the other and get emotional about it. Seriously. Especially so with the DCT guys saying "manuals die already DIE DIE! Honestly as if you guys have DCT manufacturers stocks in your portfolio? Or if DCT transmissions are compromised in designs due to a manual version of the car being around. Guys driving manuals say it's fun but dct guys rush in to say no its not, your slow, sucks in traffic, what's the point, assumptions like heavy clutch, etc. Weird. To each is own. Sheesh.
Appreciate 0