BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Cubicinches
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

M5 DCT - Lethargic Downshifts?

I'm trying to determine whether the tranny (or the software controlling it) in my 2013 M5 has a problem or whether I'm experiencing a normal condition.

I sometimes find that the tranny refuses to downshift when I pull the downshift paddle. This only happens going from 3rd to 2nd or from 2nd to 1st. I only notice it when I'm slowing at slow or moderate pace deceleration from 30 or 40 mph to a near stop (e.g. slowly to make a u-turn or to pull into a driveway). I'm often going 10 mph or 5 mph or even slower at the time, so it isn't an issue of the software preventing the engine from over-revving. This issue doesn't occur all the time but it occurs fairly regularly. And it seems to occur regardless of which shift mode (auto or manual) and shift aggression (i.e. number of shift "bars") I have the car set to. Usually I have to pull the lever two or even three times before it obeys my command.

Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

No. I would say take it to the dealer to have it checked.
      01-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
saflang
Private
Canada
Rep

Luckily never seen this issue, it's always been immediate for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
I feel as if I have noticed this before when I try to downshift at nearly the same time as when the dct is downshifting as well, hence y it happens when I slow down. I now downshift earlier when using it to decelerate.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

What model year and build is your M5?

While your car is off, depress the + and - paddles. Check to see if your down paddle is behaving differently than the up paddle. Pull them each very slowly (literally as slow as possible) and compare.

It could be a faulty paddle. One of mine is a bit off, I need to get it replaced. It could also be a software issue, however have not heard of any DCT S/W update for the M5. Let us know your build and model year.
      01-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #6
Cubicinches
Private
Rep

I guess I'll have the dealer check it next time I take it in for a service.

My car is a 2013 and was delivered in ~Jan 2013. Most of the time the downshift work fine, which is why I think it's a software issue and not a paddle issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 12:48 AM   #7
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicinches
I guess I'll have the dealer check it next time I take it in for a service.

My car is a 2013 and was delivered in ~Jan 2013. Most of the time the downshift work fine, which is why I think it's a software issue and not a paddle issue.
Most likely software. Which is interesting as it would be the first time anyone had posted this issue.

Is your clutch slipping when it happens (do revs go up abnormally when you shift under power)?

When one shifts at the same time as the computer (due to meeting rpm min requirement), there is a delay. So make sure it's not due to that.

I would bring it in to have it read out. Maybe there is a code. If not you should take a ride and duplicate the issue for them,
      01-23-2014, 04:25 AM   #8
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Have you done many many LCs? If it happens in only odd or even gears, it could mean one of the clutches is worn out. Could also be a problem with the software. Have never heard of this problem before. Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
No. I would say take it to the dealer to have it checked.
Never had this also, take it in, the M-DCT is the fastest shifting box out there.
      01-24-2014, 01:14 AM   #10
Cubicinches
Private
Rep

Any here I was actually expecting to get a lot of responses saying, "Mine does that, too. It's normal."

Shahano: What's "LC's"? Regardless, although it usually happens going from 2nd to 3rd, it also happens when I try to go from 3rd to 2nd/1st.

I don't think it's related to me downshifting at the same time as the computer. I say that because, if that were the case, then it would still drop a gear. It would just be occurring slower than I expected. What's I'm experiencing is that I pull back on the downshift paddle while decelerating and nothing happens. I then have to tug it one or two more times before it downshifts.

I appreciate all of your responses. The bad news is that my car isn't due for a service for another 3,500 miles and, based on my commute, that won't be for 4-6 months. I say "bad news" since that means none of you will get a satisfying answer from me. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #11
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
So I tried to recreate the issue I had last night. I know you said u don't think it's the system shifting bc nothing happens, but if I go to downshift to 3rd or 2nd, and the dct does it for me right before I can click the left paddle, nothing happens, which makes sense to me, bc my intention isn't to drop into 2nd or 1st. I paid attention last night and noticed the CPU dropped me from 4th to 3rd as I was about to click the left paddle. If I shift slightly earlier before the system does it, it never misses.

If you're concerned about the paddle, try using the shifter instead and see if it's the same issue.

LCs are Launch Controls, and I'm guessing you haven't. If it persists though, I wouldn't wait 3500 miles to bring it in.

Last edited by PatrickC23; 01-24-2014 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #12
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If you for example are in S and downshift at the same time the computer does (due to minimum rpm for current gear), your downshift will be cancelled to prevent a double downshift.

OP's issue is different as he described it. If it were a software issue, if would be the first reported of its kind on the forums.

Almost sounds like one of the clutch plates in his M5's DCT is not at proper spec.

This is how the gears (1-7 & R) are split up between the two clutches in the M-DCT.

Just a guess though. Difficult to say what the issue really is without checking the clutch.

There aren't any SIB's relating to this for the M5.
Attached Images

01-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #13
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
If you for example are in S and downshift at the same time the computer does (due to minimum rpm for current gear), your downshift will be cancelled to prevent a double downshift.

OP's issue is different as he described it. If it were a software issue, if would be the first reported of its kind on the forums.

Almost sounds like one of the clutch plates in his M5's DCT is not at proper spec.

This is how the gears (1-7 & R) are split up between the two clutches in the M-DCT.

Just a guess though. Difficult to say what the issue really is without checking the clutch.

There aren't any SIB's relating to this for the M5.
Agreed, i think he only mentioned the left paddle, so i definitely think he should see if he can replicate with the shifter. If not, then maybe its just the paddle.
      01-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #14
Cubicinches
Private
Rep

It was a good idea to have me attempt to replicate my issue using the shifter in the center console. I has the same lag as the paddle.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #15
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

I would take it to the dealer and try to show it to the technician in there and see what they think about it, and if it bothers you still and they dismiss it as normal, I wouldn't give up and get in touch with BMW NA,,,

I don't have this issue,
I rarely use paddle shifters, but when I did it was lightening fast for me up and down,,,
To the point of going down from 7 to 2 back to back like you order it and it does it because you said! Amazing transmission!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 07:08 AM   #16
Elliotdds
Private
Rep

Hi Cubic

This is interesting that you post this. I had EXACTLY the same issue on my 13 m5. I would come into a corner, try & downshift a gear or two, and nothing WOULD happen. So I would find myself sometimes having to "downshift" 2-3x to get into the next gear.

I have had previous M cars and never recall this problem. I seem to remember everything being fairly quick on the downshift.

I have since traded the car in, so I can't be of any more help other than to say, I feel your pain, and it was maddening when it would happen!

I am anxious to hear your results however.

Elliot
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #17
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I am almost positive one of your two clutch plates are out of spec causing the issue.

However, here is something you can try since your unable to bring your car in to the dealer for a while.

Our DCT transmissions are adaptive - they learn the drivers driving characteristics. The below is used on the M3's M-DCT to reset the adaptations. Might be worth a try to see if it works on the M5.

1) Unlock car, get in and insert key (don't put foot on brake).
2) Press 'Start' button once, but do not start engine.
3) Press accelerator pedal down to floor and hold for 25 secs.
4) Remove foot from accelerator and place on brake pedal. Start engine & drive car normally.
5) Over time, transmission will 'learn' your driving style and adapt to it.
      01-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #18
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
I am almost positive one of your two clutch plates are out of spec causing the issue.

However, here is something you can try since your unable to bring your car in to the dealer for a while.

Our DCT transmissions are adaptive - they learn the drivers driving characteristics. The below is used on the M3's M-DCT to reset the adaptations. Might be worth a try to see if it works on the M5.

4) Remove foot from accelerator and place on brake pedal. Start engine & drive car normally.
how many hints and tricks our cars have... crazy!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #19
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Also you can check to see if there are any stored error codes shown in the hidden dash menu.

Add up the last 7 numbers in your vin. That's your unlock code.

Hold down the ODO reset button until a menu appears. Short press until you get to unlock. Long press until the screen changes. Short press until your unlock code shows, then long press to select.

Short press until you get to the "Check" menu, then long press to select.

Post the No., CC-ID, KM, and Active values shown within that menu.

Then there might be more information to go on.

Try this before resetting the DCT adaptations.
      01-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #20
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng
Quote:

how many hints and tricks our cars have... crazy!
Not 100% sure if the DCT Reset works on the F10 M5, but I have a feeling it will as it worked on other models.

I know there is a lot..

Hidden iDrive Menu
Hidden Dash Menu
CBS Hidden Menu
DCT Adaptation Reset
Sunroof Motor Reinitialize
Side Window Reinitialize

Those are all that I know of.
      01-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #21
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Not 100% sure if the DCT Reset works on the F10 M5, but I have a feeling it will as it worked on other models.

I know there is a lot..

Hidden iDrive Menu
Hidden Dash Menu
CBS Hidden Menu
DCT Adaptation Reset
Side Window Reinitialize

What can be found in hidden iDrive menu and how can i access it?
thnx
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #22
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng
Quote:

I know there is a lot..

Hidden iDrive Menu
Hidden Dash Menu
CBS Hidden Menu
DCT Adaptation Reset
Side Window Reinitialize

What can be found in hidden iDrive menu and how can i access it?
thnx
- Press Menu and bring the iDrive cursor to the top.
- Push controller up for 10 seconds
- Turn Controller 3 Clicks Right
- Turn Controller 3 Clicks Left
- Turn Controller 1 Click Right
- Turn Controller 1 Click Left
- Turn Controller 1 Click Right
- Press Controller Down Once

If the last step (push controller down once) did not select the highlighted menu, then it worked.

Go to settings and you will now see a "Service Menu". You can see a few different values and settings within the service menu. GPS reception, Phone reception (xx/100), wheel sensors, navi versions, etc.