M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

Tire bubble issues like on the 550's AWD runflats?

I was wondering if the M5 will have similar tire issues as the 550 19 inch AWD runflats where when you hit a pothole you get a bubble in the side wall. If I were to get a 550 M Sport, I would probably get the tire insurance. Not something I would normally purchase when I buy a car, but with hearing stores of people replacing 7+ tires in under 3000 miles I would be afraid not to. So my question is will the 20 inch tires on the M5 be susceptible to a similar issue with bubble in the side wall due to road hazards and should tire insurance be something I should think about with a M5?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
I was wondering if the M5 will have similar tire issues as the 550 19 inch AWD runflats where when you hit a pothole you get a bubble in the side wall. If I were to get a 550 M Sport, I would probably get the tire insurance. Not something I would normally purchase when I buy a car, but with hearing stores of people replacing 7+ tires in under 3000 miles I would be afraid not to. So my question is will the 20 inch tires on the M5 be susceptible to a similar issue with bubble in the side wall due to road hazards and should tire insurance be something I should think about with a M5?
They wouldn't be the same run flats though. They come with the Michelin PSS tires - and Ive read rave reviews about them. I will not be opting for tire insurance, as the manufacturer warranty should at least cover them until you burn out the rears.
      05-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsc23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
They wouldn't be the same run flats though. They come with the Michelin PSS tires - and Ive read rave reviews about them. I will not be opting for tire insurance, as the manufacturer warranty should at least cover them until you burn out the rears.
Good point. And I no M5 owner here has reported any such problem with the PSS tires and some of them have thousands of miles already.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

No issues at all with the Michelin PSSs. They are a great tyre as far as I can tell.

And the ride in the M5 is better than the ride in my 535i M Sport, amazingly.
Appreciate 0