03-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Akili02
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 (soon replaced)

New guy with a few questions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Fist off let me say that I'm new to the forum. I have been lurking around for a bit and finally decided to make my first post. I'm coming from an E9x that gave me nothing but problems (comfort access).But I still loved the car when it worked right. The car was fully loaded but I found that the ZCP package never really got used on the car. It made the ride really harsh for UK roads. So the car was sold and now I'm number 1 on the list to get the first M5 (american spec) in the UK. The question I would like to ask the current owners is, is there any option that you find that you wish you had or that you didn't waste the money on? Also I posted a pic of the old E9x. I look forward to hearing the thoughts from you all, and thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Hi and welcome!

My car is fully optioned, but as I'm 3000 km into it here are a few things I find useless and that aren't worth the money I paid for them.

- Heated steering
- Lane departure warning
- Night vision (useful only when out of town, very expensive option)
- Rear entertainment screens with highest resolution (nobody ever used it yet)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Welcome! I have a 2008 e90 m3 that certainly has not given me problems like yours.

The ride is tough since the M3 is sprung for a sporty ride, I agree.

My order will have everything except the night vision and rear entertainment. I'jj be getting full merino.

To be honest, I hardly ever use my Nav. I live in the Prairies in Canada and really you'll never get lost...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
tugodumchik
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity
Hi and welcome!

My car is fully optioned, but as I'm 3000 km into it here are a few things I find useless and that aren't worth the money I paid for them.

- Heated steering
- Lane departure warning
My car is also fully optioned, and here in Moscow, heated steering is very useful, i knew that nobody will ever use the monitors at the back, but it's nice to look at them anyway)), i played for a while with the lane departure and now it's annoying, but the help with the lane changing is useful though, nightvision is a toy)), I could probably cive without the 2 front cameras, as they get dirty very quickly, maybe during summer they will be helpful
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Akili02
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 (soon replaced)

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
Hi and welcome!

- Heated steering
- Lane departure warning
Thanks a lot for the heads up. So I take it that most of you like the soft close doors and trunk feature?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugodumchik View Post
My car is also fully optioned, and here in Moscow, heated steering is very useful, i knew that nobody will ever use the monitors at the back, but it's nice to look at them anyway)), i played for a while with the lane departure and now it's annoying, but the help with the lane changing is useful though, nightvision is a toy)), I could probably cive without the 2 front cameras, as they get dirty very quickly, maybe during summer they will be helpful
About heated steering, I drove mine in transit -25 in Lithuania and I found it useless, steering wheel is so "freezing" to make the driver feel uncomfortable. The difference is if you need your steering wheel warm up 1 minute faster than normally. It's even more useless if the car is in a garage parking and people who pay for these extra options are more than likely to have a proper apartment and parking garage before buying the car. All-in-all I find it useless,

About left/right cameras - I find them most useful when parking against sidewalks, you can calculate every millimeter once you know the ratio of the yellow line. It's helpful when parking against a sidewalk straight ahead or diagonally. It could also be useful when there's a Panamera next to you and you want to check its rotor brake color to know if it's a Turbo or Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akili02 View Post
Thanks a lot for the heads up. So I take it that most of you like the soft close doors and trunk feature?
Soft close doors is a must, automatic trunk is useful too.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
tugodumchik
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akili02 View Post
Can't live without!!
Appreciate 0