Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

6MT clutch difference with sport/+ on

Anyone else notice a tightness in the clutch that comes in when sport or sport plus is enabled? I have to move my seat back about 1/2 inch to accommodate. It's almost like I forget how to drive the car is sport until all adjustments are remade.

Also, as I am sure it is for everyone else, if my seat is 1/16 of an inch too close the car doesn't drive right for me (my issue, clutch press difference). If I take my shoes off the seat has to be moved forward
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
PrimeTimeJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I haven't noticed that with mine. Overall, I feel that the clutch is light. It feels easier to drive than my E46 M3 that was also 6MT. Even my wife who has driven both commented that the F10 M5 is easier to drive.

I guess one solution for you might be to save your seat memory buttons to match your sitting preference for sport/sport+ and efficient.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply, its not really a tightness as much as its the car behaves more responsive, where I have to let it out further for the car to move vs it being in efficient mode. This causes me to have to move the seat back. Your suggestion of the dual seat button use is a great idea. I will have to dump the wife from button #2

I agree this clutch is soft all the way through, I had the previous m3 convertible and the clutch, as you said, was tighter
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post
Thanks for the reply, its not really a tightness as much as its the car behaves more responsive, where I have to let it out further for the car to move vs it being in efficient mode. This causes me to have to move the seat back. Your suggestion of the dual seat button use is a great idea. I will have to dump the wife from button #2

I agree this clutch is soft all the way through, I had the previous m3 convertible and the clutch, as you said, was tighter
This is what I was thinking.
      03-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I think it's more of a throttle interface you're experiencing. Generally when driving you would let out the clutch as you ease in the throttle. B/c you have more sensitive throttle, if you're letting the clutch out at the same position as in Normal mode, the interaction would feel different. It'll feel like you're letting the clutch out too late.

Just my thought as I have the same feature in my E90 M3.

IMO, the Sport and Sport+ is more useful for 6MT cars. For most E9X M3 6MT drivers, we only use the sport setting for spirited/quick downshifts. It takes less pedal travel to blip the throttle in this case, making rev match downshifts alot faster and easier. Give this a try for your car as well. You'll see what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I think it's more of a throttle interface you're experiencing. Generally when driving you would let out the clutch as you ease in the throttle. B/c you have more sensitive throttle, if you're letting the clutch out at the same position as in Normal mode, the interaction would feel different. It'll feel like you're letting the clutch out too late.

Just my thought as I have the same feature in my E90 M3.

IMO, the Sport and Sport+ is more useful for 6MT cars. For most E9X M3 6MT drivers, we only use the sport setting for spirited/quick downshifts. It takes less pedal travel to blip the throttle in this case, making rev match downshifts alot faster and easier. Give this a try for your car as well. You'll see what I'm talking about.
I agree with what you say and interesting yet simple - and makes perfect sense.. I will definitely try what you say. to be quite honest i hardly ever need to use sport/sport+, this damn car behaves any way i want it to in normal mode, i can make this bitch screeeeeeem in efficient mode, doing 90-95 in 3rd gear....

im not saying i dont like sport/sport plus or dont need it, but dammit this car is crazy even without it when you have the control over it with the 6MT.....

i did go pop the clutch and went backawards yesterday when i was screwing around on accident, but whatever, dont tell anyone
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

mdosu - is that cheech in your avitar? if so we are now friends.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post
I agree with what you say and interesting yet simple - and makes perfect sense.. I will definitely try what you say. to be quite honest i hardly ever need to use sport/sport+, this damn car behaves any way i want it to in normal mode, i can make this bitch screeeeeeem in efficient mode, doing 90-95 in 3rd gear....

im not saying i dont like sport/sport plus or dont need it, but dammit this car is crazy even without it when you have the control over it with the 6MT.....

i did go pop the clutch and went backawards yesterday when i was screwing around on accident, but whatever, dont tell anyone
yeah, I rarely use Sport or Sport +, it's just too sensitive for daily driving.

Again, just try Sport or Sport+ with rev-match & blip-throttle downshifts. Then try it on Normal mode, you'll see it's a bit harder to do it in normal mode b/c you need more pedal travel, and it slows the process down. The rpms also drop really quickly in my M3, so all that makes these blip-throttle downshifts harder to perfect in Normal mode.

BTW my avatar pic: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Shingadia.html
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

just read a review on the manual transmission m5 and I didn't know that there was an automatic downshift rev match similar to the Nissan 370 Z and that it's only turned off and sport plus mode.

So what I was talking about would only work in sport plus.

Generally, how do you like the feature? I would think it's pretty useful for daily driving, and makes driving alot easier.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

OP, fwiw, I was looking up something on the M3post section of this forum and recalled this thread regarding practicing smooth rev-match downshifts in a 6MT.

Although our engine and transmission are different, the concept of a high revving engine and high performance transmissions apply between our cars:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ght=6mt+launch

enjoy your 6MT. Likely, if I were in the position to buy the F10 M5, that's the one I would choose as well.
Appreciate 0