M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

12-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
///Mpower///
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

M5 F10 exhaust question...and warranty.

Hey all,

I know that most people poo poo Dinan, but are they still the only tuner that will not void the mfg warranty? I really don't want to own this car sans warranty, so any possible trade offs (unless they're major) will be worth the price of staying under factory warranty umbrella.

Thanks in advance for any info...
'13 M5 - Singapore Gray, Black Ext. Napa, Dinan FF Exhaust, much more to follow.
'12 X5 M - Carbon blk, Cinnamon interior <retired>
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mpower/// View Post
Hey all,

I know that most people poo poo Dinan, but are they still the only tuner that will not void the mfg warranty? I really don't want to own this car sans warranty, so any possible trade offs (unless they're major) will be worth the price of staying under factory warranty umbrella.

DINAN provides its own warranty...anytime you modify you are effecting your BMW warranty. It's hard to justify modding your car until you go down the road of making the modifications yourself and see the outcome. DINAN do not produce a product that will remove top speed limit or create significant upgrades in power versus getting your car tuned. It's a personal choice you have to make.
      12-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mpower/// View Post
Hey all,

You also have to understand, simply adding an modification doesn't make your warranty with BMW altogether void. They are legally not permitted to do that.

However, if the modification can be proven to have played a part in the failure you are claiming under warranty (like running a JB4 and upping the boost and the turbos fail), then BMW can deny warranty coverage on that specific part (i.e. the turbos), but can't void the entire warranty.

You gotta pay to play in the aftermarket performance game. If you don't want to risk it, keep it stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 10:30 PM   #4
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
You also have to understand, simply adding an modification doesn't make your warranty with BMW altogether void. They are legally not permitted to do that.

However, if the modification can be proven to have played a part in the failure you are claiming under warranty (like running a JB4 and upping the boost and the turbos fail), then BMW can deny warranty coverage on that specific part (i.e. the turbos), but can't void the entire warranty.

You gotta pay to play in the aftermarket performance game. If you don't want to risk it, keep it stock.
+1
      12-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
Msizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

like others have stated Dinan doesn't maintain your warranty they mirror it. Who knows how they pay though. I can't see anyone voiding any part or your warranty for an exhaust though
Appreciate 0