PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Opinions on mods

I've never been a heavy modder, usually just wheels and some changes to some trim pieces. Since I cant visualize what Id like to do, just hoping for some feedback and get some opinions, and yes I know, the decision is mine so Im just looking for some influence on an Alpine White/Sakhir F10.

Definite mods

Modulare B18 wheels in brushed matte titanium (already arrived)
IND gloss black front grills
IND side gills with gloss black surrounds, matte black inners and clear LEDs
IND Alpine White front reflectors
Black M License plate frame
55% Charcool Madico Tint (NJ is a no tint state so Im going light - have always had light tints)

Now onto my questions on potential mods -

I definitely want larger exhaust tips, not doing a full exhaust mod

1.) 90mm Dry Carbon Tips or SS tips?? (CYBA)
2.) M Performance Spoiler from IND with AW pinstripe - But question is if I go with dry carbon tips , do I go with a dry carbon M spoiler to keep the theme? Is there even such a thing? I believe I saw it offered from IND, perhaps with a matte clear coat? Andy/Nate?
3.) Door handle trim pieces - was thinking of just getting it wrapped. Do I wrap it in matte black vinyl, gloss black vinyl, a dry carbon vinyl, gloss carbon vinyl?

I have actually never been a big fan of CF, but its grown on me a lot with the contrast with Alpine White. For the record, if I chose a darker car, I probably would not black out as many trim pieces, I actually think the MCB and black cars look very nice with chrome, I just really dont like chrome with white.

Thx for any input

patrick
      04-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
I've never been a heavy modder, usually just wheels and some changes to some trim pieces. Since I cant visualize what Id like to do, just hoping for some feedback and get some opinions, and yes I know, the decision is mine so Im just looking for some influence on an Alpine White/Sakhir F10.

Definite mods

55% Charcool Madico Tint (NJ is a no tint state so Im going light - have always had light tints)

2.) M Performance Spoiler from IND with AW pinstripe - But question is if I go with dry carbon tips , do I go with a dry carbon M spoiler to keep the theme? Is there even such a thing? I believe I saw it offered from IND, perhaps with a matte clear coat? Andy/Nate?
3.) Door handle trim pieces - was thinking of just getting it wrapped. Do I wrap it in matte black vinyl, gloss black vinyl, a dry carbon vinyl, gloss carbon vinyl?

I have actually never been a big fan of CF, but its grown on me a lot with the contrast with Alpine White. For the record, if I chose a darker car, I probably would not black out as many trim pieces, I actually think the MCB and black cars look very nice with chrome, I just really dont like chrome with white.

Thx for any input

patrick
My opinion:

Agree with grills, reflectors, side gills, plate frame etc.

On tint - I would suggest Crystalline 70 or Prestige Photosync 75. I think these will deliver performance as good as the Madico b

Would skip the spoiler because it will look like a stick on body part due to the contrast. Looks cheap IMO.
Skip the door handle mod. You don't want that stripe to stand out. Chrome is barely visible on a white car. If you most mod it, have the handle painted fully white.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
baf3472
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 iX 12 M5 09 750li 00 M5

Quote:

Definite mods

Thx for any input

patrick
Im in the same boat as you. Never been a big modder, just a few subtle changes to make it mine. Ive done all the mods you have as definite except for the wheels. Ive looked at alot of wheels and to me, they nailed it 100% on the stock wheel. If I designed a custom rim for my car, it would look just like the factory wheel. I also added spacers and plan to lower with H&R springs. In the future, I may change the grey parts of the wheel to black (my car is saphire black) with a polished face. I also removed the door handle strips and had them painted gloss black to match the rest of the trim.
There was a post here a while ago about someone offering just the exhaust tips. Ill probably do those in stainless. Im also probably going to get a RKP front spoiler. If my car was white, I would probably wrap/paint the roof black. I love that look on white BMWs.
I just love everything about this car and there arent too many things I would do to it to make it perfect.
Good luck with yor mods.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
My opinion:

Agree with grills, reflectors, side gills, plate frame etc.

On tint - I would suggest Crystalline 70 or Prestige Photosync 75. I think these will deliver performance as good as the Madico b

Would skip the spoiler because it will look like a stick on body part due to the contrast. Looks cheap IMO.
Skip the door handle mod. You don't want that stripe to stand out. Chrome is barely visible on a white car. If you most mod it, have the handle painted fully white.
Thx Stealth -

I get what you're saying on the spoiler, but sometimes when I look at the rear of the M5, its just missing something a tad bit more aggressive for me. I want to keep the stock diffuser so spoiler seemed like the way to go. When I saw Coldlist's spoiler I was in love with it. Given its an OEM M piece and we already have a stick on spoiler stock, I personally didnt think it was cheap looking.

As for the handles, I might be in agreement there, the black might make it stick out even more.

As for tint, I hate to say it but I do it purely for a subtle change in looks. In the northeast you really dont get those super hot days when you need true protection from the sun, and my car is a garage queen since I take the ferry to Manhattan for work. I literally drive my car 3 miles a day to and from the gym then on weekends.
      04-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by baf3472 View Post
Im in the same boat as you. Never been a big modder, just a few subtle changes to make it mine. Ive done all the mods you have as definite except for the wheels. Ive looked at alot of wheels and to me, they nailed it 100% on the stock wheel. If I designed a custom rim for my car, it would look just like the factory wheel. I also added spacers and plan to lower with H&R springs. In the future, I may change the grey parts of the wheel to black (my car is saphire black) with a polished face. I also removed the door handle strips and had them painted gloss black to match the rest of the trim.
There was a post here a while ago about someone offering just the exhaust tips. Ill probably do those in stainless. Im also probably going to get a RKP front spoiler. If my car was white, I would probably wrap/paint the roof black. I love that look on white BMWs.
I just love everything about this car and there arent too many things I would do to it to make it perfect.
Good luck with yor mods.
Agree that the OEM 20s are one of the best OEM wheels out there and suit the M5 perfectly - reason I did not opt for them is I had to have the 19s for winter and like to differentiate from other M5s with my wheels. I went with B18s because felt they looked similar to an OEM style wheel but were aggressive looking. I love polished wheels with black windows, similar to the OEM 19s that came on the e46 M3, probably my all time favorite OEM wheel. I definitely think it would look good on Sapphire Black.

CYBA offers the tips now in black chrome, dry carbon, and stainless, I was just wondering which ones to buy from him for Alpine White, I agree SS would look best on your Black M5.

I went with a 10.5 inch rear wheel and the offset should push it out a bit more so no need for spacers here and I probably wont drop it given the bad roads here. Good luck in your modding as well.
      04-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
The spoiler with the IND pinstripe is money. Looks fantastic on a light colored car. The AW stripe will make it look stock, not add on. Go for it!
      04-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
The spoiler with the IND pinstripe is money. Looks fantastic on a light colored car. The AW stripe will make it look stock, not add on. Go for it!
You are a bad influence Rob. I just got to my in-laws and unpacked my B18s which I had shipped here, I can't believe I have to wait a month to get my M5 and put them on!
      04-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Hi Patrick,

my door handles are wrapped and i have %55 tint on my car.. u can check it out if you wanna make sure how it looks before u pull the trigger..

also all my chrome parts are blacked out by IND. u can check them out too..

addition to those, my diffuser and mirror caps are also blacked out. you might consider doing that too..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by koxal View Post
Hi Patrick,

my door handles are wrapped and i have %55 tint on my car.. u can check it out if you wanna make sure how it looks before u pull the trigger..

also all my chrome parts are blacked out by IND. u can check them out too..

addition to those, my diffuser and mirror caps are also blacked out. you might consider doing that too..
I think you were pulling out of Can Do as I was walking in Wednesday night, just missed you.

Where did you get your chrome handles wrapped?
      04-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I think you were pulling out of Can Do as I was walking in Wednesday night, just missed you.

Where did you get your chrome handles wrapped?
Sal AutoCouture had them wrapped.. Took about 20 mins. During that time, they also installed all the other parts I mentioned.... Since I dont have a personal garage here, it worked out well..

Lately I go to gym 6 days a week around 6 pm..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

I've done all you mentioned minus wheels. I'm still undecided on black M badge,drop and exhaust.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thx Stealth -

I get what you're saying on the spoiler, but sometimes when I look at the rear of the M5, its just missing something a tad bit more aggressive for me. I want to keep the stock diffuser so spoiler seemed like the way to go. When I saw Coldlist's spoiler I was in love with it. Given its an OEM M piece and we already have a stick on spoiler stock, I personally didnt think it was cheap looking.

As for the handles, I might be in agreement there, the black might make it stick out even more.

As for tint, I hate to say it but I do it purely for a subtle change in looks. In the northeast you really dont get those super hot days when you need true protection from the sun, and my car is a garage queen since I take the ferry to Manhattan for work. I literally drive my car 3 miles a day to and from the gym then on weekends.
In this case watch out for the impact of the tint on the color of the leather. The akhir looks different if the light coming in the window is no longer white.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #13
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

I'd pass on the door handles wrap
      04-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #14
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Your mod list looks great. I have carbon mirrors, bmw carbon spoiler, 15percent tint/ 50 on the windshield. Looks super aggressive on AW. And getting a RKP front lip to complete the front.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
Your mod list looks great. I have carbon mirrors, bmw carbon spoiler, 15percent tint/ 50 on the windshield. Looks super aggressive on AW. And getting a RKP front lip to complete the front.
You have the M performance spoiler? Pics?
      04-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
In this case watch out for the impact of the tint on the color of the leather. The akhir looks different if the light coming in the window is no longer white.
Good point, ill make sure to check out different shades before he applies it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

LMAO. I am in the same boat as you @PatrickC23. AW/SO, first car that I have modded. Here is what I have done:

- IND cosmetic kit, black gloss
- RKP 2x2 CF front lip
- BMW Performance 2x2 CF trunk spoiler
- Akrapovic Ti tips, and a set of CF tips
- 40% tint sides and back (Llumar Ceramic)
- H&R springs
- Macht Schell spacers
Soon to come: 21" wheels

I was thinking the CF would be a nice touch...it does look great. However, after being around all of the stock cars at M school this past week, I have to say that I am rethinking my decision about carbon fibre on AW. I think, and this is just my opinion, that the car has lost its executive sedan look and is trying to be too sporty, more M3. Not that this is a bad thing. The pictures of some of the CF cars are phenomenal.

For me, I will probably make some changes back to look more stock. Some pics to help you out. Sorry about the iPhone pics...that's all I have of the back!

Name:  _DSC6939.JPG
Views: 3826
Size:  439.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1702.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  565.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1708.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  545.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1746.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  480.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1761.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  448.5 KB
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
One thing I didn't share. I would skip upgraded tips and just get an exhaust. The Eisenmann Race 103mm axle back is the way to go IMO. You won't regret it. If you want more conservative get what I got.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]

This pic is amazing, and I get where youre coming from regarding the CF. Do you have clear bra at all?