BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-29-2015, 03:44 AM   #23
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

It's sure sad that anyone dies driving their car. But wasn't he and/or his friend driving like pricks on a public road.

How many innocent people are killed by people driving fast cars like knobs on regular roads.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #24
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
The GT was known to be dangerous and Rodas wife sued Porsche NA as the car was designed to require a racing fuel cell (so as not to catch fire, not fitted to vehicle).
Also there is speculation that the Porsches right rear wheel suspension was defective.
      04-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #25
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

werent they also doing about 90mph in a 45 zone.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #26
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
I think there is a difference between driving fast responsibly and driving like a mad man.. I agree speed must have been a contributing factor but the GT is known to be a dangerous road car...so the defective suspension could have caused Rodas to lose control.the fact that Porsche NA are being sued means that Rodas' family in this case was advised by experts that they had a case..IMO anyway..
      04-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #27
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Actually not that many people die by being hit by cars in 1st world countries nowadays. Places like Canada, Australia, United States, UK, and Europe are all pretty low. The number one place in the world where you have to worry about either dying in a car crash or dying because you were hit by a car is Indonesia. They have horrible to non-existent traffic laws which are rarely enforced and people basically drive on the sidewalks there. I think I saw a statistic that at least 3 people die every day from traffic related crashes or collisions in Indonesia. Almost not surprising considering the huge population that they have there.

In the case for Rodas, it was determined that the tires on the Carrera GT he was driving hadn't been changed in over 4 years but more likely 6 years. Porsche states in the manual for the Carrera GT that the tires must be changed at least every 4 years. Old tires contributed to the loss of traction that day when Rodas was driving but high speed also contributed. According to calculations based on some security cameras that caught the car driving on the street, based on time and distance, they estimates that the speed of the car going around the turn on that street was at least 96mph. These two things combined with the possibility that Rodas may have run over some sort of road safety markings protruding from the road surface lead to the loss of control in a relatively safe high performance car.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #28
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Did we even watch the same movie? I thought it was absolutely horrible. I was never a huge fan of F&F, but I thought 4-6 was decent. 7 was absolutely painful to watch.

And I'll be in the minority and say that the ending sucked too. I honestly it would have made a much better ending if Paul actually died in the movie, saving his family or something.

Instead he just drives off and the rest of the crew make it seem like his character actually died. Makes no sense. I can go on and on about why I hated the movie. Really, the only reason I went to watch it was because I wanted to see how the ended his character, and even that was a joke.

RIP PW though.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #29
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Did we even watch the same movie? I thought it was absolutely horrible. I was never a huge fan of F&F, but I thought 4-6 was decent. 7 was absolutely painful to watch.

And I'll be in the minority and say that the ending sucked too. I honestly it would have made a much better ending if Paul actually died in the movie, saving his family or something.

Instead he just drives off and the rest of the crew make it seem like his character actually died. Makes no sense. I can go on and on about why I hated the movie. Really, the only reason I went to watch it was because I wanted to see how the ended his character, and even that was a joke.

RIP PW though.
I will say that what you think has some credibility to it. The Fast and Furious movies were originally based off of street racing and there was only one real race in Furious 7 and it wasn't a street race. The rest of the movie was more of an action movie rather than a car movie. Despite its shortcomings, I think the producers and directors did the best they could given PW's absence and it ended up being more of a tribute to him rather than a cliff hanger at the end of the movie. Furious 8 will be out in 2017 and I have no idea where they are going to go with it, especially without PW. Besides you can't have the ending of the movie be something that depresses everyone, that's just not how the cast and crew of the FF movies wanted to end things. You are right 4-6 are very good but 7 was more of a closing up loose endings and a tribute than anything else. Maybe Jason Statham breaks out of prison in the next one. Lol!

(Also sorry for the spoilers)

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 05:56 PM   #30
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Actually not that many people die by being hit by cars in 1st world countries nowadays. Places like Canada, Australia, United States, UK, and Europe are all pretty low. The number one place in the world where you have to worry about either dying in a car crash or dying because you were hit by a car is Indonesia. They have horrible to non-existent traffic laws which are rarely enforced and people basically drive on the sidewalks there. I think I saw a statistic that at least 3 people die every day from traffic related crashes or collisions in Indonesia. Almost not surprising considering the huge population that they have there.

In the case for Rodas, it was determined that the tires on the Carrera GT he was driving hadn't been changed in over 4 years but more likely 6 years. Porsche states in the manual for the Carrera GT that the tires must be changed at least every 4 years. Old tires contributed to the loss of traction that day when Rodas was driving but high speed also contributed. According to calculations based on some security cameras that caught the car driving on the street, based on time and distance, they estimates that the speed of the car going around the turn on that street was at least 96mph. These two things combined with the possibility that Rodas may have run over some sort of road safety markings protruding from the road surface lead to the loss of control in a relatively safe high performance car.

Rodas wife obviously was given poor advice to sue Porsche. While I agree with your comments and don't really have the background knowledge you have to the accident clearly - didn't know about the tires being so old, I still stick my comments on the GT as not being particularly safe for the road as it was initially designed more for the track. My understanding of the situation is clearly not complete but I did find it interesting that Rodas' wife sued.
      04-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #31
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash21 View Post
It's sure sad that anyone dies driving their car. But wasn't he and/or his friend driving like pricks on a public road.

How many innocent people are killed by people driving fast cars like knobs on regular roads.
Sadly can be true
But sometimes our judgment gets clouded by our love for people
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #32
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan View Post
Rodas wife obviously was given poor advice to sue Porsche. While I agree with your comments and don't really have the background knowledge you have to the accident clearly - didn't know about the tires being so old, I still stick my comments on the GT as not being particularly safe for the road as it was initially designed more for the track. My understanding of the situation is clearly not complete but I did find it interesting that Rodas' wife sued.
She did it out of frustration!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #33
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

RIP PW though.
Aside from the valid point of not having street races but other than that absolutely a gorgeous movie
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #34
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I will say that what you think has some credibility to it. The Fast and Furious movies were originally based off of street racing and there was only one real race in Furious 7 and it wasn't a street race. The rest of the movie was more of an action movie rather than a car movie. Despite its shortcomings, I think the producers and directors did the best they could given PW's absence and it ended up being more of a tribute to him rather than a cliff hanger at the end of the movie. Furious 8 will be out in 2017 and I have no idea where they are going to go with it, especially without PW. Besides you can't have the ending of the movie be something that depresses everyone, that's just not how the cast and crew of the FF movies wanted to end things. You are right 4-6 are very good but 7 was more of a closing up loose endings and a tribute than anything else. Maybe Jason Statham breaks out of prison in the next one. Lol!

(Also sorry for the spoilers)
Ditto
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #35
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Ditto
Me too..sorry for chiming in..still have to watch the movie anyway..