M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #111
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Ok so here are the results from Wrsbmw Dinan M5 against my Rpi car from todays runs.

William has the Dinan Stg 2:
I have Rpi Dp and Rpi straight pipes. I did not have my Bms on.
We went from a roll 4th gear about 50/60mph. I pulled away. No comparision.
We went from a roll 3rd gear about 50/60mph. I pulled away. No comparision.
We went from a roll at high gear x40 Wrsbmw pulled away. No comparision.
On this run, to be fair, we need to do a proper run as this one was not. But I feel his car was faster on the top end regardless.

Now, next time we meet, I will have my Bms back on and I think the High speed run will be the opposite. For the money I thought the outcome would be different, but none the less, his car is fast on the top end. Now When Spinnys car returns, we both will have proper runs, then he will drive my car and me his and run again. This way it will be fair when we drive each others car on a run.

BTW, the carbon fibre dinan uses for his air filters looks fantastic.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #112
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Yeah but based on what happened today, I would have done better not buying the stuff under the hood and instead getting wheels, at least you could tell something had been done to the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #113
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

I'm thinking of getting Stage 1. Is the CAI really worth it. Does it add that much more power?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #114
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Lol. Naw you did good. We will be in better conditions next time. By then you'll have the dp so it will add more power. I'll tell you the secret. Rpi had little tiny feet in the engine compartment helping me out. Well c what happens when I out my bms back on also.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #115
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
I'm thinking of getting Stage 1. Is the CAI really worth it. Does it add that much more power?
My car got beat easily by a car with just down pipes, straight pipes and some metal scoops, you decide. Of course maybe the guys at BMW just messed up the install but I think not since the car is running fine, it's just not really much faster and what horsepower that was added is basically unusable thanks to BMW limiting the car on the top end.

The thing is here, it's not like I could get anything wrong since it's not a DIY type of mod. I paid a lot of money to get it installed on top of what I paid for the parts. So at this point I have to wonder if this is all you get or if there is more but I just didn't get it somehow.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #116
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
My car got beat easily by a car with just down pipes, straight pipes and some metal scoops, you decide. Of course maybe the guys at BMW just messed up the install but I think not since the car is running fine, it's just not really much faster and what horsepower that was added is basically unusable thanks to BMW limiting the car on the top end.

The thing is here, it's not like I could get anything wrong since it's not a DIY type of mod. I paid a lot of money to get it installed on top of what I paid for the parts. So at this point I have to wonder if this is all you get or if there is more but I just didn't get it somehow.
Assuming tune is greater than a few days old the piggyback had time to adapt.

I have the BMS tune (charcoal delete & BMC filters) and after a half day of hard 3 gear pull you could really feel the difference; fully adapted by day 2.

Did the Dinan tune produce the anticipated results with the butt dyno?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #117
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol. Naw you did good. We will be in better conditions next time. By then you'll have the dp so it will add more power. I'll tell you the secret. Rpi had little tiny feet in the engine compartment helping me out. Well c what happens when I out my bms back on also.
Interesting results guys thanks so much for posting. Looking forward to more head to head match ups.

Boots how much HP do your downpipes produce?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #118
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post
Assuming tune is greater than a few days old the piggyback had time to adapt.
It is and it has had plenty of miles to adapt. I drove to Houston 140 miles before boots and I ran. I also took it out to my spot outside Austin two weeks ago after I got it back from getting the CEL fixed.

Quote:
I have the BMS tune (charcoal delete & BMC filters) and after a half day of hard 3 gear pull you could really feel the difference; fully adapted by day 2.
I had them take the charcoal filters out when I had the exhaust put on in May. I couldn't tell any difference in power from either but I wasn't really expecting any. The sound is good and I think most people who hear it agree on that.

Quote:
Did the Dinan tune produce the anticipated results with the butt dyno?
No, it never has. The Stage 2 on my 535 was very noticeable but not this one. It could be that this one hasn't been done properly or if it takes time to kick in, I would think it has had enough by now.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #119
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Maybe you should Dyno and if you are not getting the promised Dinan gains they should look into it further.

Was the CEL issue unrelated? Can something else be going on that is affecting power?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #120
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe you should Dyno and if you are not getting the promised Dinan gains they should look into it further.

Was the CEL issue unrelated? Can something else be going on that is affecting power?
The CEL was fixed by closing the bottom of the airbox and I haven't had any issues since. The Dinan gains are not specific. I can believe there is more horsepower at the end of the powerband because I was able to beat boots from 140 but I already had momentum from coming up behind him. We were on a two lane road where we could see about two miles in front. I left him at 141 and the car quits pulling at 167. That's a lot to pay for being faster the last 25mph.

Moreover, everybody got to see boots get me twice from the lower speed roll, no contest, pretty sad for me. Keep in mind, I should have won them all because Boots didn't have his BMS.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #121
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The CEL was fixed by closing the bottom of the airbox and I haven't had any issues since. The Dinan gains are not specific. I can believe there is more horsepower at the end of the powerband because I was able to beat boots from 140 but I already had momentum from coming up behind him. We were on a two lane road where we could see about two miles in front. I left him at 141 and the car quits pulling at 167. That's a lot to pay for being faster the last 25mph.

Moreover, everybody got to see boots get me twice from the lower speed roll, no contest, pretty sad for me. Keep in mind, I should have won them all because Boots didn't have his BMS.
Wow. Not sure if you can do this but maybe try the same experiment vs a stock F10 M5 with or w/o comp pkg.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #122
MpowerMike
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 IB BMW M5

Dinan has never been good with there tunes but I do like there CAI's.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #123
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Interesting results guys thanks so much for posting. Looking forward to more head to head match ups.

Boots how much HP do your downpipes produce?
I was told aprox 50, but I hadn't been to dyno since putting on the straight pipes or dp since the mustang dyno I had used before broke. I can tell you this much, after putting on the Bms and letting it adapt, you can really feel the difference. It is worth the money. I will put mine back on in a few days when I get a chance. Rpi FTW!

Country run
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #124
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Ok so here are the results from Wrsbmw Dinan M5 against my Rpi car from todays runs.

William has the Dinan Stg 2:
I have Rpi Dp and Rpi straight pipes. I did not have my Bms on.
We went from a roll 4th gear about 50/60mph. I pulled away. No comparision.
We went from a roll 3rd gear about 50/60mph. I pulled away. No comparision.

We went from a roll at high gear x40 Wrsbmw pulled away. No comparision.
On this run, to be fair, we need to do a proper run as this one was not. But I feel his car was faster on the top end regardless.

Now, next time we meet, I will have my Bms back on and I think the High speed run will be the opposite. For the money I thought the outcome would be different, but none the less, his car is fast on the top end. Now When Spinnys car returns, we both will have proper runs, then he will drive my car and me his and run again. This way it will be fair when we drive each others car on a run.

You need to be in second LMAO I couldn't even beat the 335i that whipped my m4 in 3rd/4th gear+, now in second when I got my s* together I walked a faster one on e50 and meth and higher boost by 5cars+ stock.... If your if your doing 35-55 rolls 2nd 2nd 2nd you old guys I tell yah!

I think you guys should re run and he should pull just fine on you in 2nd [bms+dps you'll take it] ...

BUT SECOND GUYS this is the same reason the dude lost to a Hyundai lol
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #125
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was told aprox 50, but I hadn't been to dyno since putting on the straight pipes or dp since the mustang dyno I had used before broke. I can tell you this much, after putting on the Bms and letting it adapt, you can really feel the difference. It is worth the money. I will put mine back on in a few days when I get a chance. Rpi FTW!
Thanks

Is there a way to get around the CEL?

Is smell an issue?

Any problems with service?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #126
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Spend time in 2nd gear by manually selecting it... Thats your kill mode gear

stock vs. FBO tuned C5 that runs mid to low 11s

with 4 passengers all over 160lbs each vs. a 2 passenger c5 z06 weighing like 3500...

2nd gear bud
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #127
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Well, there was no way we could have started in 2nd. But since I didn't have my bms in my car, I'm satisfied with the results. If I had it in, the outcome would have been worse for the other car. Besides, pulling in diferent gears tells us a lot about whats going on. Old guys you say..... Bro, I'm 17 years old. LOL

Country run
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #128
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Thanks

Is there a way to get around the CEL?

Is smell an issue?

Any problems with service?

Your welcome..

Nope

No, but there is a hint every blue moon but only when you come to a red light. No concern actually

Nope. My SA knows whats on my car.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #129
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, there was no way we could have started in 2nd. But since I didn't have my bms in my car, I'm satisfied with the results. If I had it in, the outcome would have been worse for the other car. Besides, pulling in diferent gears tells us a lot about whats going on. Old guys you say..... Bro, I'm 17 years old. LOL
Why not if you were in the 50s thats 2nd gear [even high 50s you can short shift ], 3rd and 4th are for like mid to high 60s to 80+ ... And you should be with just exhaust and DPs

and i had no idea lol most of them are older
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #130
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

No, we choose to use those gears for that time and place. Not a problem for us at all. LOL, I'm not 17 Just wishful thinking.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #131
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, we choose to use those gears for that time and place. Not a problem for us at all. LOL, I'm not 17 Just wishful thinking.
I'm just pointing out they're the wrong gears for the car irregardless of "choice" for any race
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #132
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
You need to be in second LMAO I couldn't even beat the 335i that whipped my m4 in 3rd/4th gear+, now in second when I got my s* together I walked a faster one on e50 and meth and higher boost by 5cars+ stock.... If your if your doing 35-55 rolls 2nd 2nd 2nd you old guys I tell yah!

I think you guys should re run and he should pull just fine on you in 2nd [bms+dps you'll take it] ...

BUT SECOND GUYS this is the same reason the dude lost to a Hyundai lol
If we are both in the same gear in the same car what does it matter? Boots picked the speed and the gears. We will run again where there isn't traffic, that was a problem too.

Last edited by wrsbmw; 08-03-2014 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0