M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #133
M5TXGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 BlackSapphireMetallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post

BUT SECOND GUYS this is the same reason the dude lost to a Hyundai lol
Hey, I almost lost to the Hyundai......I learned my lesson.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #134
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
If we are both in the same gear in the same car what does it matter? Boots picked the speed and the gears.
Because you want the gears in the MEAT of the power band when racing, and youll need to be lower gear to have rpm high for more power, but again not too low which is where high 50s/60s is for the m5/m6. 35-55ish is where 2nd is best preferably 40mph

You can be in whatever gear you want racing anyways, as that has no bearing lol its the matching speed that matters... BUT I guarantee you if he's in 4th going 50mph and you're in 2nd you would have DESTROYED him... I would put any amount of money on it [unless you can't shift ]..

But for the love of god I beg you to go put your car in 2nd and then in the 3rd and 4th and feel the difference between them. 2nd will throw you in your seat, 4th will be meh, and 3rd will be in-between the two. You will instantly see what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #135
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5TXGuy View Post
Hey, I almost lost to the Hyundai......I learned my lesson.
You see the difference though right with second gear
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #136
M5TXGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 BlackSapphireMetallic

Quote:
You see the difference though right with second gear
Oh my, yes! Like I mentioned on that thread, the next day, after reading the posts instructing me to start in 2nd gear anywhere under 55, I went out and worked on just that. I was actually frightened the first couple of runs.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #137
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Because you want the gears in the MEAT of the power band when racing, and youll need to be lower gear to have rpm high for more power, but again not too low which is where high 50s/60s is for the m5/m6. 35-55ish is where 2nd is best preferably 40mph
You talk like we haven't ever driven the car.

Quote:
You can be in whatever gear you want racing anyways, as that has no bearing lol its the matching speed that matters... BUT I guarantee you if he's in 4th going 50mph and you're in 2nd you would have DESTROYED him... I would put any amount of money on it [unless you can't shift ]..
Uh yes I would have but I don't think that was the point.

Quote:
But for the love of god I beg you to go put your car in 2nd and then in the 3rd and 4th and feel the difference between them. 2nd will throw you in your seat, 4th will be meh, and 3rd will be in-between the two. You will instantly see what I'm talking about.
Again, you talk as though we only have a few miles on our cars. We re-ran from 55-60 in 3rd and that's the start of the meat for 3rd. He still won but there was traffic ahead so we really didn't finish the race as we were probably at 110 when we had to slow down.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #138
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You talk like we haven't ever driven the car.
I mean I haven't been in the car for 3k+ miles so I can't really remember exactly where I would stop using second and start using 3rd, but I swear it could hold 2nd till 60 lol but using 4th gear for anything under 70 seems ludicrous to me...

And the fact that your matching gears, I've only heard that from people who don't race often [no offense] you can be whatever gear you want as long as you honk of and are even... Whatever it takes to win
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #139
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I mean I haven't been in the car for 3k+ miles so I can't really remember exactly where I would stop using second and start using 3rd, but I swear it could hold 2nd till 60 lol but using 4th gear for anything under 70 seems ludicrous to me...
Not sure why boots picked 4th but it doesn't matter, his car picked up and my lugged.

Quote:
And the fact that your matching gears, I've only heard that from people who don't race often [no offense] you can be whatever gear you want as long as you honk of and are even... Whatever it takes to win
The point was to compare the cars head to head. If one guy drives dumb and the other drives smart it doesn't tell you much about the cars does it?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #140
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Wrs I am with you. I would be upset with those results. There should be a clear difference no matter what gear you start in.

The only variable is the driver really. When I get my car boots and I talked about swapping cars for a race to see what results that yields.
      08-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #141
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Wrs I am with you. I would be upset with those results. There should be a clear difference no matter what gear you start in.
Doesn't matter I was losing to 335i's I ended up beating by MULTIPLE car lengths because of wrong gear, it matters what gear the cars in

I mean and based off that old pic... 3rd gear 71mph is bottom end of 3. Where you start matters very much, hence my losses to 335i's and our other friends Hyundai loss.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #142
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post

The only variable is the driver really. When I get my car boots and I talked about swapping cars for a race to see what results that yields.
We should all go out to 2989 and run. There is also an excellent 1- 2 mile stretch on the service road of 45 where there are no logging roads intersecting and they paved it with cement. It's a very flat road. I need to drive over there for my 1/4 mile runs. It's perfectly flat and I got my 535 to 145 on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #143
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The point was to compare the cars head to head. If one guy drives dumb and the other drives smart it doesn't tell you much about the cars does it?
They'll never be head to head because you both have different mods the point is to see which one is faster when put in the correct position to utilize the mods the cars have yours and his were both not if you were ever trying to do 4th gear below 80mph lol

I'd still be disappointed the fact that you were catching him though means you might have something to work with to make you less disappointed.

You should run him in 2nd gear 40mph and have him start in 4th gear + BMS and I bet he'd be the one chasing you lol
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #144
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Doesn't matter I was losing to 335i's I ended up beating by MULTIPLE car lengths because of wrong gear, it matters what gear the cars in

I mean and based off that old pic... 3rd gear 71mph is bottom end of 3. Where you start matters very much, hence my losses to 335i's and our other friends Hyundai loss.
Based on running a lot of quarter miles using my Vbox, I can tell you that the car shifts to third right around 68 mph. That is using D3, MDM and Sport Plus gas setting. Thus, 55 to 60 is fine for both of us to start out in third. Why do you keep doing this though? It's our party, you are crashing it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #145
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Exactly. Same gear same car. We did fine for what we wanted.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #146
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Why do you keep doing this though? It's our party, you are crashing it.
lol I'm just pointing out why you dropped 10k and aren't seeing results if your racing in 4th gear or matching gears, or whatever happened lol, personally I just want you to say wow that was worth it, so I'm not crashing race in 7th for all I care lol you'd both lose doing weird s* like that [if you showed up where people race and asked to be in same gears you'd get laughed at is all] lmao.

BTW I'll let you be, sorry the dinan stuff doesn't sound like its panning out :/
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #147
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They'll never be head to head because you both have different mods the point is to see which one is faster when put in the correct position to utilize the mods the cars have yours and his were both not if you were ever trying to do 4th gear below 80mph lol

Quote:
I'd still be disappointed the fact that you were catching him though means you might have something to work with to make you less disappointed.
Maybe, but 100 hp should dust him no matter what gear.

Quote:

You should run him in 2nd gear 40mph and have him start in 4th gear + BMS and I bet he'd be the one chasing you lol
No doubt but I don't think he will want to do that.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #148
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
lol I'm just pointing out why you dropped 10k and aren't seeing results if your racing in 4th gear or matching gears, or whatever happened lol, personally I just want you to say wow that was worth it, so I'm not crashing race in 7th for all I care lol you'd both lose doing weird s* like that [if you showed up where people race and asked to be in same gears you'd get laughed at is all] lmao.

BTW I'll let you be, sorry the dinan stuff doesn't sound like its panning out :/
Dinan and BMW should be sorry, not me because if this doesn't get better, the second car in my garage will say 2014 991 TTS.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #149
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Dinan and BMW should be sorry, not me because if this doesn't get better, the second car in my garage will say 2014 991 TTS.
Whatever it may be, I apologize if you took my advice differently then it was intended... I'd call Scott at Dinan and give them hell, you should have some pull at this point like I did with all my mods on the 3er/m3.

At least with the tts you can get a cobb/ renntech flash tune
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #150
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:

I race my car all the time and I know how to drive it and what gear I want to use. We could have started in any gear at any speed we chose. It's not about what you wanted or thought we should have done. it was what we wanted to do and we are satisfied. Now let's not make this into something it's not intended to be ok. We had a great day if driving and just posted a friendly result.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #151
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
I race my car all the time and I know how to drive it and what gear I want to use.
Point taken just doesn't sound like it brah either way enjoy the Win
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #152
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

William. We both had a great time today and we know what happened and why. It doesn't matter what this guy Thinks or says. Remember this afternoon what I told you on the phone about clowns. Cha Ching!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #153
beemerbill
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 MCB

335iRlz, I think it was more to see what one car with Dinan stage 2 installed would do against a somewhat stock car of the same make/model. I think they were not intending to "race" to see who would win, but to see how the cars ran against each other using the same gear at the same starting speed. Yes, if one or the other wanted to WIN, then they would each choose what gear they felt was right for each person and have a race.

I could have it wrong. If so... sorry.

BB
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #154
beemerbill
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 MCB

wrsbmw,

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having with the Dinan setup. I would think that it would be quicker down lower in the power band. Thats where you drive most of the time. Its not very often you get a race that starts at x40... I have had the Dinan tune on my 550i and it was a beast.. welllll, not compared to my M5, but it was quick, and you could easily tell that the tune was working. I just installed the BMS tune today and are still adapting the car to it. Hopefully Dinan will find what the problem is and correct it quickly. They sure don't want this kind of discussion on a new product, so I think they will act quickly for you.

Good Luck
Bill
Appreciate 0