M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #155
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Guys I believe @335iRlz has good points and for me it doesn't matter if he is young and does not have much experience like you.... I still like this kid ... he looks educated

First of all your cars are not the same! @boots has some modifications and you never know how that mod changes the torque/power curve! Second, the results tell me the Dinan tuning has more power and torque (compare to stock) at high end and that's why they claim PEAK hp and torque!! the stock M5/M6 has a flat curve of torque between 1500-5750 RPM and then the maximum power happens between 6000-7000 RPM where the torque curve is falling. I guess Dinan changes this map and produce the PEAK torque that they claim at high RPM (somewhere between 5-6k ) and not everywhere like a flat curve between two points. when you are running 50-60 mph in 3rd or 4th gear, the maximum torque is not achieved yet because the RPM is far less than that peak point... Also to understand the maximum speed for each gear, here is the calculation link...

http://www.dragtimes.com/gear-ratio-...tton=Calculate

with 7200 RPM (redline) and gear ratio of 4.81/2.59/1.70/1.28 and Final drive ratio of 3.15 the maximum speed for the first 4 gears can be calculated:
The maximum speed for first gear is about 38 mph
The maximum speed for second gear is about 71 mph
The maximum speed for third gear is about 108 mph
The maximum speed for fourth gear is about 143 mph

As an example, at 50 mph the RPM will be around 5K (2nd gear), 3.4k (3rd gear), 2.5k (4th gear)... as you can see at 3rd or 4th gear the available torque/power are in the middle/low end while in 2nd gear they are close to high end and the maximum power (and torque) are almost there!
My point is the maximum power and torque that Dinan claims (if they claims correctly) are available somewhere specifically close to high end and not necessarily every point of power/torque curve has better performance than stock M5.
BTW, I'm happy you guys had a great day and enjoyed your run
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #156
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Guys I believe @335iRlz has good points and for me it doesn't matter if he is young and does not have much experience like you.... I still like this kid ... he looks educated

First of all your cars are not the same! @boots has some modifications and you never know how that mod changes the torque/power curve! Second, the results tell me the Dinan tuning has more power and torque (compare to stock) at high end and that's why they claim PEAK hp and torque!! the stock M5/M6 has a flat curve of torque between 1500-5750 RPM and then the maximum power happens between 6000-7000 RPM where the torque curve is falling. I guess Dinan changes this map and produce the PEAK torque that they claim at high RPM (somewhere between 5-6k ) and not everywhere like a flat curve between two points. when you are running 50-60 mph in 3rd or 4th gear, the maximum torque is not achieved yet because the RPM is far less than that peak point... Also to understand the maximum speed for each gear, here is the calculation link...

with 7200 RPM (redline) and gear ratio of 4.81/2.59/1.70/1.28 and Final drive ratio of 3.15 the maximum speed for the first 4 gears can be calculated:

As an example, at 50 mph the RPM will be around 5K (2nd gear), 3.4k (3rd gear), 2.5k (4th gear)... as you can see at 3rd or 4th gear the available torque/power are in the middle/low end while in 2nd gear they are close to high end and the maximum power (and torque) are almost there!
My point is the maximum power and torque that Dinan claims (if they claims correctly) are available somewhere specifically close to high end and not necessarily every point of power/torque curve has better performance than stock M5.
Yes, this is exactly the point I made earlier in the thread when I said their hp claim was not specific. It makes me faster for the last 25mph of the car's speed capacity, not what I want to pay $10k to achieve. We did however have a good time on the trip and we will meet again to try some different scenarios but I don't expect to come out on top if all the power is above 6500 in 4th/5th gear. It's too little too late in a race to 160.

I did look at the video of the start and my car sounds damn good out of the gate.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #157
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbill View Post
335iRlz, I think it was more to see what one car with Dinan stage 2 installed would do against a somewhat stock car of the same make/model. I think they were not intending to "race" to see who would win, but to see how the cars ran against each other using the same gear at the same starting speed. Yes, if one or the other wanted to WIN, then they would each choose what gear they felt was right for each person and have a race.

I could have it wrong. If so... sorry.

BB
Correct.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #158
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Yes, this is exactly the point I made earlier in the thread when I said their hp claim was not specific. It makes me faster for the last 25mph of the car's speed capacity, not what I want to pay $10k to achieve. We did however have a good time on the trip and we will meet again to try some different scenarios but I don't expect to come out on top if all the power is above 6500 in 4th/5th gear. It's too little too late in a race to 160.

I did look at the video of the start and my car sounds damn good out of the gate.
I see your point and I completely agree with you... it's not worth 10K to achieve 100 more hp and tq just close to redline!
If you guys meet each other again just try something like this and let us know how Dinan works since there is no dyno result available
starting at 30 mph in first gear and 50 mph in second gear and 80 mph in third gear...
I personally would appreciate you for reporting the results
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:10 AM   #159
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbill View Post
335iRlz, I think it was more to see what one car with Dinan stage 2 installed would do against a somewhat stock car of the same make/model. I think they were not intending to "race" to see who would win, but to see how the cars ran against each other using the same gear at the same starting speed. Yes, if one or the other wanted to WIN, then they would each choose what gear they felt was right for each person and have a race.

I could have it wrong. If so... sorry.

BB
You are correct in your statement.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:34 AM   #160
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

For the record: We just wanted to see how these cars pulled against each other in a specific gear and speed. Not a "race" if you will to see who could embarrass the other. We were testing. We both know where the sweet spots are in our cars and know how to drive them which needs no explanation. As mention earlier by wrsbmw, his car lugged while my car did not. Our results are not intended to downplay or bash Dinan products, but to point out today's specific tested result. By the way, I am proud to be one of the old cats at the tender age of 48. I was playing when I said I was 17. (Thank you m6-coupe ) The regulars here know who I am and what I represent. We will have much more results when spinny gets his car here and we test. After testing various ranges, we can race from the best gear/tq range, or from the dig. We will do this w/o bms and w/ bms installed.

Last edited by boots; 08-04-2014 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:45 AM   #161
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Wow guys

unexpected results!

I know dp's add a lot and rpi straight-pipes as well, but this is a joke, if you pay 10K for the looks under the bonnet and gains after 140mph...

now i feel very confident running against manhart m5 and some evolve tuned m5, when i get my bms. both guys claim they have over 700hp and manhart guy claims he has fastest in UK

i am hoping to prove him wrong, as he spent a lot of $$$ as well and car went to manhart (germany) at least 4-5 times already in past few months. looks like something wrong, but he only says they are adding more power every-time LOL!
he also has 5kGBP manhart bonnet, but i doubt it adds any power

will keep you posted

evolve one spitting flames like hell

have a look

http://instagram.com/p/q4aGXtrHby/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/rNPzUwLHTa/?modal=true

update:
called evolve and had following conversation:
-hello...
-hello
-wonder what sort of power upgrades do you offer for f10 m5?
-we offer ecu tune
-full reflash? or piggyback?
-full reflash, sir!
-so you have broken through the ecu and have full control of it?
-no sir, as you are aware nobody has managed to break the ecu and there is very limited amount of access we have

then it went on and on, maybe he doesnt know the difference between piggyback and ecu reflash, but all he told me is that it costs 1500gbp (not sure including or excluding VAT), no warranty provided and it brings the car to 620 BHP!!!! as we all know, stock m5 has close hp to that number, so i wonder what you are paying for and on top fo that they can get rid of CEL with lambda sensors

Last edited by mstmng; 08-04-2014 at 04:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 05:01 AM   #162
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:

I was just offering a suggestion, but they're race car drives so I was just clearly confused , ... Good results either way for the DP car, whatever gear they're in... Either way if Dinan is charging people that amount and its only top end that's pretty awful and amounts to a little more than NA type gains I saw on the m3 with a flash tune. BMS you felt it from 0-155.

I'm not sure how they'd change the curve since they have limited to no control like everyone else :/

I'd ask either one to find me videos on youtube where people were putting in the description "Both cars were in gear 2,3,4,5,6" lol it doesn't exist.

And even if this is for pure "testing" methods 4th gear isn't even the 1:1 for the car, 5th is . No way to ever justify being in 4th below 70 aside from "I wanna do it how I want" which is fine by me, as I said all along, use your car however makes you happy, I sure did and do. I don't care how much money I've blown on cars I'll always feel bad for myself or someone else when they spend their cash and barely notice anything, which it sounds like this is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Remember this afternoon what I told you on the phone about clowns. Cha Ching!
lol really guy...

Last edited by M5Rlz; 08-04-2014 at 05:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #163
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I see your point and I completely agree with you... it's not worth 10K to achieve 100 more hp and tq just close to redline!
If you guys meet each other again just try something like this and let us know how Dinan works since there is no dyno result available
starting at 30 mph in first gear and 50 mph in second gear and 80 mph in third gear...
To be fair, I love the sound of the exhaust so we can take $3500k off the sunk money. I also like the look of the CAI but not sure it adds anything so I don't know if I would spend $3k for looks under the hood. Lastly is the DTronics Stage 2 for $3750, that is the biggest question mark here. If someone else reported these results, I would be inclined to stick with the exhaust only and then trade the car for something faster out of the box.

I am not interested in DIYing a 6 figure car to make it go faster, so I don't want to do the BMS for that reason. I went with Dinan because I did get a lot of low end on the flash stage 2 for the 535 just a year and a half ago. I don't think I am going to get it on this car but if BMS does, then Dinan should be able to, but that may not be what they sought to achieve. However, I think I should have asked more questions before spending the money.

If I can get the top end limiter removed then this may still be a good combo but I won't win any roll races with it. Unless of course there is just something wrong and that hasn't been ruled out yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #164
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw
Quote:
To be fair, I love the sound of the exhaust so we can take $3500k off the sunk money. I also like the look of the CAI but not sure it adds anything so I don't know if I would spend $3k for looks under the hood. Lastly is the DTronics Stage 2 for $3750, that is the biggest question mark here. If someone else reported these results, I would be inclined to stick with the exhaust only and then trade the car for something faster out of the box.

I am not interested in DIYing a 6 figure car to make it go faster, so I don't want to do the BMS for that reason. I went with Dinan because I did get a lot of low end on the flash stage 2 for the 535 just a year and a half ago. I don't think I am going to get it on this car but if BMS does, then Dinan should be able to, but that may not be what they sought to achieve. However, I think I should have asked more questions before spending the money.

If I can get the top end limiter removed then this may still be a good combo but I won't win any roll races with it. Unless of course there is just something wrong and that hasn't been ruled out yet.
There was another post about m6 stage 1 I think loosing to stock m6. On phone otherwise I would post link. This would be second such complaint.
      08-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #165
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
I was just offering a suggestion...
I know ... and I know you were not intending to crash their party
Your points are valid
BTW, I met a kid driving M4 at stoplight last night and gave him a little lesson not to even bother himself to play with big monster S63tu
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #166
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
There was another post about m6 stage 1 I think loosing to stock m6. On phone otherwise I would post link. This would be second such complaint.
Found it here, sigh......
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #167
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I feel bad if some local dealer just talks buyers who won't go do their home work into this thing awful.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #168
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
looks like you will need to follow his route...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #169
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That is completely bad example and I believe they started the rolling at wrong gear too. This is the whole thread if you are interested to read
http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017599

Guys, don't get me wrong. I'm not here to defend the Dinan
FYI, My car is stock and I'm not gonna do any modification since I'm not a race car driver and I'm not gonna track my car and 600 HP is enough for me especially when the traction issue is already there . I also don't believe tuners unless I see some technical data if they provide (like the curve I explained) . To me putting that much stress (600+ tq) on a transmission that is rated to 516 ft-lb, is not good and that's why the other day I sent Dinan an email and asked them to explain how the car can handle it... no response so far
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #170
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

wow... looks like they need firefighter over there
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #171
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That is completely bad example and I believe they started the rolling at wrong gear too. This is the whole thread if you are interested to read
Yeah, I read the whole thing. I just encapsulated the important part but you can expand to the whole thread from the encapsulated version up in the right hand corner where the thread title is.

What the complainer did was only post a short snippet about exactly what happened and he didn't elaborate much later. What I got is that yeah, the son's car won but only by two cars and not until 145 or so. This is more or less my experience with boots but not all the way through the gears, we still need to do that one.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #172
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
For the record: We just wanted to see how these cars pulled against each other in a specific gear and speed. Not a "race" if you will to see who could embarrass the other. We were testing. We both know where the sweet spots are in our cars and know how to drive them which needs no explanation. As mention earlier by wrsbmw, his car lugged while my car did not. Our results are not intended to downplay or bash Dinan products, but to point out today's specific tested result. By the way, I am proud to be one of the old cats at the tender age of 48. I was playing when I said I was 17. (Thank you m6-coupe ) The regulars here know who I am and what I represent. We will have much more results when spinny gets his car here and we test. After testing various ranges, we can race from the best gear/tq range, or from the dig. We will do this w/o bms and w/ bms installed.
Thanks Boots please keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #173
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Here is something I found on the website that I don't think was there before
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #174
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
BTW, I met a kid driving M4 at stoplight last night and gave him a little lesson not to even bother himself to play with big monster S63tu

Anytime your ready unless you have cp package, dps, bms, then stay away
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #175
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post

Anytime your ready unless you have cp package, dps, bms, then stay away
kid, what the hell is this?
I'm old school guy what should i do with this windows????
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #176
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
kid, what the hell is this?
I'm old school guy what should i do with this windows????
Jb4 connected to the m4 logging tonight for Terry I'm kinda fast again YAY!!!
Appreciate 0