M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Official Travel Discussion

It's that time of the year. I figured people are always looking for suggestions on where to go, what to do , etc.. Many people have asked these questions frequently in this forum, so hopefully this will serve as dedicated thread to those planning on a vacation.

I'm deciding between taking a trip to the west coast, get on the PCH, spend a week discovering Cali for the first time, or taking it easy and doing Bahamas/ atlantis, but I'm open to anything.

So, where you guys headed?

Last edited by xtac; 06-25-2012 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
GarySL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Carrera 4S

No vacation plans, working today in Redwood National Park. Nice place to visit:

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Just got back from 2 weeks in Maui. It was our 4th time there. the place is paradise on earth. We're never happy getting on the return flight.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Just got back from Florianopolis Brazil. No place on earth has more nice ass to look at.

The world should be pissed off at the disproportionate amount of ass Brazil has. The UK should be livid cause they got like .0003% of the amount of ass that's in Brazil.
      06-25-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
ny176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340xi Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Just got back from 2 weeks in Maui. It was our 4th time there. the place is paradise on earth. We're never happy getting on the return flight.
Nice! Will be in Maui for 10 days in July. Staying in a condo in Kihei. Can't wait. Need a vacation badly and Maui was calling me to come back. My vacation starts when me and my snorkel gear hit the water.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
I was in Miami visiting family already this summer.

I'm also going to Maui with my family. Staying at the Grand Wailea Resort and Spa. Anyone ever been? I've been going every year for pretty much my whole life.

Other than that, I'm just basking in the LA awesomeness in between work until I need to go back to school in Baltimore this fall.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

South Florida, everyday is paradise. Other then this rain. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny176 View Post
Nice! Will be in Maui for 10 days in July. Staying in a condo in Kihei. Can't wait. Need a vacation badly and Maui was calling me to come back. My vacation starts when me and my snorkel gear hit the water.
We stayed at Maui Vista in Kihei. Its right across the street from Charlie Young Beach. A real nice beach highly rated. We did alot of snorkeling and some SCUBA. This year we did a site called The Cathedrals I. A short boat ride from Lahaina and its likely the coolest place I ever dove. Check it out on youtube. Have you snorkeled the crater yet? Thats a must do. Have fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Mallorca, Spain instead of Venice Italy...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by minigearhead View Post
Hamptons, italy, Israel in that order
Already did the hamptons since its close, kinda boring.
Italy next year. Never had the urge to visit israel.

Quote:
I'm saving hawaii for my honeymoon, definitely have to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Just got back from Florianopolis Brazil. No place on earth has more nice ass to look at.

The world should be pissed off at the disproportionate amount of ass Brazil has. The UK should be livid cause they got like .0003% of the amount of ass that's in Brazil.
Don't tell me =/ not like I don't know but I was hoping it might not be the case, the a$$ may cause me to move there lol. got any pics?

Besides the backs, is there any other reason to visit brazil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post

I'm also going to Maui with my family. Staying at the Grand Wailea Resort and Spa. Anyone ever been? I've been going every year for pretty much my whole life.

Other than that, I'm just basking in the LA awesomeness in between work until I need to go back to school in Baltimore this fall.
Looking into the cali trip a bit more, where do you think I should visit it looks like the highlight would be the PCH lol. What part of cali do you recommend for someones first visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
Naples! thats where I may go if I decide florida route, tired of miami/keywest/westpalm/ side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Mallorca, Spain instead of Venice Italy...
Barcelona is definitely on my list

I'm change the topic to just destinations, since summer is too specific

London would be out of the question during this time because of the games.
      06-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
ny176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post

Grand Wailea resort is PIMP. Can't afford to stay there but like going to there beach. Wish I could spend a day at there pool also.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
ny176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We stayed at Maui Vista in Kihei. Its right across the street from Charlie Young Beach. A real nice beach highly rated. We did alot of snorkeling and some SCUBA. This year we did a site called The Cathedrals I. A short boat ride from Lahaina and its likely the coolest place I ever dove. Check it out on youtube. Have you snorkeled the crater yet? Thats a must do. Have fun.
Ohh yes I know where Maui Vista is located. Stayed in a 2 story house up the street from that complex. This year I am staying at Kalama Terrace the next block over. Snorkeled molokini crater last year on an excursion and liked it a lot. One of my favorite places in honolua bay on the west side. Ever been? If not, its a must but you need to get there early cuz all the excursion boats come around 10am. Looking forward to that spot and then heading over to Maui brewing company for some of there coconut porter.IMO best beer in Maui. Man I can't wait. Just 6 more working days for me
Heard of the cathedrals reading Maui revealed. Wish I could scuba. I did enjoy paddle boarding last trip but had to come in like every 40 mins to re-lotion up. Didn't want to get a sunburn.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Grand Wailea resort is PIMP. Can't afford to stay there but like going to there beach. Wish I could spend a day at there pool also.
I love it there. Parents are paying though (family vacation). We stay in the Napua towers there for 10 nights. I basically grew up on Maui though - kinda like a summer thing for my family that's continued through high school and now my first year in college. But I'll most likely be vacationing without my parents next summer haha
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Antigua in April..Aruba in July...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Been to Antigua twice and quite liked it. In the Caribbean I've also been to St.Thomas, St.John, Dominica, and Turks & Caicos. Out of those I would highly suggest Turks & Caicos - more specifically almost any hotel on Grace Bay. It's the most pristine strip of powdery white sand I've ever seen.

Those who love Maui, have you spent time on other islands? I went to Kauai and Maui last year, hitting Kauai first... when we landed in Maui my wife literally cried the whole way to the hotel (the Four Seasons, no less) because she thought it was so ugly. After spending the week there, I also failed to really see the draw. It's very arid, extremely commercial, and really lacks the character that some of the other islands exude - not to mention the horrendous stench of the sugar plantation. The only tropical part (read: pretty part) of the island is the road to Hana and you can't really stay there - the rest of the island is just brown dirt. Even the Four Seasons is kind of a bust... they should spend less time telling me how great the Four Seasons is and more on proving it. They're almost as pompous as a BMW Sales Adviser. The snorkeling is out of this world but the rest of the island just didn't seem like it was worth the flight time. I can't suggest it to anyone with a straight face.

Kauai, on the other hand, is heaven on earth. I can't say enough great things about it.

I was also just in Italy a few weeks ago. I went to Bologna, Milan (skip it), Sirmione (gorgeous), Florence, Siena, Ferrara, and Venice while also stopping at Ducati, Ferrari (skip it and go to a dealership), and Lamborghini. Lambo was absolutely awesome. Worth the drive and every penny that they charge for the tour. Italy is really a special place. The food was great, the scenery was beautiful, and the people are incredible. I didn't encounter one impatient or unkind person as I traveled around. It's a must-go destination.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Yeah, we had a blast. Top notch service. All inclusive. We stayed at The Verandah. I wanna go back.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #17
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ohh yes I know where Maui Vista is located. Stayed in a 2 story house up the street from that complex. This year I am staying at Kalama Terrace the next block over. Snorkeled molokini crater last year on an excursion and liked it a lot. One of my favorite places in honolua bay on the west side. Ever been? If not, its a must but you need to get there early cuz all the excursion boats come around 10am. Looking forward to that spot and then heading over to Maui brewing company for some of there coconut porter.IMO best beer in Maui. Man I can't wait. Just 6 more working days for me
Heard of the cathedrals reading Maui revealed. Wish I could scuba. I did enjoy paddle boarding last trip but had to come in like every 40 mins to re-lotion up. Didn't want to get a sunburn.
Dove the crater last year and turtle town. Wanted to dive the crater back wall this visit but thats a very advanced dive and my brother just got certified last month and I wasnt confident taking him there so soon. Next time we're going to do it.
Maui Revealed has been our bible for a couple years now. My brother and his family moved there(Wailuku) 2 years ago. Normally we stay with him but this time there was a conflict with his MIL being there. We almost bought a place in Maui Vista because we liked it so thats where we rented the condo.
My brother got us drinking Longboard beers. They were good.
I got some burn there but was able to come home with some good color.
Try and get certified, its well worth it and easy to do.
Have a great time.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Been to Antigua twice and quite liked it. In the Caribbean I've also been to St.Thomas, St.John, Dominica, and Turks & Caicos. Out of those I would highly suggest Turks & Caicos - more specifically almost any hotel on Grace Bay. It's the most pristine strip of powdery white sand I've ever seen.

Those who love Maui, have you spent time on other islands? I went to Kauai and Maui last year, hitting Kauai first... when we landed in Maui my wife literally cried the whole way to the hotel (the Four Seasons, no less) because she thought it was so ugly. After spending the week there, I also failed to really see the draw. It's very arid, extremely commercial, and really lacks the character that some of the other islands exude - not to mention the horrendous stench of the sugar plantation. The only tropical part (read: pretty part) of the island is the road to Hana and you can't really stay there - the rest of the island is just brown dirt. Even the Four Seasons is kind of a bust... they should spend less time telling me how great the Four Seasons is and more on proving it. They're almost as pompous as a BMW Sales Adviser. The snorkeling is out of this world but the rest of the island just didn't seem like it was worth the flight time. I can't suggest it to anyone with a straight face.

Kauai, on the other hand, is heaven on earth. I can't say enough great things about it.

I was also just in Italy a few weeks ago. I went to Bologna, Milan (skip it), Sirmione (gorgeous), Florence, Siena, Ferrara, and Venice while also stopping at Ducati, Ferrari (skip it and go to a dealership), and Lamborghini. Lambo was absolutely awesome. Worth the drive and every penny that they charge for the tour. Italy is really a special place. The food was great, the scenery was beautiful, and the people are incredible. I didn't encounter one impatient or unkind person as I traveled around. It's a must-go destination.
I've been to the Big Island, Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Molokai.
Kauai is beautiful but not much more to do than look at wonderful scenery. Theres a reason why its picked as many a movies back drop. Its a nice island to take a helicopter ride(we did that, awesome!) and have a honeymoon or romantic couple of days. It gets boring there very quick though. I can only look at amazing foliage for so long. For me Maui offers so much more. Good nightlife, the port and town of Lahaina has alot to do and see and has a downtown with a Greenwich Village feel, Kihea with some of the best beaches in the world, Hana as you mentioned, Paia(hippy town) is a cool little place to hang out(Bought some cool stuff at Alice Coopers store there last week), Jaws- some of the biggest killer surfing waves on the planet, Haleakalā- the 10,000ft volcano has has be be on everyones list to see from the summit, amazing out of this world experience!, McKenna-home of stars like Clint Eastwood, Mick Fleetwood, Oprah and many others, a town with a Bevery Hill feel with great golf courses and eateries. Maui offers so much. Including the Ioa Valley, a couple miles from my brothers house. A Kauai like nirvana which averages about 400 inches of rain a year with amazing foliage, waterfalls and rivrs. Nothing arid here. Just gotta know where to go

Wife and I liked Kauai and the other islands but we are looking to Maui for a place to retire.
To each his own.

Last edited by NYC6; 06-25-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #19
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I've been to the Big Island, Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Molokai.

I lived in Hawaii and been to all of those places as well. I also climbed Mount Mauana Kea.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #20
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
I've been all over Hawaii. I was really young when I went to Kawaii, but my parents said it was beautiful but that they are too old for the more honeymoon like atmosphere.

I've pretty much been up and down all of maui. Stayed on both the Wailea side and lahaina/Ka'anapali side. Been to Hana and the crater.

I was also on Oahu visiting the set of Hawaii 5-O this winter (invited by one of the main actors who is a friend of the family) and I loved Oahu. Kinda like a mini LA with some island flavor.

My parents were in Italy and Israel earlier this year in the winter and spring and loved both places.

Last edited by SaMaster14; 06-25-2012 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
Going to the FountainBleu Party in a couple days, but will be in Miami Wednesday morning.
How bad is the rain? Hoping its gone by then
      06-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #22
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
I lived in Hawaii and been to all of those places as well. I also climbed Mount Mauana Kea.
Hats off to ya, thats a hell of a climb.
Appreciate 0