Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Bmanny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beamer

Steering Question

Today i did a U-turn for the first time and when i locked the wheel i got like a force feedback feeling from steering. The steering wheel didn't want to stay locked it swing back a little bit. Is this normal?

I only asked because i took my car in for the metallic wheel noise from front wheels. Went on test drive with shop foreman ad he said it maybe my stabilizer bar. But after leaving the car it turn out to be my brakes and calipers. Brake pads had some play in caliper. They did remove my sway bar and clean the bushings etc to try to find the noise. So i don't know if the force feed back is from that or that is normal?.First time locking the wheel like that moving over 3mph. Other than parking
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Tourbillon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmanny
Today i did a U-turn for the first time and when i locked the wheel i got like a force feedback feeling from steering. The steering wheel didn't want to stay locked it swing back a little bit. Is this normal?

I only asked because i took my car in for the metallic wheel noise from front wheels. Went on test drive with shop foreman ad he said it maybe my stabilizer bar. But after leaving the car it turn out to be my brakes and calipers. Brake pads had some play in caliper. They did remove my sway bar and clean the bushings etc to try to find the noise. So i don't know if the force feed back is from that or that is normal?.First time locking the wheel like that moving over 3mph. Other than parking
I've had that happen to me a few times as well. I guess it's normal?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmanny View Post

Normal
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

But also on any car it is not good to lock the wheels. Just back off a tad and your fine.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Bmanny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the responses everyone
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Yeah normal. And we are fortunate. If you lock the steering wheel on a Ferrari or Lamborghini it feels like the front wheels will fall off.

Anyone know exactly why this happens (mechanical reason)?
      06-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Bmanny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I never felt that feeling in my E60 M5
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

This is part of the power steering issue that some of the members are having with the F10. I am experiencing the same issues which sure feel like a hydraulic failure issue.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0