BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
Nhlsm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 f10 m5

Stupid issue with my car. Can't put in park

At this point i'm confused if I did it right to put my car in park - this stupid issue is driving me crazy.

Got my 2015 m5 in late April, and discovered this issue like 5-6 weeks later.

Normally I shut off my car in N and push up park twice, first to shut down the motor and second to shut off the technology, as dealer told me to. But one day I drive to grocery shop 4 minutes away from home, pulled into parking lot and shit - I won't get my car into P and lock it!!! I swear I spent at least 20 min in the parking lot trying to figure out what to do - tried put in reverse or d then shutdown the car, nope, both methods didn't work. So I ignored it and went to bank, another 3 min drive, and all of a sudden, normal parking procedure worked and I successfully put it in park.

Then things get much more annoying - this issue happens more often. The pattern I found is that - I will say, if I drive like, 5 min to some place, and park, more than likely - 30% and plus of chance I won't successfully park. Everytime I will drive like 10 more minitues, then I will put it in park as I wish.

Last night had the same issue, went out to drive it for 20 mins, got back home and put it in park, tried twice.

And tonight I went to several places, 20 mins drive between each place, had to park twice, and I failed twice. Arrived at home, tried the third time, nope, didn't park. Ignored it, left my car out for two hours, and drove it again for 20 mins, came back, parked it for the fourth time tonight, failed the fourth time.

Bringing my car to dealer tomorrow, hope they will fix it.

Sharing this just to know if any of you guys has encountered this before, if so, how did you solve it, and what caused it?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:01 AM   #2
chrisho68
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F10 M5

Maybe I'm misreading your description of how you put the car in park, but shutting the car down while in neutral will not engage "P" mode. Not sure I understand what you meant by "push up park twice."

My procedure:
1) Keep the car in gear, whether it's manual or automatic
2) Pull electronic parking brake
3) Hit the stop engine button
4) Car will automatically engage "P" mode

Shouldn't need to hit the stop engine button twice. It's fine to leave the electronics on. Once you leave the car and lock it, it will shut down all the electronics. You can also code the car to shut down all the electronics on door open if you prefer. Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 02:13 AM   #3
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5m / Alpine White

What I do matches the 2nd poster...

Leave it in D (or any gear).
Pull up parking brake.
WITH FOOT ON BRAKE hit the stop button.

It will always transition to park.

After this, hit the stop button one more time WITHOUT FOOT ON BRAKE to turn off AC, and leave the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 02:15 AM   #4
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisho68 View Post
Maybe I'm misreading your description of how you put the car in park, but shutting the car down while in neutral will not engage "P" mode. Not sure I understand what you meant by "push up park twice."

My procedure:

Shouldn't need to hit the stop engine button twice. It's fine to leave the electronics on. Once you leave the car and lock it, it will shut down all the electronics. You can also code the car to shut down all the electronics on door open if you prefer. Best of luck
The car will switch to park automatically from neutral with a double press. I would imagine this came as a software update that some people do not have.

Hope you get it sorted without it costing a fortune.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
Nhlsm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

My procedure:

bad expression but i always push start/stop button twice to completely shut down the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
Nhlsm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

My procedure:

Oh I thought I have to shut down the electronics to lock the car! I will try this after dealer taking care of it. thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
DL7
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I do what the sales advisor told me:

1. Put car in neutral.
2. Pull up parking brake.
3. Push start button once to turn off engine.
4. Push start button twice to turn off electronics.

The display will read P as soon as I press the start button the first or second time.

I have accidentally only presssed the start button once when I didn't depress the button enough the second time and the car would not lock-took me a second to figure out the electronics were still on and why the car wouldn't lock.

Last edited by DL7; 08-23-2018 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #8
Nhlsm
Enlisted Member
Rep

issued solved! dealer replaced my park lockout module and everything's good
Appreciate 1
Beast27358.00
      08-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhlsm View Post
issued solved! dealer replaced my park lockout module and everything's good
Glad you got her fixed!
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0