M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-02-2016, 07:13 AM   #1
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren MSO 570S, 18 Raptor

All --

All of us with an F10 M5 I'm sure have a shared frustration with the astounding amount of brake dust produced by the stock pads. Being very particular about my car's cleanliness, I'll admit that this drove me completely fucking batshit crazy. Every time I detailed my car, I would go for a drive the next day, then put my car in the garage and just stand there, in utter disbelief at the soot covering my wheels after just 20 to 30 miles of driving. I would rub my finger on the front wheel, look at the nice clean line I just created on the wheel window, then angrily gaze at my one black finger (to be clear, I have nothing against black fingers, only the ones that are black because of brake dust). I wanted to find the nearest living thing and kill it.

After reading many reviews on here about Carbotech, I decided that buying a set of these and getting them installed was clearly a better alternative to murder, so I did. Called Carbotech direct, had the pads in 2 days, and had them installed the next week.

Let me tell you... The results are nothing short of unbelievable. If someone had stood in front of me and told me these pads would reduce brake dust by 300-400% over stock yet maintain virtually identical stopping power, I would've slapped them in the face, said 'Good day' and walked away.

I did a full 48hr detail on my car 2 weeks ago. After 1.5 weeks of driving, rubbing my finger on the front wheels results in a barely noticable mark, and hardly any visible soot or blackness on my finger. It's unreal. I stopped for gas last night after the gym and just marvelled at how shiny and beautiful the 343M's looked under the BP's bright lighting.

My recommendation? Buy them. Buy them immediately. Every day you're home with your family instead of being locked in a padded room, you'll be thanking me and the other members on here that did the same.

Thanks for reading.
Brad
      03-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
apsuard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilb View Post
All --

All of us with an F10 M5 I'm sure have a shared frustration with the astounding amount of brake dust produced by the stock pads. Being very particular about my car's cleanliness, I'll admit that this drove me completely fucking batshit crazy. Every time I detailed my car, I would go for a drive the next day, then put my car in the garage and just stand there, in utter disbelief at the soot covering my wheels after just 20 to 30 miles of driving. I would rub my finger on the front wheel, look at the nice clean line I just created on the wheel window, then angrily gaze at my one black finger (to be clear, I have nothing against black fingers, only the ones that are black because of brake dust). I wanted to find the nearest living thing and kill it.

After reading many reviews on here about Carbotech, I decided that buying a set of these and getting them installed was clearly a better alternative to murder, so I did. Called Carbotech direct, had the pads in 2 days, and had them installed the next week.

Let me tell you... The results are nothing short of unbelievable. If someone had stood in front of me and told me these pads would reduce brake dust by 300-400% over stock yet maintain virtually identical stopping power, I would've slapped them in the face, said 'Good day' and walked away.

I did a full 48hr detail on my car 2 weeks ago. After 1.5 weeks of driving, rubbing my finger on the front wheels results in a barely noticable mark, and hardly any visible soot or blackness on my finger. It's unreal. I stopped for gas last night after the gym and just marvelled at how shiny and beautiful the 343M's looked under the BP's bright lighting.

My recommendation? Buy them. Buy them immediately. Every day you're home with your family instead of being locked in a padded room, you'll be thanking me and the other members on here that did the same.

Thanks for reading.
Brad
Great feedback. I might have to give them a try. I hate all the brake dust on my HRE's.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

I'll be honest, brake dust is a distant second issue compared to the squeal. Have you noticed a difference in the brake squeal?
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb
I'll be honest, brake dust is a distant second issue compared to the squeal. Have you noticed a difference in the brake squeal?
It squealed the first few weeks but it was expected until the stock material wore off of the rotors. I haven't heard any noise out of them in 3 weeks since then.
      03-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
Bottch77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition, McLaren 12C

Evilb, I feel the same way about the brake dust on the oem pads. I hate it!

Can I ask where you purchased the Carbotech 1521 pads and how much you paid? Did you go to ind for them?

Thanks. Pm if you prefer.

Quote:
All --

Thanks for reading.
Brad
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
combatbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 20' X3M CP

Garage List
Quote:
It squealed the first few weeks but it was expected until the stock material wore off of the rotors. I haven't heard any noise out of them in 3 weeks since then.
Evil keep us posted in a few more weeks I'd be curious if they start squealing.
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:49 PM   #7
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottch77
Evilb, I feel the same way about the brake dust on the oem pads. I hate it!

Can I ask where you purchased the Carbotech 1521 pads and how much you paid? Did you go to ind for them?

Thanks. Pm if you prefer.

Quote:
All --

Thanks for reading.
Brad
I bought direct. Carbotech will give you a BMWCCA discount if you mention the forums.
      03-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #8
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Thank you for this info. I hate that matte dark bronze look of my black 343m from brake dust. I'm also interested if the squealing comes back....keep us updated. Also did you bed the brakes afterwards?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #9
MpowerMike
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 IB BMW M5

Placing an order for these soon with SS brake brake lines , they come front and back right?
Appreciate 0