M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-13-2016, 04:40 AM   #1
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

new to me 2012 m5

Just about to get a new to me black on grey'ish 2012 m5.
I'm picking the car up on friday.

So far I've got a JB4 + BCM in the mail.

I was thinking of going with meth and clutch packs and then running 94 octane fuel in it (It's Canadian 94, which some say is like 91ACN, which is absolute piss)

Either way.

Should I go dodson or ssp for my clutches, SSP seems to have more of a web presence than dodson, plus ssp seems willing to give out instructions.

I have competent indy techs, but no prior experience with this tranny, or rebuilding trannys in general. Is sending it out to a transmission specialty shop a better idea?

I plan on maybe doing stage 2 turbos, so the ssp type R's look good. I don't think I need the X's just yet. I don't plan on forging the internals. Either way, with running 50-99% meth, I'll need clutches regardless.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats!!

Post pics

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

The Spec-R clutch is by the most popular. If you decide to go with our products, we will give you all the customer support you need. We also offer free clutch installation if you send your clutch basket to us.

You can email me personally at kris@sspperformance.com if you have any direct questions.

SSP
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
Eddybro
Captain
Rep
Drives: Melbourne e90 and SG e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Hoser

I was thinking of going with meth and clutch packs and then running 94 octane fuel in it (It's Canadian 94, which some say is like 91ACN, which is absolute piss)

Either way.

Should I go dodson or ssp for my clutches, SSP seems to have more of a web presence than dodson, plus ssp seems willing to give out instructions.

I have competent indy techs, but no prior experience with this tranny, or rebuilding trannys in general. Is sending it out to a transmission specialty shop a better idea?

I plan on maybe doing stage 2 turbos, so the ssp type R's look good. I don't think I need the X's just yet. I don't plan on forging the internals. Either way, with running 50-99% meth, I'll need clutches regardless.
Go with SSP, Ask all allmotor_2000
He ran em.
      10-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Hoser View Post

Either way.

I don't think the Husky 94 or PetroCanada 94 is bad. It is what I use and others with high HP F/I.

The Husky 94 has 15% Ethanol.

My BPM tune is for 94 Octane, so hopefully next spring I can log it to see if there is any knock. The one time I took the car to the track with this tune I threw in a can of Torco on a half tank so like 103 Octane, so who knows.

Where in Canada are you? I am going to do Stage II Turbos next spring. Car is packed away till spring

Last edited by Northern X5M; 10-17-2016 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M View Post
I don't think the Husky 94 or PetroCanada 94 is bad. It is what I use and others with high HP F/I.

The Husky 94 has 15% Ethanol.

My BPM tune is for 94 Octane, so hopefully next spring I can log it to see if there is any knock. The one time I took the car to the track with this tune I threw in a can of Torco on a half tank so like 103 Octane, so who knows.

Where in Canada are you? I am going to do Stage II Turbos next spring. Car is packed away till spring
I'm in Northern Alberta.

Got my JB4 installed yesterday. spins the wheels in 1-2-3, but I am on winter tires with studs in them, so that doesn't help traction any. I might have to put it to map 0 (disabled) for winter to save my studs.

My amp harness is in the mail, should be here tomorrow.

Still need to go in and do the boost control module.

Thanks to everyone at BMS for getting my order out the door quickly.

Couple issues, A couple push pins on the trim up the left hand side (the giant piece we had to remove to get the JB4 into a safe spot) was annoying, even with a proper tool.

We found breaking the air boxes down into halfs was a little easier to manage than trying to do the whole box at once. I managed to break the locking pin on the passenger side maf, but my mechanic said it wasn't my fault, I shouldn't have been able to pull the locking pin right out just by barely trying. Oh well, it fits pretty snugly without it.

I can't wait to get meth going. Going to go with a BMS kit. They offer the charge pipes with meth bungs, and a dual nozzle kit for it.

I sent kris@ssp an email but I haven't heard back yet. Maybe it got spam filtered or they're busy.

Loving this m5 business

Last edited by 135Hoser; 10-19-2016 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #7
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Hoser View Post
I'm in Northern Alberta.

Got my JB4 installed yesterday. spins the wheels in 1-2-3, but I am on winter tires with studs in them, so that doesn't help traction any. I might have to put it to map 0 (disabled) for winter to save my studs.

My amp harness is in the mail, should be here tomorrow.

Still need to go in and do the boost control module.

Thanks to everyone at BMS for getting my order out the door quickly.

Couple issues, A couple push pins on the trim up the left hand side (the giant piece we had to remove to get the JB4 into a safe spot) was annoying, even with a proper tool.

We found breaking the air boxes down into halfs was a little easier to manage than trying to do the whole box at once. I managed to break the locking pin on the passenger side maf, but my mechanic said it wasn't my fault, I shouldn't have been able to pull the locking pin right out just by barely trying. Oh well, it fits pretty snugly without it.

I can't wait to get meth going. Going to go with a BMS kit. They offer the charge pipes with meth bungs, and a dual nozzle kit for it.

I sent kris@ssp an email but I haven't heard back yet. Maybe it got spam filtered or they're busy.

Loving this m5 business
I sent you a PM...
Appreciate 0