01-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #23
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
ahhh sh*t... don't say that!! I'm having enough trouble convincing myself to part with my beloved M3 as it is!!

please tell me the M5 is a good step up from the M3, rather than a side-step...
it is a definitely a huge step-up from the m3
but they are just so different
and i just love the sound of NA engines... like most of us do
but catless dp's make great job on TT engine
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #24
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Both cars are good in their own way. I can't see myself stepping down to the m3. It is a step up in luxury and performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #25
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
it is a definitely a huge step-up from the m3
but they are just so different
and i just love the sound of NA engines... like most of us do
but catless dp's make great job on TT engine
Can you do catless in NC?
I heard only Florida -
So I lose any power and any issues doing that?
How much BTW?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #26
M5nut
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 LCI

Garage List
2013 M5  [0.00]
2014 330d X Drive M ...  [0.00]
Quote:
ahhh sh*t... don't say that!! I'm having enough trouble convincing myself to part with my beloved M3 as it is!!

Mate, I have had M3's for more than 10 years E36 Saloon, E46 coupe and the last 5 years E92 (manual for a year and then DCT version for 4 years).

They are 2 different cars completely.

I have now had my first M5 for a year and yes I do sometimes miss the M3. I miss the more sporty looking coupe which is low to the ground and nimble around corners and lighter BUT a coupe cannot be compared to a medium size 4 door saloon.

The M5 is a beast. It would blow the M3 away no problem. It has more space and is very luxurious. You see loads of M3's around now in London and surrounding counties but hardly any M5's.

Problem with M5 in the shit UK weather we have most of the time is that you cant floor it as the traction keeps kicking in and all you see is the orange light flashing on the dashboard. In the M3 you can push the car a bit more on the same stretch and conditions.

I nearly lost it the other day when I floored it a little bit on a straight road when it changed down and the power surge swung the rear. This was the first time I nearly crapped it in this car. That was going up from 30 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #27
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5nut View Post
Mate, I have had M3's for more than 10 years E36 Saloon, E46 coupe and the last 5 years E92 (manual for a year and then DCT version for 4 years).

They are 2 different cars completely.

I have now had my first M5 for a year and yes I do sometimes miss the M3. I miss the more sporty looking coupe which is low to the ground and nimble around corners and lighter BUT a coupe cannot be compared to a medium size 4 door saloon.

The M5 is a beast. It would blow the M3 away no problem. It has more space and is very luxurious. You see loads of M3's around now in London and surrounding counties but hardly any M5's.

Problem with M5 in the shit UK weather we have most of the time is that you cant floor it as the traction keeps kicking in and all you see is the orange light flashing on the dashboard. In the M3 you can push the car a bit more on the same stretch and conditions.

I nearly lost it the other day when I floored it a little bit on a straight road when it changed down and the power surge swung the rear. This was the first time I nearly crapped it in this car. That was going up from 30 MPH.
Thanks M5nut,

I understand what you are saying, as NA delivery is something pretty special and now dead in our new M cars. you're right, I can't compare the e92 coupe to a 2ton family saloon... they are two different beasts in their own right. like you, I have had E36, 46 and 92 M 3s... and loved each one. never having owned an M5, but longed to have that sort of power I feel it's the next step up for me. I have a family too so they can experience it with me

someone on this forum said they couldn't decide on which to have, so kept their M3 and bought the M5 too. I think it was the original thread creator here and said the M5 is the first car he actually felt like he could die in....

I have always felt looked after and so safe in the e92 M3 even when I've driven like a prick and should have lost it, she's always got me out of trouble, even when having so much fun. judging by what i've read and what you've said, the M5 needs more respect than that and you have to look after yourself when sitting behind the wheel.

has your little twitchy bum moment made you ease off the right pedal a bit? well at least until the roads dry a bit!?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #28
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks M5nut,

I understand what you are saying, as NA delivery is something pretty special and now dead in our new M cars. you're right, I can't compare the e92 coupe to a 2ton family saloon... they are two different beasts in their own right. like you, I have had E36, 46 and 92 M 3s... and loved each one. never having owned an M5, but longed to have that sort of power I feel it's the next step up for me. I have a family too so they can experience it with me

someone on this forum said they couldn't decide on which to have, so kept their M3 and bought the M5 too. I think it was the original thread creator here and said the M5 is the first car he actually felt like he could die in....

I have always felt looked after and so safe in the e92 M3 even when I've driven like a prick and should have lost it, she's always got me out of trouble, even when having so much fun. judging by what i've read and what you've said, the M5 needs more respect than that and you have to look after yourself when sitting behind the wheel.

has your little twitchy bum moment made you ease off the right pedal a bit? well at least until the roads dry a bit!?

So easy
Low torque = Safer driver and car -
M3 is just slower a bit and lighter so better handling with much less torque and power -
IMHO
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #29
Stiggly
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 LCI

Quote:

I have had 3 M3's with my last one being a limited build comp pack/ Santorini Blue.....absolutely stunning.

I went on a test drive in the M5 and the first obvious statement is that its a big cabin. I have soon got used to this and couldn't imagine being in the M3 anymore. One thing that has helped this adjustment is the power....once rolling the torque is quite something else and puts a bloody huge smile on my face every time.

As mentioned already the UK weather is a pain as all you see is the traction light dancing on the dash - i was accelerating hard in 3rd the other day and watched the light flash constantly.

We had a fairly dry day on sunday and my car was filthy, but i couldn't be bothered to wash her as i just needed to drive and drive.

You will not be disappointed...the car is bonkers
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #30
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggly
Quote:

I have had 3 M3's with my last one being a limited build comp pack/ Santorini Blue.....absolutely stunning.

I went on a test drive in the M5 and the first obvious statement is that its a big cabin. I have soon got used to this and couldn't imagine being in the M3 anymore. One thing that has helped this adjustment is the power....once rolling the torque is quite something else and puts a bloody huge smile on my face every time.

As mentioned already the UK weather is a pain as all you see is the traction light dancing on the dash - i was accelerating hard in 3rd the other day and watched the light flash constantly.

We had a fairly dry day on sunday and my car was filthy, but i couldn't be bothered to wash her as i just needed to drive and drive.

You will not be disappointed...the car is bonkers
Santorini Blue M3
I was taking pic of every single one i saw central, such an amazing colour! I would love to have that colour on my next car! Or Frozen Santorini Blue would be the best option
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 05:22 AM   #31
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Both cars are excellent but both cars are very different. If someone made me choose between the two I would take the M5 every time.

I've sold my M3 and it will go to the new owner next week, took it for a last run this morning, the same run I took the M5 last week, enjoyed it as much in both cars, but have also done the run in a M135i and loved it also. The last bunch of M cars BMW have put out really have been at the top of their league from a whole package point of view.

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #32
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
Both cars are excellent but both cars are very different. If someone made me choose between the two I would take the M5 every time.

I've sold my M3 and it will go to the new owner next week, took it for a last run this morning, the same run I took the M5 last week, enjoyed it as much in both cars, but have also done the run in a M135i and loved it also. The last bunch of M cars BMW have put out really have been at the top of their league from a whole package point of view.

Neil.
Nice post
Appreciate 0