M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW Group and Sixt AG Establish DriveNow Joint Venture for Premium Car Sharing

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Group and Sixt AG establish DriveNow Joint Venture for premium car sharing
COMMENTS
Name:  P90074328.jpg
Views: 3323
Size:  118.6 KB
  • Press Release
Innovative mobility concept for inner cities

Munich . The BMW Group and Sixt AG are planning a unique and innovative car sharing venture. With effect from April 2011 onwards - initially in Munich and later in Berlin - the two companies intend to join forces in offering a modern mobility concept under the brand-name DriveNow; this new product will combine vehicles and service of the highest quality with simple, flexible usage. DriveNow is the first car sharing concept to place an emphasis on efficient premium vehicles and comprehensive service. Vehicles may be hired and dropped off wherever the customer needs them, thus clearly differentiating DriveNow from products offered by other competitors.

Sixt AG and the BMW Group intend to bundle their car sharing activities in the DriveNow joint venture, in which each company will hold a 50 percent stake. The BMW Group will provide the premium vehicles and the technology within the cars, while Sixt AG will contribute premium services, car-hire know-how, IT systems and a comprehensive customer registration network.
The BMW Group will be offering DriveNow under the new sub-trademark BMW i, which stands for innovative mobility services and which will reinforce the position of the original BMW brand as a sustainable and forward-looking brand.

Ian Robertson, Member of the Board of Management of the BMW AG for Sales and Marketing stated: “As a mobility provider, the BMW Group is not simply an automobile manufacturer. There is a growing demand for flexible mobility products in urban areas. DriveNow’s premium car sharing services are aimed precisely at this gap in the market. We are aiming to launch a profitable new line of business while at the same time introducing potential new customers to our brands.” Mr. Robertson also went on to say that car sharing also has a role to play in cutting down traffic volumes, by reducing the time spent searching for parking spaces and in providing an alternative replacement for little-used, old and inefficient vehicles.

Detlev Pätsch, Member of the Sixt AG Board of Management responsibly for Operations stated: “In the middle of 2008, Sixt pioneered innovative car sharing when it started up its SIXTI Car Club in Berlin. Together with BMW, we have now taken this concept a stage further to become DriveNow. The wealth of experience which we have already gained in car rental processes and fleet management systems will enable us from the outset to offer our DriveNow customers complication-free mobility combined with excellent customer service, the basis for a sustainable and profitable business model.”

Easy use
DriveNow is a car sharing scheme that is not dependent on car hire stations. Fixed pick-up and drop-off points are not necessary. Customers will be able to find available vehicles via the internet under www.drive-now.com, via a smartphone app or simply at the roadside. Vehicles can be used immediately without advance reservation or they may be booked in advance via internet or smartphone app. The system is “keyless”: a conventional car key is not necessary. DriveNow vehicles can be opened and closed with a chip on the driving license and activated by pressing the start button.

Having completed an application under www.drive-now.com, it is then only necessary to carry out a one-off registration at a Sixt station in order to check driving license details and enter the chip onto the driving license. Registration can also be carried out at Sixt stations in selected BMW or MINI branches.

18 to 21 year-old beginner drivers can also become active DriveNow members if they have already participated successfully in an approved driving safety training course. The BMW Group also offers such training courses.

Transparent price model
The DriveNow price model will be simple, transparent and all-inclusive. Users pay a one-off registration fee of euro 29. The charge for using vehicles is 29 cents (including sales tax) per minute. This rate per minute covers all costs, including parking fees and fuel. For the MINI Cooper there is a maximum hourly charge of euro 14.90. If the customer wants to interrupt the journey but keep the DriveNow vehicle, it only costs 10 cents per minute. In thus way, DriveNow combines the benefits of this innovative mobility concept which does not necessarily involve hire-stations with the functionality of traditional, stationary car sharing. . DriveNow is also making special introductory offer for the first 1,000 members. The one-off registration fee is reduced to euro 19 and they also receive 90 minutes free of charge.

In addition to free parking in public areas in the centre of town, DriveNow will also make spaces available in selected multi-storey car parks as required.

Start off in Munich and Berlin, with plans for international expansion
Subject to approval by the anti-trust authorities, DriveNow will start off with effect from April 2011 initially in Munich and then in Berlin. Further European cities will be added in the coming years. The long-term plan is to introduce DriveNow on other continents as well. Both the product and the brand have global appeal. By the year 2020, the plan is for DriveNow to have one million members worldwide.
DriveNow will start off in Munich with approximately 300 BMW 1 Series and MINI vehicles. The resulting vehicle density within the Mittlerer Ring will ensure that customers will usually have no more than 500 metres to walk to the nearest available vehicle. The scheme is due to start up in Berlin with approximately 500 vehicles.

First-ever car sharing scheme offering premium vehicles
DriveNow is the first car sharing concept to focus on top class products and services. During the initial phase DriveNow will offer various BMW 1 Series and MINI models. The plan is also to use electric vehicles in the future. Depending on demand, other models can be added to the car sharing fleet flexibly at a later stage. The cars are all premium vehicles with at least four seats, luxury fittings (e.g. parking assistance, air conditioning, heated seats, etc.) and fitted with extremely efficient engines. The cars are all easily recognisable with the DriveNow logo.

Sixt’s premium service package guarantees extreme flexibility whereby cars can be hired and returned spontaneously. DriveNow stands for seamless procedures and high quality service.

Sixt and BMW strengthen their strategic partnership
Sixt AG and the BMW Group have already been working together for several years to provide mobility services. Both companies are working intensively on developing and implementing ideas for innovative mobility services. Cooperation arrangements between the two companies will be further strengthened in future.

Name:  P90074327.jpg
Views: 3261
Size:  127.5 KB

Name:  P90074324.jpg
Views: 3350
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  P90074325.jpg
Views: 3295
Size:  145.5 KB

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
wilstave
Legend
Rep
Drives: Loading...

freakin awesome
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Adj5633
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Screws

wow this is interesting
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

nice!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
numba1guju
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 VW Jetta

ok sorry but did anyone think about how many thefts there could be with the type of hackers sitting around? Its a nice idea, but not sure if it would survive
      03-22-2011, 03:47 AM   #6
BeemerBoyUK
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D

I think this cheapens the BMW image...... It's not a premium car anymore when anyone can have it, it's lost it's aspirational place among consumers...... Bad move BMW :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sir I would like to reserve my M3 6MT....
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #8
LyriCeZ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 TS 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBoyUK View Post
I think this cheapens the BMW image...... It's not a premium car anymore when anyone can have it, it's lost it's aspirational place among consumers...... Bad move BMW :-(

What are you talking about? BMW, Audi, and Mercs in Germany are like Chevy, Ford, and Honda in the U.S.A. They are EVERYWHERE.. It will have zero impact on BMWs image.. hell it may actually increase it when more people get to experience them.

If and when this hits the states we'd most like get the BMW i vehicles and not the main stream bimmers.

2006 E90 325i
- ZPP, ZSP(partial shocks/springs), 162's 18", License Plate PDC, L.U.X 4.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #9
BeemerBoyUK
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyriCeZ View Post

What are you talking about? BMW, Audi, and Mercs in Germany are like Chevy, Ford, and Honda in the U.S.A. They are EVERYWHERE.. It will have zero impact on BMWs image.. hell it may actually increase it when more people get to experience them.

If and when this hits the states we'd most like get the BMW i vehicles and not the main stream bimmers.
I think i'm pretty well placed to comment seeming as i actually live in europe and travel to the germany often..... You might see a considerably greater number of german manufactured vehicles in germany, but thats mainly due to the europeans purchasing habits.... we are much more likely to buy something of quality, that we feel will last, rather than something that we can afford that won't last as long. Professionals perticularily aspire to own german vehicles as they represent a projection of the self they want to be, they are therefore aspirational.... take away the aspiration, take away the desire to own one. I've no doubt BMW will still sell, i'm just saying that even germans would class a BMW above the likes of merc and audi, and this might just scuff their shine a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
TsunamiFury
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i, Porsche Taycan 4S+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBoyUK View Post
I think i'm pretty well placed to comment seeming as i actually live in europe and travel to the germany often..... You might see a considerably greater number of german manufactured vehicles in germany, but thats mainly due to the europeans purchasing habits.... we are much more likely to buy something of quality, that we feel will last, rather than something that we can afford that won't last as long. Professionals perticularily aspire to own german vehicles as they represent a projection of the self they want to be, they are therefore aspirational.... take away the aspiration, take away the desire to own one. I've no doubt BMW will still sell, i'm just saying that even germans would class a BMW above the likes of merc and audi, and this might just scuff their shine a bit.
I'm pretty sure BMW renting out a bunch of low end 116 and 120D's isn't going to kill the 'aspirational' value of BMW's 335-550-760 series vehicles. Theres a significant difference between BMW's low end chuck wagons and the fleet sold in the US (i.e. only the top models).
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Ummmm... how is this different from zipcar?
Appreciate 0