BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #23
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Nice setup, thanks for the pics...

I have heard that as a technique, once your jammer goes off, you should slow rapidly and deactivate the jammer so that the cop can get a good laze while you are at a normals speed so they are tricked into thinking the issue is in their gun and not coming from your car. Do you not do this since you are in traffic most of the time?

When I drive at performance speeds I tend to be on wide open, desolate Texas roads, so I think I will need the controls in an easy to reach location that can also be out of sight.
      03-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #24
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post

I have heard that as a technique, once your jammer goes off, you should slow rapidly and deactivate the jammer so that the cop can get a good laze while you are at a normals speed so they are tricked into thinking the issue is in their gun and not coming from your car. Do you not do this since you are in traffic most of the time?

When I drive at performance speeds I tend to be on wide open, desolate Texas roads, so I think I will need the controls in an easy to reach location that can also be out of sight.
I never shut it off. They are perfectly legal here in GA and if they get no read on me then they can't really cite me at a certain speed. Besides, once they don't get a read after a few tries I am sure they move to other cars. When I tested mine only one gun finally got a read and that was at 20 feet. By then I am slowed to a crawl.

No need to mess with those controls unless you are going to switch off the LI and the LI on/off is that huge switch (green) and can be done quickly. Like I said, I never even bother.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #25
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post

I never shut it off. They are perfectly legal here in GA and if they get no read on me then they can't really cite me at a certain speed. Besides, once they don't get a read after a few tries I am sure they move to other cars. When I tested mine only one gun finally got a read and that was at 20 feet. By then I am slowed to a crawl.

No need to mess with those controls unless you are going to switch off the LI and the LI on/off is that huge switch (green) and can be done quickly. Like I said, I never even bother.
Not smart in my opinion. Your approach leaves you open to two risks:
1) they could make up a fabricated speed reading. In GA they are not required to have a printout from the gun.
2) they stop you and harass you even if they can't do anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

I agree with Stealth. I think it is wise to turn off the LI after slowing to posted speed limit. You might as well let them get a reading at the posted limit. Then there is no suspicion.

Then flip it back on after you are away from the cop.

It is very easy to flip on and off.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #27
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

On an isolated highway when you're basically the only car targeted, you are asking to be pulled over and hassled if you don't turn the LI off when you're at the posted limit. JTG on a cop is not wise.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #28
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Here in California the CHP are generally intellegent, well trained folks. If you JTG they will most likely figure out what's happening. They know the vehicle code very well, and can pretty much always find reasonable cause for a pull over, and possibly even a citation of some sort. I don't want to invite the hassle, so if I'm ever hit (hasn't happened yet) I will slow down and turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #29
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Not smart in my opinion. Your approach leaves you open to two risks:
1) they could make up a fabricated speed reading. In GA they are not required to have a printout from the gun.
2) they stop you and harass you even if they can't do anything.
I have ZERO issues. Once I got stopped and there was an exact car as mine in front of me. I could tell the cop was not sure which car he shot and I said "listen, to be honest I have jammers". He went and looked at them and told me to have nice day. The guy was the head of some special unit here too. Of course not all will respond favorably. Last ditch effort.

You can operate yours how you like. Fact is that it does not shoot error codes so they don't really know for sure (I also do not think of them as unintelligent human beings and I assume that many understand you are jamming them) . They usually switch to the next car after not being able to get a read. As stated, I have done real world testing on my system with 5 of the most prominent guns here and I have personally seen how they behave. What happens is their gun just beeps as if it is trying to get a read and never connects. Some throw a code that tells them there is no lock and some don't throw any codes at all. They just beep. Unlike some systems the LI does not throw a code that actually identifies a JTG. Lots of people slow down to a legal speed and then switch the LI off so they can get a read. This is sort of silly to me also (again, referencing my comment about assuming that cops are intelligent people who see this for time to time in the normal course of their day) because if you are hauling butt and they can't get a read then you slow way down and miraculously they can now get a read I am fairly certain that most of them understand what happened. End result, if the cop wants to be a jerk and get you like you guys are thinking then he will whether you shut it off or not.

In any case, you will still rarely use the controls for the Bel and if you need to switch off the LI you reach under and flip the switch.

I never have any issues whatsoever. Operate it as you like.

And they can harass you all they like and perhaps issue a ticket such as "reckless driving" but it exposes them to subjectivity. In the event that they issue a serious ticket such as that, it is fairly easy to argue that down to at very minimum a small infraction. If they were to issue a false read that you know they were unable to obtain those can be argued as well. Very easy here in GA to pull certifications, etc. as a first step. You can then disprove the effectiveness of the Lidar against the LI . A pain in the rear? Yes. But it is EXACTLY the same kind of ticket you would be arguing (completely without grounds) if you either did NOT jam him or if he wanted to be a jerk and get you for a higher speed anyway if you jammed him at high speed and then let him get a slow speed read. So again, sort of six of one and half dozen of the other. Do as you wish. I think it is false security however. But if it makes you feel better...

Last edited by ColdList; 03-08-2013 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #30
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisratz View Post
Here in California the CHP are generally intellegent, well trained folks. If you JTG they will most likely figure out what's happening. They know the vehicle code very well, and can pretty much always find reasonable cause for a pull over, and possibly even a citation of some sort. I don't want to invite the hassle, so if I'm ever hit (hasn't happened yet) I will slow down and turn it off.
I know the illegality of the device in CA, my question is, can the CHP also confiscate the device in addition to the ticket?
      03-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #31
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
I know the illegality of the device in CA, my question is, can the CHP also confiscate the device in addition to the ticket?
I haven't come across any reliable info in regards to that, I've heard its a fix-it ticket type of infraction, and I've also heard that LAPD motocops write it up as interfering with a police officer or some such thing. I'm guessing its just not enforced, and if those of us who use jammers keep a low profile it will stay that way.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #32
rrides
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5

Cops removing your laser jammer

Below is info regarding the States where laser jammers are legal and illegal. In all cases that I read, the crime is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine.

http://www.laserjammer.net/2013/01/1...r-jammer-laws/

"While there are no federal laws banning the manufacturing, sale, possession, or use of laser / LIDAR jammers, some states have implemented their own laws regulating laser jammers. Nine states and Washington, DC have made laser jammers illegal; their legality is debated in Nebraska; and forty states have no laws of record regarding laser jammers."

It is illegal in all 50 States for an officer of the law to remove any component from your vehicle. If he suspects you are operating an illegal jamming device he can cite you for it and prove the accusation in a court of law. He can potentially impound your vehicle to protect the evidence if there is is probable cause to believe that a felony has been committed. He can not legally remove devices from your vehicle. Any attempt by an over zealous under educated patrol officer to do so should prompt you to request a supervisor and begin video recording your encounter. I say that with certainty, after serving in federal law enforcement for 4 years.

While training for federal LE service all of our civil rights training videos are of local LE officers doing the wrong thing. Most often that comes from a lack of training and a lot of ego. The overwhelming majority of cops are great people looking to be of service to their communities. I wish it were not the case that some who enforce the law fail to understand how it works but that is reality.

An informed citizenry is the only thing that prevents a tyrannical government. You can very easily access the official code for which ever State you live in online and read the law of the land where you reside or travel.

Laser Interceptor is currently the only manufacture producing diodes that mount vertically in the grill of the BMW but fire horizontally to insure the widest coverage across the front of the vehicle. Call Cliff, the manufacture rep, he will happily explain it to you and answer any other questions. He did so for me.

Happy motoring!
Appreciate 0