M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
Andynev1982
Rep
Drives: Soon to be M5

Tips and Tricks

So I've had my M5 about a month now. Haven't had chance to drive it much yet so am still getting used to it! While I know my way around BMW's reasonably well I thought I'd see if the good folks of this forum have any cool tips or tricks (you know the sort of things you only discover 2-3 months into owning a new car)

A good one I just figured out by chance is that you can programme the M1 / M2 settings by just holding them down when you've selected the combo of comfort / sport / sport+ that you want. No need to use the iDrive.

Anything else like this?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I did not know that, one trick from the DCT is if you're in S mode and stamp on the accelerator and pull the left paddle it will drop to the lowest available gear, a kind of manual kick down.

Helps if you're in say 6 or 7 cruising in S mode and need instant oomph!

(but I'm sure most know that anyway)
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
Andynev1982
Rep

Nice - that's exactly the sort of thing! Definitely giving that a go next time.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
AshDrivesMs
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I did not know that, one trick from the DCT is if you're in S mode and stamp on the accelerator and pull the left paddle it will drop to the lowest available gear, a kind of manual kick down.

Helps if you're in say 6 or 7 cruising in S mode and need instant oomph!

(but I'm sure most know that anyway)
Good stuff thanks. I was just telling someone yesterday how I thought it was so ridiculous that the car would just go down one gear in all modes when it's obvious that anyone dropping into manual wants to step on it.
      03-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Quote:
I have to say I remembered this from a different thread where it was stated, but I have never done it. It scares me a little bit to put that much control in the hands of the DCT with this car and not know for sure which gear I am about to end up in. Thinking 7->3 @ 70 MPH and wondering if traction will hold....

What is it really like? Any videos? Maybe I am just too big of a wuss and should just do it rather than clicking off the gears myself...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

There is another much older thread on this same topic, but I forgot when and where it is. Let me see if I can find it.

Update: Yeah I can't find it. Or at least I'm too lazy too look harder.

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-30-2015 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #7
Bottch77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition, McLaren 12C

Well my M5 is still in winter hibernation. We actually got another inch or so of snow again up here this past Saturday which made another salty mess of the roads... I need spring!

Here is another little trick from what I can recall (been so long since I've driven her)... Creep mode where the car will creep along at idle which is similar to the way a regular automatic "creeps" along. To make the car do this gently jab and release the accelerator pedal and the car will slowly forward.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:33 AM   #8
Andynev1982
Rep

So here's a trick I wish I knew the answer to - there must be a way.

I have M2 button set to sport + on everything and D3 on the gear changes.

However, when I take over the gear changes by pulling a paddle, it defaults to S1,rather than S3. Is there a way to ensure that the shift speed in S mode, mirrors whatever is active in D mode immediately prior to pulling the paddle?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 04:43 AM   #9
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
I have to say I remembered this from a different thread where it was stated, but I have never done it. It scares me a little bit to put that much control in the hands of the DCT with this car and not know for sure which gear I am about to end up in. Thinking 7->3 @ 70 MPH and wondering if traction will hold....

What is it really like? Any videos? Maybe I am just too big of a wuss and should just do it rather than clicking off the gears myself...
No videos but it's good fun, I knew about the feature from my previous DCT M3, best to leave the TC on or do it when the weather is warm and dry!

In a way it is no different to slamming your foot down in D3 in that the result is the same 7th to 3rd @70mph. (to use your example) but you feel more involved as you're pulling the paddle.

For those that haven't used the feature before you must press the pedal all the way down to the kick down point as that tells the car that you want to drop all the way down when you pull the left paddle. (not sure I made that clear using the phrase "stamp")
Appreciate 0