Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-14-2014, 05:51 AM   #1
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

M5 - Pure Metal Silver Vs Yas Marina Blue Vs Shakir Orange

I am deciding between these there colors and going Individual route this time. Pre LCI I had MCB / silverstone.

Need help in deciding the interior with these colors. Black will be my last option. I'll be going Full Leather and price and wait time is not an issue. Please advise the best two interiror color combo with these exterior colors and also what kind of sticking or any other individual option I should pick.

1) Pure Metal Silver - I was thinking full platinum including platinum headliner.

2) Yas Marina Blue - Full platinum or silverstone and matching headliner. Can we order Yas marina blue ?

3) Shakir Orange - Apart from black or SO interior what else would look good here ?

Any other color / combo suits M5 ( ext / int) ?
      06-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyguy
I am deciding between these there colors and going Individual route this time. Pre LCI I had MCB / silverstone.

Need help in deciding the interior with these colors. Black will be my last option. I'll be going Full Leather and price and wait time is not an issue. Please advise the best two interiror color combo with these exterior colors and also what kind of sticking or any other individual option I should pick.

1) Pure Metal Silver - I was thinking full platinum including platinum headliner.

2) Yas Marina Blue - Full platinum or silverstone and matching headliner. Can we order Yas marina blue ?

3) Shakir Orange - Apart from black or SO interior what else would look good here ?

Pure metal silver is a 10k BMW individual option ( supposedly has real silver in the paint ) . I think you're decision just got easier lol .
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Pure metal silver is a 10k BMW individual option ( supposedly has real silver in the paint ) . I think you're decision just got easier lol .
$10K...LOL. I think I like it and want to make my M5 unique this time. No regular colors . I am willing to pay if the wait period is not crazy.
      06-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyguy View Post

Personally, I don't like Pure Metal Silver. Here's my assessment of it having seen in person at the M Design Studio in Munich.
+ The glossiest car finish I have ever seen - looks liquid

- Silver has a warm hue rather than a cold hue. It's more like Porsche's Platinum Silver rather than Rhodium Silver. I don't like warm silver - I like the look of cold hard metal. Also because it is warm instead of cold in hue it doesn't look like liquid metal to me - it looks more like a platinum silver car covered in water.

- While the gloss is impressive, I think it would be a nightmare to maintain in real world. I remember getting annoyed when leaf fall would cause faint marring on my gloss painted BMWs. On this car the effect will be even more extreme. I think this kind of finish is great in a showroom but has no business on a day-to-day drivable car.

I would strongly encourage you towards a Frozen color - Frozen Grey/Opal White is my favorite combination. If you don't want to do that, then perhaps consider YMB, MCB, or a custom color.

If you still decide to go with PMS then I think a Platinum interior is a must.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 06-14-2014 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
PMS

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
PMS

Wow looks really glossy....touch me not type ..LOL
      06-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Leaning more towards YMB. Do you u know how much is cost for YMB and wait time ? What interior would like nice ? Platinum or silver stone ? Is a matching headliner a good idea, just to brighten up interior ?
      06-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Leaning more towards YMB. Do you u know how much is cost for YMB and wait time ? What interior would like nice ? Platinum or silver stone ? Is a matching headliner a good idea, just to brighten up interior ?
Have you seen YMB? To me YMB looks good in bright light when the sun catches the flakes. But otherwise it looks a little washed out. I think you would be better off asking M to replicate Riviera Blue, or going for something like Laguna Seca Blue.

I think Platinum goes well with YSB. Silverstone will work too and save you about $5000. I would get the matching headliner with Platinum because it does brighten the interior considerably. I used to have a full Platinum interior in my previous M5 and people were often wowed by it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow looks really glossy....touch me not type ..LOL
Yes the gloss is on another level entirely. However its the sustainability of the gloss that concerns me. Especially when spending 10-14k on this finish. Most other individual colors are $5k.

Imagine pollen season, dust accumulation, etc. The shinier the finish the more noticeable is surface dirt.

By contrast on a frozen grey M5 like mine, surface dirt is barely noticeable. I parked my car outside for 30 minutes the other day and 2 people were taking photos of it when I got back. And bear in mind this car hadn't been washed in 6 weeks. Still looked stunning.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Have you seen YMB? To me YMB looks good in bright light when the sun catches the flakes. But otherwise it looks a little washed out. I think you would be better off asking M to replicate Riviera Blue, or going for something like Laguna Seca Blue.

I think Platinum goes well with YSB. Silverstone will work too and save you about $5000. I would get the matching headliner with Platinum because it does brighten the interior considerably. I used to have a full Platinum interior in my previous M5 and people were often wowed by it.
I am loving that Yas Marina Blue on M3. Looks glossy and full platinum interior and headliner, I think it'll be one sexy beast
      06-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

the YMB M5 iND did looked stunning in person. I really have grown to like that color. Silver looks nice but not worth the premium in my opinion. If you go for indiv you should strive for a color that stands out IMO.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am loving that Yas Marina Blue on M3. Looks glossy and full platinum interior and headliner, I think it'll be one sexy beast
Agree. However I would request Opal White instead of Platinum and see if they can do that. I think Opal White with YMB would be even more striking.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyone knows good dealer who'll deliver in Ohio ?
      06-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

make sure you do contrast stitching. also if you are doing a non-black interior, I would recommend having individual do the back of the front seats in black. the contrast there helps a lot.
      06-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
make sure you do contrast stitching. also if you are doing a non-black interior, I would recommend having individual do the back of the front seats in black. the contrast there helps a lot.
good point...What contrast stiching will go with Opal white or platinum interior if I go with Yas Marina blue ?
      06-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #16
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
the YMB M5 iND did looked stunning in person. I really have grown to like that color. Silver looks nice but not worth the premium in my opinion. If you go for indiv you should strive for a color that stands out IMO.
This is what I plan on doing
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #17
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

I believe PMS with what I term the 'avlnch' interior (do a search; as described above (contrast stitching and seat backs in black) in Amaro brown) would look great. IMO PMS looks pretty good under the lights in the following video, but as Stealth warns above (for YMB) may not look so good under natural light (pic below), especially in overcast weather conditions: -

If you're worried about maintenance, get it sealed with a new nano tech sealant (some of them now claim 9H hardness).

If money/time not an issue, why not go full individual and commission your own colour(s). Have a search for the Blue.Thunder post if you have not already done so. This is the option to go for if you truly want a unique M5.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dionysus; 06-14-2014 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #18
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousq View Post
This is what I plan on doing
can't wait!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #19
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
good point...What contrast stiching will go with Opal white or platinum interior if I go with Yas Marina blue ?
Black stitching on white always looks good. Then you can do white stitching on the black areas (such as dash and door pockets/top of door).

Don't under estimate a black interior with contrast stitching. Always looks fantastic.. And you could choose white or blue or whatever color exterior paint in thread color.
      06-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #20
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

For my individual E60 M5 I did platinum headliner and platinum leather. Headliner matching leather color also looks great. Search avlnch frozen grey E60 M5 in Google if you want to see photos

There's F10 photos of platinum leather and headliner on this forum as well.