11-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #23
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
I was hoping for a different resolution for you. You need to find a different shop, I would've done that way before changing the bearings.

I went through 3 "performance" shops that mainly focused on BMWs before finding one that actually solved the problem I was having last year.

Don't give up!
I think i will take it to another shop and pay some diagnostic time to see what they come up with. BMW pretty much gave up and now I am literally going crazy with a stethoscope wverytime i here the noise to try and locate it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:13 PM   #24
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep

I was able to get the car to consistently make the oise for a couple hours today and spent the time with my stethoscope. I am almost 100% positive the noise is external of the engine and coming from either under the turbos and echoing, or somewhere on bank 2. Its pretty obvious to me that the sound is right near the bank 2 turbo, HPFP area.

Kind of irritating that the shop even thought it was a bottom end sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:34 PM   #25
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherM View Post
I was able to get the car to consistently make the oise for a couple hours today and spent the time with my stethoscope. I am almost 100% positive the noise is external of the engine and coming from either under the turbos and echoing, or somewhere on bank 2. Its pretty obvious to me that the sound is right near the bank 2 turbo, HPFP area.

Kind of irritating that the shop even thought it was a bottom end sound.
Does the car have downpipes or had in the past? It sounds like it could be a loose v-band clamp too.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 09:51 PM   #26
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does the car have downpipes or had in the past? It sounds like it could be a loose v-band clamp too.
No, its been stock its whole life and BMW just replaced the cats under warranty so I think they would have fixed that when they were there.

I just cant imagine what under the turbos could make that sound. Dont particularly feel like pulling it all apart just to find nothing either.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 10:01 PM   #27
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherM View Post
Quote:
No, its been stock its whole life and BMW just replaced the cats under warranty so I think they would have fixed that when they were there.

I just cant imagine what under the turbos could make that sound. Dont particularly feel like pulling it all apart just to find nothing either.
Wait, they just replaced the cats? Those clamps are what hold them together to the turbo. Without being tightened properly, they become loose from the vibrations real quick and rattle.

You can probably attempt to to loosen the heat shield right above them and lift it up slightly to check for looseness.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 10:07 PM   #28
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep

Sorry, i should have stated that the noise was there before they replaced the cats.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #29
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep

I took the advice and tried a well known BMW shop for a third opinion on the noise. In less than an hour they came back and showed me exactly where the noise was coming from........freaken water pump pulley!

Anyone who reads this should take away what i have learned. Just because BMW cant figure it out and another shop can't, doesnt mean another shop wont know right away. It is extremely evident to me at this point that when choosing a shop it is crucial to find one who has a significant amount of experience with the S63.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60075.00
M5_Raz514.00
      12-14-2021, 01:52 PM   #30
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep

In case anyone was wondering, replacing the water pump, hoses, clamps, and replacing the lines on top that always fail.......total bill from the shop is $2k

Just spent 3k on rod bearings, 1100 on control arms, and now 2k on this. Car better run nice and quiet without any issues for the next year lol.
Appreciate 0