BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-17-2021, 02:18 AM   #1
Lewiswilsonm5
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

M5 Limp

Good morning guys

I was driving along with the wife and baby in the car so was not pushing the car at all then I had a drive chain error continue journey moderately or words to that effect.

At the time the range was approx 30miles so did need some fuel and there was a station 100 metres from where I went into limp mode.

Managed to get the car there and out in the usual v power fuel. Car started was very lumpy and did not want to move so pulled up in the garage and called green flag.

They arrived and ran their fault code reader and I had P0087 & P0040

I had to wait three hours then to be towed home. Green flag seem to think that it’s the o2 sensor which is causing the p0087 low fuel rail error code and have quoted me £200 to replace. I also called bmw roadside assistance who said it would be £175 jist for a technician to come and run diagnostics.

Just after a bit of advice from the experts on here as I’m not sure I trust the green flag guys….

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Car is standard and has been fully serviced by BMW last major service was completed two months ago with the plugs changed

Thanks

Lewis
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 02:49 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewiswilsonm5 View Post
Good morning guys

I was driving along with the wife and baby in the car so was not pushing the car at all then I had a drive chain error continue journey moderately or words to that effect.

At the time the range was approx 30miles so did need some fuel and there was a station 100 metres from where I went into limp mode.

Managed to get the car there and out in the usual v power fuel. Car started was very lumpy and did not want to move so pulled up in the garage and called green flag.

They arrived and ran their fault code reader and I had P0087 & P0040

I had to wait three hours then to be towed home. Green flag seem to think that it’s the o2 sensor which is causing the p0087 low fuel rail error code and have quoted me £200 to replace. I also called bmw roadside assistance who said it would be £175 jist for a technician to come and run diagnostics.

Just after a bit of advice from the experts on here as I’m not sure I trust the green flag guys….

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Car is standard and has been fully serviced by BMW last major service was completed two months ago with the plugs changed

Thanks

Lewis
With these when the fuel reads just under a quarter tank then it's best to fill up.
With 30 miles to go it's too nearly empty then going up a steep hill can cause a no fuel suction and can be bad for the engine.
Let it sit for a bit leave ignition on for a few minutes and try again, the fuel has to go through a low pressure and high pressure fuel pump and it's probably an air lock.
I belong to just the BMW breakdown service so a bit puzzled why you went with Green Flag,GF are ok for run of the mill cars but these need the kosher breakdown service.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2021, 03:08 AM   #3
Lewiswilsonm5
Rep

Re

Thanks for the reply did try that last night but the car has been off overnight so will try leaving the ignition on as you mentioned.

Only reason I’m with green flag it comes with my banks package so used them to get me home.

Cheers

Lewis
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 03:22 AM   #4
Lewiswilsonm5
Rep

Have just tried the above car started had the drive carefully message and a strong smell of petrol and quite a lot of clear smoke from the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:31 AM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep

Does it clear and is the car running on all 8 cylinders, if the petrol smell continues then it's probably a seized injector (from not having petrol) switch off and get to dealer or indy, not advisable to drive it there.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #6
Lewiswilsonm5
Rep

Just a quick update took it into the stealership

After them charging the diagnostic fee they found a fuel injector had seized. Replaced that and then advised an oil and filter change which was annoying at this was only completed with the plugs two months ago!
Appreciate 2
J11SEK268.00
M5Rick60072.50
      10-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

After them charging the diagnostic fee they found a fuel injector had seized. Replaced that and then advised an oil and filter change which was annoying at this was only completed with the plugs two months ago!
With an injector stuck open raw fuel goes into the oil and you know that's bad so it needs to come out.
Myself I add red Redex to the fuel at every tank fill, it's good stuff as it primes the injectors and protects your fuel system reducing CO2 also.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2021, 02:21 AM   #8
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

Quote:

Just pay the money 💴 and take the hit, the consequences of not changing the oil are far worse than paying £200ish for this!! Ruined/wrecked engine for one!
Hope it gets sorted without anything worse, reckon you've dodged a bullet if only the injector and oil change cures it
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60072.50
      11-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
Lewiswilsonm5
Rep

Hi guys

So car is running fine no power issues the smell of petrol has now gone too

Yesterday I noticed the Check engine light illuminated in yellow but no message on the I drive. I’d like to think I’d notice the light but not sure if it came on prior to yesterday.

I called rac to read the faults and they said no faults are stored and everything is running fine.

Has anyone got a bmw obd and near the Portsmouth area that I could travel too read and re set. As mentioned above the RAC scanner didn’t show and codes and said emmisons temps and everything else all normal
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 11:25 AM   #10
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys

Yesterday I noticed the Check engine light illuminated in yellow but no message on the I drive. I’d like to think I’d notice the light but not sure if it came on prior to yesterday.

I called rac to read the faults and they said no faults are stored and everything is running fine.

Has anyone got a bmw obd and near the Portsmouth area that I could travel too read and re set. As mentioned above the RAC scanner didn’t show and codes and said emmisons temps and everything else all normal
I've got a non expensive OBD 11 for £26 and that cancels CEL out easily.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #11
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys

Here's the simple OBD 11 purchased.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0