M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
wolfmobil
Private
Rep
Drives: Horse

F10 M5 brakes (long term update). Should I order carbon ceramic brakes?

Below is the link to the latest update to a Car Magazine M5 long term review. Now I am wondering wether I should order ceramics. What do you think?

BMW M5 (2012) long-term test review
By the CAR road test team
Long Term Tests
08 May 2012 16:01

Steel brakes clogging up on our M5 - 8 May 2012

Had a quick peek at the M5’s cross-drilled brake discs the other day and noticed they were clogged with carbon deposits. Every hole on the front discs is full, while the rear discs are slowly filling up. I actually ended up inspecting them after feeling that the brakes weren’t performing as well as they had: the pedal feel is too soft for my liking, and I’m not convinced that they’re totally up to stopping a car of this power and weight in give-or-take situations.

I’ve found myself triggering the ABS on a few occasions now, and I know that would have culminated in a lock-up and, perhaps, a crash if the ABS safety net wasn’t there.

That’s a shame, because M has a reputation for equipping its cars with marginal brakes, and I’d hoped that the new F10 with its six-pot stoppers would put an end to that. Anyway, I’ll give them a clean and see what happens.

By Ben Barry

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...m-test-review/
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

I just returned from BMW service today. My breaks can't handle 2-3 minutes of spirited driving and hard braking, they go extremely soft and started squeaking howling at 20 km/h and squeaking when coming to a full stop.

They inspected the brake pads and said that they're good, but I insisted on replacing them. My car has 5600 km. I'm waiting for ceramic brakes to be available because under stressful spirited driving (street racing in traffic if you like) these brakes can't handle more than a few minutes. I have given up a few races already because I wasn't sure my 'brakes gone extremely soft' would be reliable. My E63 M6 had way more reliable brakes and I don't remember them overheating ever. Is it that F10 has inferior brakes considering its increased weight and power?

Off-topic, but just remembered that I re-raced that Panamera Turbo today on a dry warm road and M5 F10 steadily walks away from it after 100 km/h.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
mrhonest
Oil pump waitlister
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Frozen Black

I am glad I opted for the Ceramic brakes, I figured if it is being offered as an option there should be a reason for them beyond just bragging rights. Brake fade on a car this size has got be pretty bad no matter how good the system is, I notice brake fade even on my GTR which is supposed to have one of the best systems in the word under heavy use. People who say Ceramic brakes are only for race cars miss the point that most race cars are light and do not have rear entertainment systems.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
If you kept the 1///M long enough, you would have seen it happen as well. Same on my RS4, the holes on the cross drilled rotors tend to clog up over time but can be easily cleaned, some folks even do it with a drill in a matter of minutes. It not a big deal really, in fact my StopTech BBK on the E39 M5 would exhibit that.

IMO, if you are tracking the car and are also prepared for noise when the ceramic breaks are cold, the go for the Ceramics. Otherwise, overkill. If it were a 3K lb P-car and I wanted to shed every little piece of weight and rotating mass and use it as a designated track car, no question, but on a porky M5 that will be seeing almost entirely road duty, for me personally it is an easy pass.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
wolfmobil
Private
Rep
Drives: Horse

See that was my train of thought too. Besides I have an X6M and it is much heavier that F10 M5, but the breaks work absolutely fine and never fail even under very spirited driving. But since it is not the first negative comment on M5 brakes, it got me thinking.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbimmer View Post
See that was my train of thought too. Besides I have an X6M and it is much heavier that F10 M5, but the breaks work absolutely fine and never fail even under very spirited driving. But since it is not the first negative comment on M5 brakes, it got me thinking.
Interesting, and funnily enough, the brakes were one of the things the X5-X6 ///M have been critiqued in the press, not so much for their lack of performance, but it was the first time a M model didn't have cross-drilled rotors (I guess for those journalists obsessed with looks). I recall a long list of 'firsts' on an M 'car' which many rags pointed to (weight over 4400 lbs, SAV, auto tranny, AWD, FI engine, flat rotors, etc. etc.)
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

I just raced a 2012 Mustang 5.0, Audi RS6 (C06) and C63 AMG about 10 times. M5 is significantly faster than all of them and I got carried away to 300 km/h, after that I did a medium braking to a full stop.

After we stopped, driver of Audi RS6 lit his cigarette on my brake rotors, which were giving out white smoke already.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
I just raced a 2012 Mustang 5.0, Audi RS6 (C06) and C63 AMG about 10 times. M5 is significantly faster than all of them and I got carried away to 300 km/h, after that I did a medium braking to a full stop.

After we stopped, driver of Audi RS6 lit his cigarette on my brake rotors, which were giving out white smoke already.
Damn u guys race a lot out there